• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Axiom] Axioms Color Theory.

Axiom should just keep doing what they're doing with colors. Everyone wanted colorful Mvp's. Enter Axiom. Equal demand requested. Now we are complaining they are too colorful. You will NEVER satisfy everyone, it is at current population impossible.

I myself am a color junkie. If the color doesn't suit my eye or taste I won't buy it. I will carry a color I don't like on courses that have a high potential of disc loss so I won't be heartbroken if I lose it.

I deal small amounts to sell and I am continually surprised at what some people buy. Colors I would never want go quick and ones I think are awesome hang around forever. I will agree there are some that a majority like across varying tastes, but who wants to have 15 Envies flying around in your group that are all the same color.

Pink white and orange(and maybe blue) are the most common colors I see out on the course. Several guys around here throw only orange or pink discs depending on who it is. I think they should make more single color discs, I don't see a lot of them. I have a pink/pink N proxy and its the only one of that color I have seen( I typically don't buy online so I am sure there are more out there). The TK video kid has a few orange/orange, including a nice looking fireball.

Pink white and orange(and maybe blue) are the most common colors I see out on the course. Several guys around here throw only orange or pink discs depending on who it is. I think they should make more single color discs, I don't see a lot of them. I have a pink/pink N proxy and its the only one of that color I have seen( I typically don't buy online so I am sure there are more out there). The TK video kid has a few orange/orange, including a nice looking fireball.

My Proxy is orange/orange.

I don't mind two color discs (including the Nova), provided that the colors are bright and my eyes can find them. At the same time, garish color combos that aren't aesthetically pleasing won't appeal to many.

Again its pretty clear some of you dont get it. Do thr math on the number of possible axiom colors for a single mold combos given the listed colors on their site for a model (the website shows all colors currently in production) and get back to me.

And how many of those combos are good?:) I get there are a lot of options*. I am curious on the amount of each that they make.

--I'm not asking for more options, I just want more of one option.

My Proxy is orange/orange.

I don't mind two color discs (including the Nova), provided that the colors are bright and my eyes can find them. At the same time, garish color combos that aren't aesthetically pleasing won't appeal to many.

I am all about easy to find discs. If I trade or buy used I take what I can get, but if I buy new I'm picky. Knowing what color your eyes like to find helps you lose less discs and play faster.

- - - - - - - - - - -

*Some quick math- there are ~265** different ways you can get an Envy, not including the Plasma color combos(minimum 25) and the Watermelon, also not including different weights.

** Probably a bit higher.

And how many of those combos are good?:) I get there are a lot of options*. I am curious on the amount of each that they make.
--I'm not asking for more options, I just want more of one option.
I am all about easy to find discs. If I trade or buy used I take what I can get, but if I buy new I'm picky. Knowing what color your eyes like to find helps you lose less discs and play faster.
- - - - - - - - - - -
*Some quick math- there are ~265** different ways you can get an Envy, not including the Plasma color combos(minimum 25) and the Watermelon, also not including different weights.
** Probably a bit higher.

I agree with you. One thing that might 'behoove' Axiom to do is to go to tournaments and ask players which color combos they like, showing pictures of discs (not just the color combinations, but discs in those colors), and get an idea of what people like.

They might also study up on the science of colors, which is taught in most high schools. Primary colors, complimentary colors, etc. Generally, the eye prefers certain color combinations, and I'd be willing to bet that such combinations are the most popular.

Every person is different, of course, so some are going to like lavender and orange as a combo, while others will prefer basic red and blue... but is that a combination that will move discs off the shelves? If Axiom just reduces it to fewer combinations in the most popular color combos, they'll sell more. My idea is just a couple to three rim colors... white, bright orange, bright red, (all of which can match well with many colors), and then have more filght plate color options that go with one or more of those three rims.

Just my $0.02 from the business side of it....

During my color theory semester I studied this old Buddhist monk method for perfect pitch where they visualize a musical note as color in a much higher, visual spectrum, octave which predisposes their brain to divisions of that frequency. I think if you were to slow an Axiom disc's colors to audible frequencies, you'd find it's a beautiful beating chord that goes WREOAUGH.

I agree with you. One thing that might 'behoove' Axiom to do is to go to tournaments and ask players which color combos they like, showing pictures of discs (not just the color combinations, but discs in those colors), and get an idea of what people like.

They might also study up on the science of colors, which is taught in most high schools. Primary colors, complimentary colors, etc. Generally, the eye prefers certain color combinations, and I'd be willing to bet that such combinations are the most popular.

Every person is different, of course, so some are going to like lavender and orange as a combo, while others will prefer basic red and blue... but is that a combination that will move discs off the shelves? If Axiom just reduces it to fewer combinations in the most popular color combos, they'll sell more. My idea is just a couple to three rim colors... white, bright orange, bright red, (all of which can match well with many colors), and then have more filght plate color options that go with one or more of those three rims.

Just my $0.02 from the business side of it....

I agree with most of this. I would leave the white rims to Eclipse and add blue, pink and grey to rim options personally. But if I'm in the minority and there's not enough demand for my preferences, I would prefer to have Axiom discs remain in competitive business at my favorite retailers even if it means I have to sacrifice my white core pink or blue rimmed discs.

Personally, I don't think there is any "theory" to their colors...as they are mostly randomly ugly :\.

I would hate to order from Axiom as a dealer especially if the colors are randomly chosen/shipped to you. I could see where you would have color combos that would sit/stay too long on the shelf.

I am an Innova dealer and I cant choose every color of every disc, but I can say to do a bright color assortment, or say no red, no blue, etc. in the order.

I also understand color is subjective...one mans awesome :thmbup: is another mans :sick:!

Last edited:
Personally, I don't think there is any "theory" to their colors...as they are mostly randomly ugly :\.

I also understand color is subjective...one mans awesome :thmbup: is another mans :sick:!

And this is why I suggest for the sake of good business and high sales that Axiom do some research and polling on what people like. No, not going to please all of the people all the time, but if they get some popular combinations based upon basic colors (meaning shying away from lilac and mauve and just sticking with basic white, orange, bright red, light blue, light green, etc.), then IMHO they'll do much better.

They also need to really work to improve their relationships with vendors. IMHO there is a really big reason why I see *NO* MVP/Axiom discs in ANY of the PIAS stores in the metro ATL area, etc. Some here are trying to gloss over that, but if they don't get their relationships with their vendors right, they won't have a business to worry about...

I've managed to find enough lightweight Craves in matching rim configs (or close enough) to be happy, but I've played enough on Community's matrix looking at color combos to understand dealer's pains.

Crazy conspiracy theory here, but I think I can fix this without losing a retailer. If Axiom'd replace the retailers' poor sellers (12 months on shelves? 24? Maybe only two of the most popular molds?) with new, more desirable stock, they'd be able to really quickly eliminate the "bad" combos from their future production cycle and provide more desirable discs quickly. It will be a hit, but it has to be better than losing a big online retailer.

Fast forward a couple years and people (forum dorks such as myself) have inevitably started complaining about how boring their color selection has become. Axiom starts filtering the old unsold stock into orders, and they start commanding a premium on FB...Maybe they could bypass the wait and sell them direct for a couple bucks under MSRP as "Axiom Uglies"...?

In all seriousness, I hope they're refining their color combos. The Crave, Envy, and Proxy are great molds.

Last edited:
And this is why I suggest for the sake of good business and high sales that Axiom do some research and polling on what people like. No, not going to please all of the people all the time, but if they get some popular combinations based upon basic colors (meaning shying away from lilac and mauve and just sticking with basic white, orange, bright red, light blue, light green, etc.), then IMHO they'll do much better.

They also need to really work to improve their relationships with vendors. IMHO there is a really big reason why I see *NO* MVP/Axiom discs in ANY of the PIAS stores in the metro ATL area, etc. Some here are trying to gloss over that, but if they don't get their relationships with their vendors right, they won't have a business to worry about...
I'm not a fan of your color ideas. You can't assume others like the colors you think are nice

Its true. I am honestly surprised every single order of discs when it comes to what i think looks good vs others.