• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Arizona Courses

I agree, we do. In my opinion, the best way to do so is to create solid, challenging (yet accessible) courses that can provide revenue for the community, whether by paying for entry fees and/or memberships, or capable of successfully hosting both local and national tournaments.

discgolfkyle, I have to disagree with you. Placing courses within multi-use parks is a bad idea if you're trying to gain validity to the sport. It's a good way to establish disc golf in a community (i.e. Prescott), but Phoenix already has a large disc golfing constituency and I believe the sport to be well-known in the Valley.

Many people directly involved with Vista del Camino and Fountain Hills constantly tell me those courses are on the verge of being pulled, mostly because of the potential danger to non-dg'ers in the immediate area. In fact, VdC was almost pulled in '08 (or '09, can't recall now) when there was an incident on hole #11 where a pedestrian was struck and badly injured. I've been told, "It's only a matter of time before they're gone." Granted, the validity of these types of statements can be challenged, seeing as how VdC and FH have been in the ground for 25+ years.

As I see it, the folks behind the Red Mountain courses have a great thing going. The installation is slated to occupy a setting amongst other sports fields, and a majority of the layout takes the dg'ers away from the facility's other patrons. They've also decided to have two 18-hole courses, I'm sure with the intention of appealing to the widest range of players possible. I've actually been creating a proposal to the City of Phoenix on a similar installation in North Phoenix so I'm very excited to see this course in its finished state!

AWSOME!!.... so on a side note , its snowing in tucson lol WTF

We should have 9 more baskets up before the end of the year at the Bullhead City Riverview DGC. Out of the way of beach goers and the next tee boxes. The "new" 9 will have concrete tee-pads that have already been put into the city's budget for this year. The baskets are not however so we will get sponsorships from local business just like Rob Pine did for the previous 9. It's amazing how easy it is to work with our city.:D

Yeah, looking back on it, the other park users usually come first. That being said, Cave Buttes Rec Area at Cave Creek and Jomax would be a great area. There's nothing there except an RC airplane runway. There's a good amount of vegetation, elevation, and even natural water (the rec area is located behind Cave Creek Dam, but it rarely fills up). It could be a great championship caliber course. And Chillis, which part of the Reach 11 system are you planning on proposing a course?

I have multiple layouts drawn, most of them utilize the land between the two main field sections, then snake around to the east of the soccer fields and around the baseball fields. I'd like to have one start at the top left have corner of the area, by the concrete path and tunnel that goes under Deer Valley Rd. Creating borders with the fields and levy and the available vegetation could provide ample obstacles to carve fairways. There's easily enough length to create one long, bending course.

I haven't checked out Cave Buttes Rec Area. Next time I'm in the area I'll scope it out.

I also have yet to check out the courses in Bullhead and Kingman. Hopefully, I'll be able to hit them up soon and before it gets too hot out there!

Last edited:
The option for starting out by the tunnel sounds great. I know the area extremely well because I run the trails in the Reach 11 area. There are a lot of trees back there and the ground isn't as cruel as the ground at Buffalo ridge. I think it would be fun.

Barring weather issues, looks like the tee pads for the Alpha-9 at Buffalo Ridge are going in this weekend. I believe the schedule is framing on Friday, pouring on Saturday.
If there are changes I'll keep everyone posted.

BTW--if we want to put AZ Disc Golf on the map we need to seriously tout Buffalo Ridge as THE premier 27-hole desert course in the US.

Mike - is there a league at buffalo ridge? I have a week off in March and will spend some time discin in PHX area

Mike - is there a league at buffalo ridge? I have a week off in March and will spend some time discin in PHX area
There is not an official league..we have more of a "Crew". We have tags, but it's very informal. We're merged with another group "Always Disc Golf" (ADG--check 'em out on Facebook), to make a larger crew. We have ADG tournaments throughout the year, but they are always more fun than serious.
We are much about about talking trash with friends than worrying about your score (but we do indeed keep score.) If you take disc golf too seriously you won't want to play with us.
Not trying to scare you away, just keeping it real!! :)

Last edited:
The Fountain Hills fair is this weekend. Most of the holes will be unplayable, and the rest of the course is sure to be packed with pedestrians/tourists. Do yourself a favor and practice at Vista.

Does anyone here compete in the ThunderRidge tournament? I'm kind of interested (I've never played in a tournament before).

Well the guys got the tee pads A thru I poured today at Buffalo Ridge. I get there to help put in some new pin placements (A, B, F, G, & I). Unfortunately for my my weak driving a$$ they are all longer pin placements w/ B & I being crazy, stupid long. :( Oh well, the tee boxes look great. It's going to be fun to play them!!
Come check 'em out everyone!!!

How long are B and I now in the new positions?
As of this morning only "F" is in the new position. The others weren't quite ready. I talked to the Course Am about the new positions and he said they were only "Sometimes" positions. His words.
Got a par on "F" this morning. One of my few during Shenanigans.

Played a glow round on the Ridge Alpha Nine last night! Man it was awesome having tee pads out there!!!