• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Aviar3

Got my hands on a Star Aviar3 over the weekend and was able to get my first throws in with it. So far I am enjoying it, VERY comfortable in the hand. Nice and stable as expected, but not Zone overstable, more like PD stable.

I am attempting to replace my Envy with the Aviar3, which is one of my primary driving/approach putters. one thing I am struggling with is distance control with the Aviar3, it seems to glide more than the Envy. I find myself over shooting approaches with it, but I am confident I will get dialed in with it very soon.

Initial impressions are very good.

Got my hands on a Star Aviar3 over the weekend and was able to get my first throws in with it. So far I am enjoying it, VERY comfortable in the hand. Nice and stable as expected, but not Zone overstable, more like PD stable.

I am attempting to replace my Envy with the Aviar3, which is one of my primary driving/approach putters. one thing I am struggling with is distance control with the Aviar3, it seems to glide more than the Envy. I find myself over shooting approaches with it, but I am confident I will get dialed in with it very soon.

I've been very happy with the Star Aviar3 and this has been my experience as well. At first I was also overshooting with it but now I can usually count on it getting right up next to the pin. Had a lot of drop in putts this morning after Aviar3 approaches.

The good news is that the practice you need to dial it in will be a lot of fun. :)

Absolutely, I have no doubt that I will get the distance dialed in. Once I do, it will probably stay in the bag for good. I still need to get some more throws in, and I especially want to see how it holds up into the wind. My Envy always surprised me into the wind, needing serious headwind to turn it over. If the Aviar3 holds up as good as the Envy into the wind, then it will be a keeper. At that point I'll probably grab a couple DX to try out, and will be keeping fingers crossed for Champ and or Luster.

Another event ran the luster Aviar3, the Pittsburgh Flying Disc Open Amateur event. 160 made. Super cool looking discs. Feel great in the hand. I played, got one in the player's pack. Would throw it, but I know it's probably worth more now than it ever will be, so it's in a facebook auction. There are a few leftover, but they will carry a large price tag. Super cool discs.

I heard that while watching the video, but I wasn't sure about all of it. I guess we'll see in the (near) future if Paul is still throwing the Av3 or not...

If I had to guess, it would be that Ian just said p2 because he forgot that Paul switched to the aviar3. Just a guess tho

I think Ian from CCDG goes through the players' bags beforehand so he can say what they are throwing during the video commentary. He said that Paul replaced the Aviar3 with a regular Star Aviar, but didn't say why. I thought that would be less stable but I've never thrown a Star Aviar.

I think Ian from CCDG goes through the players' bags beforehand so he can say what they are throwing during the video commentary. He said that Paul replaced the Aviar3 with a regular Star Aviar, but didn't say why. I thought that would be less stable but I've never thrown a Star Aviar.

It was Cory that actually first said Paul had taken the Av3 out of his bag (if I heard that correctly), and Ian agreed and corrected his earlier comment (that the disc thrown there was a Roc3). Then Ian said something about a "Star Aviar"... I was wondering if he literally meant Star Aviar, as in P&A, or if he meant Star Aviar3 and just didn't mention the "3".

You're right that the Star Aviar is less stable than the Av3 (and less stable than the P2 also, FWIW). But Ricky has been essaying the very straight Pure to great effect on upshots, so maybe Paul saw that and is trying the Star Aviar (P&A). That's a pure (pun not intended) guess, there, and it also leads us to ask what Paul's overstable putt/approach disc is (in the vein of the Harp being Ricky's OS approach disc).

But Ricky has been essaying the very straight Pure to great effect on upshots, so maybe Paul saw that and is trying the Star Aviar (P&A).

Paul uses the Nova for straight approaches and he's great with it. I saw him use it several times at the BSF so I don't think he's replacing it with a Star Aviar. Sounds like he is still playing around with the overstable putter slot though. I haven't watched the videos yet since I was there in person, so I don't know what Corry/Ian said about the Aviar3.

Paul uses the Nova for straight approaches and he's great with it. I saw him use it several times at the BSF so I don't think he's replacing it with a Star Aviar. Sounds like he is still playing around with the overstable putter slot though. I haven't watched the videos yet since I was there in person, so I don't know what Corry/Ian said about the Aviar3.

True, I'd forgotten about the Nova; and no, McBeast won't be replacing the Nova with anything else any time soon, I suspect.

Sounds like you had more fun than a disc golfer should be allowed to have at BSF. I'm officially envious. Tis on my bucket list to get out there one day soon.

One other point: When McBeth first started using the Av3 (like at the McMorial), he had a bit of a struggle with it in the wind. It looked like he was doing better with it, but maybe it was like the Firebird and Monster, and it just wasn't ideal for him. That's okay; that just means there are more Av3s for me! :)

Sounds like you had more fun than a disc golfer should be allowed to have at BSF. I'm officially envious. Tis on my bucket list to get out there one day soon.

Yeah I live about 45 minutes away from Milo McIver State Park, so ever since I got more seriously into disc golf, I've tried to make it to the BSF every year (and Worlds in 2014). I've missed a few, but I usually go to at least some of it. This year I went Friday for the first round (partly Ricky/Eagle's card, partly McBeth's card) and Sunday for the final round. It's fun to take Friday off and watch an early round because there are so many less spectators to contend with. You can actually follow the cards on the wooded holes which they don't let you follow on Sunday (or probably Saturday for that matter) because there's not enough space with all the spectators.

I'd imagine it is not a star aviar p&a, not sure if I've ever seen one of those, I'd imagine it would be a big bead for the OS slot since he swapped the P2 for the aviar 3, then went for the star aviar likely also looking to replace the P2. All conjecture, though.

I'd imagine it is not a star aviar p&a, not sure if I've ever seen one of those, I'd imagine it would be a big bead for the OS slot since he swapped the P2 for the aviar 3, then went for the star aviar likely also looking to replace the P2. All conjecture, though.

Star Aviar P&A's certainly exist (check Disc Golf Center, there are lots of them). The Aviar Driver (which is the Star Big Bead Aviar) is OOP except in GStar so I kind of doubt that was it.