• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ashe, Harmon and Coyote

discNDav

Double Eagle Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
I drove 8.5 hours to Ashe County today, the front 9 there is one of the best 9's I have ever played! The back 9 is very steep and difficult. Weds I get to play Harmon Hills for the first time and early next week I plan on getting to Louisville for Coyote. :)

I drove 8.5 hours to Ashe County today, the front 9 there is one of the best 9's I have ever played! The back 9 is very steep and difficult. Weds I get to play Harmon Hills for the first time and early next week I plan on getting to Louisville for Coyote. :)

I did a trip a couple years ago that included the Charlotte area and Ashe County (Ashe County and Sugaree when it was still showing as in the ground). I will return, and I will spend more time in Ashe County than Charlotte. I loved Charlotte, don't get me wrong. I was just floored that northern part of the state doesn't get more love.

Coyote Trace is the best course that I have played (above Flip City and Holler in the Hills)... but I haven't played Harmon or Ashe. They are both on my list. Just make sure when you go to Coyote to give Eric, the owner, a heads up. He is a great host.

My next day trip will probably be Ashe County>Rolling Pines (New!)>Highland Hills>Yadkin County Park.

I think the NW NC courses get less attention because they are not near population centers and are generally spread out.

so far Ashe, Harmon and Coyote were all very good and probably all 4.5 starts to me. Stoney Hill and IDGC are next on this "wish list" trip :)

Alas, when is anyone ever going to visit Stoney Hill while on a tour of Crappy Courses of the Southeast, so we have a chance to stand out?

Alas, when is anyone ever going to visit Stoney Hill while on a tour of Crappy Courses of the Southeast, so we have a chance to stand out?

this feature's a all inclusive 5 star lodge with after-round back rubs from the owners, right?! ...have always wanted to get out that way :p

It makes me sad I didn't see this thread earlier...the owner of Harmon and I work together and I'm out there all the time. Wish I could've shown you the hills the right way Discndave. If you're ever down again, PM me..

this feature's a all inclusive 5 star lodge with after-round back rubs from the owners, right?! ...have always wanted to get out that way :p

Hope you make it one day. Most of our Minnesota visitors are winter visitors. We like to think it's because they want to see the course with no leaves on the trees, and the grass mown. I'm not one to suggest they leave Minnesota in January for any other reason.

If you do come, get your backrubs before arriving. The course is free to play, but for the amount of money it would take to get a backrub from the owners, you could buy your own course.

Looking to have them leave disappointed?

Yep. They could leave saying, "I lost 4 discs in the pond, 5 pounds climbing the hills, and a quart of blood to the briars, took a 9 on the final hole, but you know, it wasn't entirely bad."

Yep. They could leave saying, "I lost 4 discs in the pond, 5 pounds climbing the hills, and a quart of blood to the briars, took a 9 on the final hole, but you know, it wasn't entirely bad."

Despite it being my fourth course of the day, and it kicking the crap out of me, I left Newberry with a huge smile on my face. It was worth every second of the extra travel time...and the beating!

It makes me sad I didn't see this thread earlier...the owner of Harmon and I work together and I'm out there all the time. Wish I could've shown you the hills the right way Discndave. If you're ever down again, PM me..

Just out of curiosity who does own the land now? Jerry's wife, Cptn. Jack, Aaron? After Jerry passed I heard rumors they may have to close it due to financial reasons so I always wondered if somebody might step in with the financial backing to keep the course & the family going.
Of all the courses I've played I've never met more kind hearted & genuine people than the folks at Harmon Hills

I've had a few days to think about and played each course only once recently..."Coyote Trace is as good as Harmon".