• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Backhand anhyzer technique

Anselm

I have a question regarding the amount of wrist curl one should have when throwing a backhand anny shot.

When throwing hyzers, straight shots, hyzer-flips, or for distance, I keep my wrist straight - not locked, but relaxed and not really doing anything as I pull the disc across my chest. My backhand is pretty reliable for all but one kind of shot:

The hard right-turning shot 150 - 250 feet long. I'm not talking about a dogleg right, but a hole that immediately turns right off the tee and keeps turning to the pin.

I usually throw a 175g beat-to-hell DX roc for this shot. I find that if I really curl my wrist so that the disc is in contact with my forearm, I can unwind it and sometimes get a lot of good right turn. Other times, I can still get the right turn while keeping my wrist straight, which I think is technically better form.

So - what is the proper anhyzer wrist action?

I try to do what Blake T has said in his sticky's about showing your angle. I don't curl my wrist at all....I try to just increase or decrease the amount of anyhyzer by how I rotate my forearm. Once I think I have the right amount of anhyzer I need for that specific throw I just throw as usual and just pull straight across my chest. Now if you're talking about a sky anhyzer that is a different story and you pull from low to high with the same technique as usual. Some people put a little back lean into their sky anhyzers which may help them get a little more height and torque into the throw. I've been trying to stay on plane and let the angle of my forearm dictate how much anyhyzer is put on the disc.

i think a better way to think of it is the angle of your shoulders as well as your arms. you still want a clean throw and follow through but controlling the angle of release and line of flight with your shoulders.
for example:
hyzer
p665651200-2.jpg

2008-10-2_nikko.jpg

flat
Nikko-Veterans-Tee-off.jpg

anhyzer
485669_369705076405299_212839622091846_1016348_1153337726_n.jpg

notice how in each pic the disc is on more or less the same plane as the shoulders
and sorry i couldn't find a better pic of an anhyzer throw

throwing a flat, hyzer, or anhyzer shot is exactly the same (mechanics wise). All you do is lean slightly back or slightly forward for hyzer and anhyzer, idk if this is how you're supposed to do it but it works great for me.

throwing a flat, hyzer, or anhyzer shot is exactly the same (mechanics wise). All you do is lean slightly back or slightly forward for hyzer and anhyzer, idk if this is how you're supposed to do it but it works great for me.

Um, probs not, but whatever works for you works, right?

On that last photo above, that is a lefty throwing a hyzer, not a righty throwing an anhyzer.

This is correct.

One tip for anny's is to try to pull your arm in a downward arch during follow through. Don't know how else to explain that.

This is correct.

One tip for anny's is to try to pull your arm in a downward arch during follow through. Don't know how else to explain that.

Yes....and you can think of hyzer as a home run swing vs anhyzer as a hitting a grounder. For the most part the swing mechanics are the same, but you change your spine angle.

This is correct.

That is what I do for my anny's (LHBH). I lean just a little backwards during my throw and start low and finish a little higher. I sometimes tend to roll my wrist but only if the shot calls for it.

Anny feels exactly the same to me after my reachback. I reach back as much higher as anny I want, then come through normally. Don't know if that's right or not, but it seems logically the way you'd want it to feel.

...or you could just learn to throw a forehand.

I have trouble throwing annys...which is why I have a bag full of understable discs. On right curving holes I just turn to my trusty forehand toss.