• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Putters Just for Putting

Ran into a dude on the course today who only putts with Banger GT Jawbreaker. That was my jam, in a real hardcore sense, until about 2 weeks ago.

But I'm putting pretty well with Envys tbh. If I had data, I actually think I'm doing what's right. Been making more C2 putts than usual and I didn't love Banger from C2. Throwing and putting are radically different, but for now I'm going to use this one mold for both. As Ezra Aderhold says, comfort is key. This disc feels good in my hand.

But I could switch it in a heartbeat and feel that was also correct, or at least equivalent.

Clutch (formerly Magnet) have been my weapon of choice for many years. I dabbled in everything from Wizards to Pures, but I'm set on the Clutch. I carry 3 typically, 4 (163g) if I've been mad at my Rattler - Protege for putting, beattt Gravity for understable drives/approaches, and a Pinnacle for more stable/overstable throws.

Two Bergs mostly for throwing or running the basket from outside putting range, though I'll occasionally putt with one depending upon the terrain around the green and/or the wind. Worn K3 which is super neutral and that gorgeous dyed K1 Glow I've posted around DGCR a few times for more overstable duties.

Rattler is in and out of the bag, I do love throwing them but I get mixed emotions frequently due to overlap with worn K3 and beat Gravity. Great for nose up straight approaches and running the basket or very sweeping turns be it a hyzer or anhyzer...very lid like as you all know (ultimate background here).

Honorable mention to the Drone, I know it's a midrange but if for whatever reason I cannot cover my overstable putter shot between the Pinnacle and the K1 Glow then I power down my old friend. No need for a Zone even if they are an incredible mold!

There's been times I insisted on only having one putter mold. That didn't work for me, though it does work for others, so yeah like everyone else has said I'll echo the "do what works for you" comments.

Been putting with the judge for a handful of years now. That hasn't changed. Like the beaded, glidey, moderate depth for putter grip.

Throwing putters is a revolving door, though the zone has been a staple.

Tried Lucid judges, but they're a bit deep to be comfortable. Tried Tombs, which worked, but I found them maybe a tad too shallow. Maidens were too flippy to be a workhorse.

Lately it's been the Reko or Proxy/Envy. The Reko is almost perfect (for me). It's listed as a speed 3, but it has an actual putter flight to it. The feel is just so slightly off, though it's usually negligible. Maybe it could be a hair less deep or bulky.

For the most part it's been the Envy/Proxy combo though. They are awesome. Only quarrel is how darn fast/far they are/go. Really gotta tone back.

TLDR; I putt with judges, and that's their only purpose. Throwing putters is a revolving door that will likely not stop spinning any time soon.

I guess I'm wondering if anyone out there has a putter they use ONLY for putting. Is that common? It seems so counterintuitive to have three molds when a year ago I was perfectly fine with one. Am I overthinking this?

So I currently carry 3 KC Aviars and 1 Zone. One of the 3 aviars is strictly used for putting and that is it. When I started playing, I would throw my putting putter off the tee. That all changed the second I taco'd my putting putter by hitting a tree at full force. I have since, never thrown my putting putter, I have only putted with it. The two other KC aviars are for throwing (one is super beat up for straight to understable shots, and one is newish for straight to OS shots). I tried for years to find a BB aviar that was super OS but never found one. I tossed the zone in last year just for fun and it has been the OS putter/mid that I have been missing.

I subscribe to the mold minimalist train of thought and the zone is the one oddball in my bag that I dont have multiples of.

I have always carried two putting putters that are strictly for putting, never thrown.

I'll typically have 2 or 3 different molds for throwing, and it's never the same mold as my putting putters.

Shrug.

Yesterday 04:42 PM
Broken Shoulder I have always carried two putting putters that are strictly for putting, never thrown.

I'll typically have 2 or 3 different molds for throwing, and it's never the same mold as my putting putters.

Shrug.

This is where I am now, and getting more comfortable with it. Two Judges for putting, then an Envy and a Pure for driving and approaching. Although I'm also experimenting with the Proxy. Since it feels pretty much just like the Envy, it makes more sense than the Pure in that slot.

It could be a moot point, however. I just got my first Zone and fell completely in love. Can't believe I've never tried one before. I immediately got more so now I have one in Z, Jawbreaker, and Ti Flex. They all fly so amazingly, I'm not totally sure I even need the Envy and Pure/Proxy.

Aviar P&A's, max weight dx.

I've been cycling a stack of about 20 since about 2010. I beat 'em into sweetness on the practice basket, then carry two (one super beat, one mostly fresh) in the bag.

Instareplacements when, god forbid, I lose one.

That covers a few tee shots, most approaches, and all putting.

No other putters, ever; also, highly suspicious of most mids (except rocs, buzzes, and comets)...:| :|

Yesterday 04:42 PM
Broken Shoulder I have always carried two putting putters that are strictly for putting, never thrown.

Shrug.

This is where I am now, and getting more comfortable with it. Two Judges for putting, then an Envy and a Pure for driving and approaching. Although I'm also experimenting with the Proxy. Since it feels pretty much just like the Envy, it makes more sense than the Pure in that slot.

It could be a moot point, however. I just got my first Zone and fell completely in love. Can't believe I've never tried one before. I immediately got more so now I have one in Z, Jawbreaker, and Ti Flex. They all fly so amazingly, I'm not totally sure I even need the Envy and Pure/Proxy.

I typically carry Polecat, Proxy, Zone for throwing/approaching and then putt with either Aviars or Pilots.
Covers everything.

I can relate to what you're saying. I would prefer to keep things simple and use a putter that I both putt AND throw with. I've liked the Wizard for a long time for putting -- nothing really comes close. So it made sense that I should use it for upshots as well. It seems a lot of people use it that way. But I just couldn't get comfortable throwing a deep-rimmed putter. I tried pinch gripping some shallow discs for my approaches (Ringer GT), and it felt way more comfortable. I would much rather carry a few extra discs and feel comfortable while throwing than try to force the issue just so I could have less molds.

At the end of the day, I think it's about what you feel comfortable and confident with.

I've always had more than one putter mold in my bag. I use to throw and drive with my putting putters, but have gotten away from that in more recent years. That full power first available tree taco stopped me from driving with my main putters. My two putting putters are for putting and an occasional open up shots.

I've thrown a lot of different putter molds over the years, and have settled on two molds now: Luna and Challenger. I carry two identical Lunas for putting. I also have two more identical Lunas that are practice putters. So I could loose a putter in a tournament round, and still have an exact spare in the bag plus two more back ups in the trunk of the car for the next round(s). The other putters I carry are a 2020 TS Luna, and two Challengers for drives and most upshots. I carry a Zone as well, but don't consider it a "putter".

I only putt with my Streamline Pilot and throw Envys and Proxys... but they all have a somewhat similar feel. Microbeads and fairly shallow.

The only real difference in them is the nose.

Envy has a high PLH with a blunt nose...
Envy-Model-Diagram-435x45.png

Proxy has bluntish nose and a shallower bevel angle...
Proxy-Model-Diagram-435x45.png

Pilot is more rounded
Pilot-Model-Diagram-500x45.png

I use a Shield for both putting and throwing, it feels ok in my hands and flies reliable. I do not use the same disc though, mediums for putting, mostly soft ones for throwing. I do have a Harp in the bag as well, but it feels more like an utility disc to me.

Missing puts is most likely not the discs fault in my case...

brutalbrutus

I only putt with my Streamline Pilot and throw Envys and Proxys... but they all have a somewhat similar feel. Microbeads and fairly shallow.

The only real difference in them is the nose.

I like the idea of this. Similar feel for all three. Next best thing to using just one mold. I have a Pilot in what my wife derisively refers to as "the disc room." I'll have to dig it out and see how it does for me.

If I remember correctly, it felt different from the Judge but not totally dissimilar. And I think a more neutral flight. I'll give it a try since I'm throwing the Envy and the Proxy has pretty much knocked the Pure out of my bag.

The Zone does a lot of things well but going dead straight and hitting a small gap near the end of the flight and finishing straight isn't one of those things.

While a dead straight approach isn't something you may need on a regular basis, I think when you find yourself in that situation you'll be glad to have an Envy/Proxy/Pure in your bag.

The Zone does a lot of things well but going dead straight and hitting a small gap near the end of the flight and finishing straight isn't one of those things.

While a dead straight approach isn't something you may need on a regular basis, I think when you find yourself in that situation you'll be glad to have an Envy/Proxy/Pure in your bag.

Yeah, that's a good call. Something dead nuts straight is pretty much indispensable. I love throwing mids and putters, so I'm perfectly fine keeping an Envy and a couple Proxies in the bag.

Having the exact same crisis with the Judge haha... Not cutting it as a thrower lately, but also haven't found a replacement inside the circle. The Pilot as a thrower though! its like a less touchy, slightly more stable Judge. Not too far from the Judge in the circle. likes a little straighter pop on the putts

damn mold OCD... always putting me in a putter predicament

Most people keep their "putting putters" separate from their "throwing putters" anyways, so using the same mold for both doesn't really achieve anything besides making you feel good about minimization.

I happen to use Wizards for both, but it just sort of worked out that way. I prefer different plastics for both categories. The only time it's a benefit is when I want to carry a pared-down travel bag with like 5-8 discs, then I can use one Wizard for both putting and throwing.

In a week or two, I'm going to bust out Heidi, Heather, and Amy and see if the magic is still there (they are my three jawbreaker Banger GTs in different colors: Heidi is gray, she was stoic like me but as pretty as Julia Roberts, we made so many putts together, Heather her twin sister is purple and Amy--no relation--is a redhead, they were backups that I never needed.)

Whoa, maybe tmi.

Anyways, I have been very happy with the Envy as a putting disc. But before I get married, I'm going to have one last fling.

<3 :D ;)

In a week or two, I'm going to bust out Heidi, Heather, and Amy and see if the magic is still there (they are my three jawbreaker Banger GTs in different colors: Heidi is gray, she was stoic like me but as pretty as Julia Roberts, we made so many putts together, Heather her twin sister is purple and Amy--no relation--is a redhead, they were backups that I never needed.)

Whoa, maybe tmi.

Anyways, I have been very happy with the Envy as a putting disc. But before I get married, I'm going to have one last fling.

<3 :D ;)

Well, that brings a whole new meaning to sticky putters.

I got 2 dx bb aviars and I can't tell them apart. I putt with them and that's it. I have a few wizards I throw but my aviars only get putted and jump putted. P.S. I suck so use this at your own risk.

Latest posts