• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Axiom Time-Lapse Distance Driver

Iceroid

Could it be? Simon's new domey distance driver? Looking at the profile picture it looks pretty similar in shape to a domey but not pop-top DD3/Destroyer/whatever.

Great, another disc to come out in short supply and then never be seen again. When is the Beam going to be available? How about the Tempo? How about the Watt?

Rather than new discs, I'd really like to see MVP/Axiom produce discs they already have. It's frustrating to want a disc that is already produced, but was in short supply and no one knows when it will next be available.

Interested what the numbers will be for this one.

I haven't been able to find a watt or tempo anywhere and hadn't even heard of the beam.

Ok the Beam looks interesting to me. Speed 12 distance driver, which is more comfortable to grip than 13/14.

Cypher looks like it'll be an understable fairway. I've been thinking about adding another faireay to my bag, something between Craves and Resistors. Speed 7 Reactor is what I want. Doesn't look like the Cypher will be that, but maybe I'll be wrong.

Great, another disc to come out in short supply and then never be seen again. When is the Beam going to be available? How about the Tempo? How about the Watt?

Rather than new discs, I'd really like to see MVP/Axiom produce discs they already have. It's frustrating to want a disc that is already produced, but was in short supply and no one knows when it will next be available.
Are Tantrums in stock anywhere? If so, I suggest you grab one, drive up to MVP's production facility, and throw it at them.

Didn't MVP basically say they got some discs approved just to claim the name on the PDGA approval list?

They also present the MVP Circuit challenge events as having exclusive distribution of the new mold (Tempo this year) for a certain period - till the end of the year?

I could see this being a new Time Lapse mold built for Simon but it might just be the Axiom version of the Beam. Looks like similar PDGA specs but the manufacturer provided picture doesn't call out the Gyro-X technology like the Beam did. Maybe a special release incoming for MVP Open?

Ok the Beam looks interesting to me. Speed 12 distance driver, which is more comfortable to grip than 13/14.

Cypher looks like it'll be an understable fairway. I've been thinking about adding another faireay to my bag, something between Craves and Resistors. Speed 7 Reactor is what I want. Doesn't look like the Cypher will be that, but maybe I'll be wrong.

What don't you like about the Servo? That seems like the obvious answer in terms of the Reactor stability profile and sitting between the Crave and Resistor. But there might well be something there that doesn't resonate. Curious.

What don't you like about the Servo? That seems like the obvious answer in terms of the Reactor stability profile and sitting between the Crave and Resistor. But there might well be something there that doesn't resonate. Curious.
Nothing wrong with them, I just gave all mine to buddies over the years because I wasn't bagging them. I'm stopping by a PIAS today and may grab one.

Does anyone know what Gyro-X is? I read about it when I read about the beam but I can't find what it actually is.

Nevermind, did a little more digging and found out it's making the overmolds bigger to enhance the gyro effect.

mvp_beam_0.jpg

Sort of reminds me of what I didn't like about Innova and Discraft:

• Innova has WAY too many molds to understand and keep reliably in stock
  • DC has WAY too many plastics to understand and keep reliably in stock

When first returning to the game six years ago, I gravitated toward Prodigy and Discmania, because their lineups were relatively simple (and as a logic nerd, I really liked their naming conventions like F5 and MD3). But the marketing urge to "line extend" existing products has really swept up disc golf. I guess MVP/Axiom/Streamline is no better or worse than the rest, but if new discs regularly become hard to find, it sort of defeats the whole purpose or cranking them out in the first place.

It's a business built on the assumption that buyers will buy more products than they need or use.

.....until they don't.

Sort of reminds me of what I didn't like about Innova and Discraft:

• Innova has WAY too many molds to understand and keep reliably in stock
  • DC has WAY too many plastics to understand and keep reliably in stock

When first returning to the game six years ago, I gravitated toward Prodigy and Discmania, because their lineups were relatively simple (and as a logic nerd, I really liked their naming conventions like F5 and MD3). But the marketing urge to "line extend" existing products has really swept up disc golf. I guess MVP/Axiom/Streamline is no better or worse than the rest, but if new discs regularly become hard to find, it sort of defeats the whole purpose or cranking them out in the first place.

Since I have this data handy from Frolfle (includes out of production discs):

Axiom26
Clash16
DGA25
Discmania57
Discraft46
Dynamic Discs30
Innova116
Kastaplast17
Latitude 6454
MVP45
Streamline10
Westside35

All the disc golf stores where I live always seem to have MVP, Axiom, and Streamline in stock. Even a lot in the used section.

All the disc golf shops around me have 80 Nomads and maybe one or two soft electron Ions.....that feel like regulars.....

If it weren't their first mold I'd be afraid of it getting the axe.

I just want a destroyer clone in eclipse plastic. Hope they run this in glow.

Given that we've learned this will be the initial disc in the Simon Line I'm going to guess that they'll NEVER run out of them.

I'm very happy that he loves the new disc so much and that they turned out so well (see his vlog).

But in his excitement, the marketing hype takes over:

"MVP's first 12 speed...workable for basically any player"

(BUZZER SOUND)

All the disc golf stores where I live always seem to have MVP, Axiom, and Streamline in stock. Even a lot in the used section.
That's because while some companirs were fine with the status quo, MVP was investing in more molding machines at an earlier date than all the other guys.

If there's one company I don't see stock issues with (or hear about at my local store) it's MVP. Even as popular as their stuff is, it's always being resupplied.

That's because while some companirs were fine with the status quo, MVP was investing in more molding machines at an earlier date than all the other guys.

If there's one company I don't see stock issues with (or hear about at my local store) it's MVP. Even as popular as their stuff is, it's always being resupplied.
They definitely have some stock issues. Right now their biggest issue is custom stamps. They have 5 molds available of their entire lineup for custom stamps and it's been that way for months. They're too busy keeping up with all the demand Simon has brought that they don't have time for custom stuff.

Either it's not a true destroyer clone, and you won't see it as Simon's workhorse, or it is and it's not workable for every player. Can't have both.
MVP runs a lot of lightweight stuff and does a good job of it instead of being flippy unpredictable junk….maybe a sub 160 version will be available and usable for a normie?

…or maybe it's just the usual marketing hype

MVP runs a lot of lightweight stuff and does a good job of it instead of being flippy unpredictable junk….maybe a sub 160 version will be available and usable for a normie?

…or maybe it's just the usual marketing hype
I'm certainly interested in a 165-169g weight Time Lapse. I guess thats not really lightweight but Innova hasn't been able to make 11+ speeds in that weight range without plastic splay for a few years so I've resorted to 170s Destroyers/Scorpiuses and Shrykes/Falcons. This isn't just an Innova problem - most manufacturers have to make compromises to get the distance driver weight down. Those compromises make it hard to maintain any consistent disc characteristics (dome, PLH, grip, 'finish' - no blizzarding/splay) so each disc a snowflake in terms of flight. MVP seems to get their Fission distance drivers down to the upper 140s to 150s with pretty consistent profiles and some Neutron/Cosmic Neutron get down into the low 160s for stock discs.