• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Axiom / mvp Putters - one putter to do it all

mentos

Birdie Member
only company i have not tried putter wise.

looking for how those putters stack up to:

zones, swans, ridges, soles, challengers, omega ss, chief's and mercy's.

thanks.

my experiences:

when its cold i sometimes use an omega ss but warm wx had given me issues with grip (too much of it). so switched to whatever else i had lying around. nice but too floppy.

aviars.... nope just couldnt click with them.

tried a chief, chief os. liked the putter but not the feel. when i was using them as a driver they would get caught on my finger sometimes in a power grip.

next up are swans (Both 2 and swan 1 reborn), both in hard plastc. while i like the feel and i get a good release, i cant rely on them to drive even hyzerflipped. or the wind pushes them. so if i stick with them should i go to a med blend? these are what i use now.

i have zones, and those are my tweeners. Flick approaches, 250+ dries, but never tried to putt with them..... maybe i should? these are bagged in esp and jawbreaker plastics.

Challengers were my first putter it is beat staight and is laser off the tee for 220-250 holes, but i dislike the depth. so i went to a mercy, same issue.

didnt like judges or wardens, too much dome and too understable.

tried a v.p., Ridge, summit and sole. all had their positives but nothing made me want to stick with one. v.p. flew nice but the bead made me release it funny. the ridge is a fantastic driving putter in med, but i couldnt putt with it inside the circle, too much grip or too soft as a med putter, firms i have picked up felt the same as mediuns. a med summit, an ok driving putter, but i didnt have a while lot of confidence in it outside the circle (where i do most if my putting from. the sole was a great putter, but i couldn't drive with it nor figure out the best way to hold it.

There is no replacement for a Zone. However, the Envy is the one putter to rule them all. Thrash up a Proton and it will go straight with almost no fade. Get a soft N and it will stay stable with fade for a long time. Between those two plastics you can cover any shot, including putts.

If you want two discs to rule them all though, the Proxy/Envy combo is even better. Proxy I straight no fade with a touch more glide than the Envy.

Atom is a straight flyer and shallower mold. Nice putting putter in electron plastic, nice driver in proton. Envy is the slightly OS putter in there line. It is not even close to a zone in stability, but is a great approach disc and driver. Ion feels and flys a lot like a wizard to me. I can't wait for it in firm electron. Proxy is a beloved driver by many. The spin looks and flys like a magic.

I did not see where you (the OP) tried a Gateway Magic. Nice and shallow rim which, from what I was reading, sounds like something you'd like.

As to Axiom/MVP: I liked the Electron Atom pretty good for putting, and the Proxy and Envy for throwing/approaches. I did not like the Anode nor the Ion so much for either of those duties. I don't know if there is any "one ring to... in the darkness bind them", but probably the Envy would be the one if I had to choose only one...

MVP doesnt make a bad putter and they all are very similar feeling within the 2 speed classes/cores.

Ion(big bead)/anode/spin are deeper feeling and have more glide. OS to US.
The envy/proxy/atom are shallower and more traditional feeling cores. No real US option off the shelf and only ions/atoms are available in baseline plastic. All of the plastics fly the same just comes down to feel. Neutron/proton are pretty much a wash except clear vs solid color with plasma being a little softer but nothing like soft neutron/proton.

Not sure how you have had some many issues with good putter molds. Doubt any MVPs will work magic but good luck.

Envy or Proxy for sure.

But going thru that many putter tells me you've got something else going on... I'd really work on your stroke/form and see what's going on there.

If nothing else Proxy goes darn near straight at most any power level. Beat to heck Envy flies just like a proxy. Both of them have a bead but it's very very small, and is almost impossible to notice. If you're flipping a proxy something is wrong with your throwing motion, so it's a very good indicator of how well you're throwing as well. I'd say if you want one go envy, one beat one fresh, but if not go proxy/envy. One of, if not the, best 1-2 punch in disc golf putters.

Lots of good advice here. If I had to give you my choice, it would also be Envy.

In has a similar problem finding a putter, and when I got an Atom the Search ended. It's a great fleeling, shallow, stable putter. I use a Harp or Envy to drive, but the Atom is money in the circle.
It's good to drive with too, but I don't throw my driving Plutting putter.

The Envy is amazing IMO, especially the flat top ones. I got a slightly domey one that has a tiny amount of turn right out of the box, but my flat one had great HSS when it was new.

The Envy is amazing IMO, especially the flat top ones. I got a slightly domey one that has a tiny amount of turn right out of the box, but my flat one had great HSS when it was new.

I do agree the ones with a slight raise are less OS. One flat almost puddle top Soft Envy I threw had a massive fade at the end.

There is no replacement for a Zone. However, the Envy is the one putter to rule them all. Thrash up a Proton and it will go straight with almost no fade. Get a soft N and it will stay stable with fade for a long time. Between those two plastics you can cover any shot, including putts.

If you want two discs to rule them all though, the Proxy/Envy combo is even better. Proxy I straight no fade with a touch more glide than the Envy.

Nailed it!

I carry 2 Envys (one beat in, one fresh), one Proxy, and an Atom for in the circle. However, if you made me pare them down to just one, I'd take my beat in N Envy all darn day. I only carry the others because they all feel very similar and make it easier to cover a variety of shots.

^ I will do one disc rounds with my beat Envy, but when I carry a full bag use a Soft N Envy along with Plasma and P Proxy for drives and putting.

I've tried single disc rounds with every MVP & Axiom putter.

I'd choose the Proxy for a one disc round over any other disc from any company.

Regardless of the mold I prefer putting with Soft Electron plastic and approaching / driving with Soft Neutron.

Below is a summary of my experiences with each of their putter molds for single disc rounds:

MVP Putters

Ion - The Ion is one of the best choices for a one disc round. It is stable, resisting turnover off the tee and finishing with a decent fade. Putting it will have a moderate hyzer finish. It shows nice glide whether being tossed 40' into the chains or launched 400' off the tee. However the curved inner rim and fairly deep core make the Ion tougher for me to flick than the Atom or the Axiom putters, which is the Ions biggest drawback for me. Also once the wind really starts blowing, the Ion lacks the wind fighting ability of the Envy. The flight is very nice either way, and its available in the widest variety of plastic options. 18 holes with Plasma Ions - 24 holes with Soft Neutron & Soft Proton Ions

Anode - The Anode is a straighter version of the Ion. While the Ion compares to Wizards, Big Bead Aviars, Challengers etc., the Aviar is closer to classic Aviars, Magnets and Voodoos in flight. Like the Ion is has a curved inner rim and is fairly deep. The flight is very straight and stable at any distance in mild weather. In stronger winds the Anode will turn. Very good disc for shaping a variety of lines as it holds the angle you give it without fighting to turn or fade any more than you tell it to. 24 holes with Proton Anodes - 9 holes with a 155g Proton Anode

Spin - The Spin shares the Ion core as well. Like the Ion and Anode is pretty deep with a curved inner rim, featuring a blunter wing design than either of those two molds. Its an understable flight off the tee and straight with no fade on putts. It has a ton of glide, especially in a tail wind. It's controllable understable, and throwing it with a variety of release angles you can exploit the high speed turn for all sorts of hyzer flip lines. While the Spin fills a role the other discs can't cover when new, an understable disc would not be my choice for a one disc round.

Atom - The Atom has a unique feel compared to the other 3 MVP putters because it has a squared off inner rim as opposed to the curved inner rim the Ion, Anode and Spin share. The flight is not terribly different compared to the Anode. I feel like it shows a fraction more high speed turn, but the difference is very small, and both have a tiny, late fade. The Atom feels a bit faster out of the hand than the Anode. I prefer the flatter, squared off feel of the Atom for driving either backhand or forehand. I think a beat up Atom that is high speed understable makes a great pairing to the Proxy and Envy as it feels very similar to those molds. This mold doesn't have the wind resistance of the Ion, and definitely not the Envy, but given some hyzer it'll stand up with a little headwind. Putting and Driving Atoms - Atoms & Fireballs field test + 18 holes

Axiom Putters

Proxy - The Proxy is my favorite disc. It has a profile similar to the Atom, with a squared off inner rim and pretty flat feel, but the wing shape and shoulder profile are a little different. The flight feels a little more high speed stable with no additional fade, so the result is an incredibly straight yet reliable disc. I can rip the Proxy with confidence off the tee, regularly using it in the 200-300' range both forehand and backhand. Its an incredible mix of glide and reliability. Despite not being overstable, the flatter profile helps it fight wind compared to the taller Ion class, so even in a stiff headwind I can give it some hyzer and know it'll hold a straight 150' flick approach. I think the Proxy takes the best attributes of the Envy and Atom and combines them into one amazing package. 9 holes with the Proxy forehand tee shots only - 20 Proxy drives

Envy - The Envy is a great choice for a one disc round. It's the most overstable of all the putter molds, which works great if you utiize both FH and BH off the tee like I do. Its pretty flat feeling, a touch taller than the Proxy but not as deep as the Ion, and it has a squared off inner rim like the Proxy and Atom. The wing has a more pronounced curve on the bottom, compared to the nearly flat Proxy wing and the flat Atom wing. The Envy remains high speed stable no matter how hard you throw it if your form is clean. I've managed to throw them as far as 450' during field work and they still showed no high speed turn. Just like the Proxy, the Envy is a very unique combination of glide and reliability, though this mold trades a bit of glide for a harder fade at the finish. The Envy is also my #1 choice for putter rollers, its a great mold for OH/flick rollers and I often carry a stiff Envy in addition to my Soft just for rollers. Many drives & putts with the Envy

Based on your comments about the Challenger feeling deep, I'd suggest trying either a Proxy, Atom or Envy. The Envy is a little overstable for putting, but it would drive a lot like that Ridge you enjoyed throwing. The Proxy or Atom would putt better, but making them hold a hyzer off the tee takes cleaner form. None of these will be as overstable as the Zone.

FWIW my MVP/Axiom putter line up is:

172g Soft Electron Ion for putting
175g Soft Proxy for drives and approaches
175g Soft Envy for more OS drives and approaches
175g Regular Envy for rollers and skip shots
170g beat up Soft Atom for turnovers & standstill approaches.

Last edited:
MVP doesnt make a bad putter and they all are very similar feeling within the 2 speed classes/cores.

Ion(big bead)/anode/spin are deeper feeling and have more glide. OS to US.
The envy/proxy/atom are shallower and more traditional feeling cores. No real US option off the shelf and only ions/atoms are available in baseline plastic. All of the plastics fly the same just comes down to feel. Neutron/proton are pretty much a wash except clear vs solid color with plasma being a little softer but nothing like soft neutron/proton.

Not sure how you have had some many issues with good putter molds. Doubt any MVPs will work magic but good luck.

most of it came from fixing my putting style. i was spending this time working on putting, and just nothing seemed to want to do what i wanted consistently. i watched all videos and put time in....and one day i will be sinking putts consistently with one mold and then i start having issues switch a putter and it goes away. after having said this aloud....i am pretty sure this is now a mental thing, rather than a magic cure all from a companies putter.

You Folks Are Killing My Disposable Funds

I was quite content with my Innova starter bag until AIM sent me a complimentary Tangent. Now I have an overflowing Beaker with plenty of Ions and Anodes (with which I am thoroughly happy) and this thread is enticing me to buy more Axiom putters. :eek:

i appreciate all the input. i have been sucked into trilogy hype for too long and most of what i was referring to earlier was when i first started playing along with some birdie bashes here and there.

i realize there is no magic cure, and i will need to work on patience and practice.

went to a beginners course today to work out some of why i started this post to begin with. zone is still going to be a part of my arsenal, regardless of what i use to close a hole. so if the envy is a weeee bit shallower than the mercy i think i will need lots of practice and hopefully i can find a 1 disc round type of disc.

only reason i have not tried a magic is the shops near me only carry wizards, aviars, judges and wardens. with a few other ones spread around.

Latest posts