• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Backpack Recommendation

dwalk77

Par Member
I'm looking to buy a backpack and was going to see if anybody has recommendations.
One key thing I want that doesn't seem to be common is a strap or pouch that will hold a pole.
Not looking for anything big, but do want a drink pouch and a few pockets for cell phone, towel, etc.

$$$ but the Pound Rufus has the features you are looking for. Really happy with mine.

If you want a cheap bag, I have a Lat 64 Core pro I used for about 2 months that I'll sell for like $45...it does have straps for an umbrella or pole (assume you are talking about a disc grabber type thing) but doesn't have a drink holder, the side pockets can easily accommodate most bottles though.

Anything with an umbrella sleeve can be used for a pole style disc retriever. For that look at Prodigy bags on the cheap or Grip for the mid to upper range

$$$ but the Pound Rufus has the features you are looking for. Really happy with mine.

If you want a cheap bag, I have a Lat 64 Core pro I used for about 2 months that I'll sell for like $45...it does have straps for an umbrella or pole (assume you are talking about a disc grabber type thing) but doesn't have a drink holder, the side pockets can easily accommodate most bottles though.

One side of the Rufus includes two elastic straps inside the deep pocket to hold an umbrella or retriever stick. You zip up the zippers to close the pocket on either side of it. If the stick you use has a removeable head, then all the better. I carried mine this way last weekend and the handle end of the stick only came out of the bag by about 4 inches. Easy carry.

Way too many options depending on your budget.

I carried a pole type retriever in a budget backpack for a while. I just put the bottom in one of the drink holders and used a towel clip (looks like a cheap shower curtain ring) to secure the top of the retriever at a D-ring.

I've got some goofy cheap bag and I put a telescoping pole back behind the discs as they have a nylon box they sit inside so there's a gap behind. I don't really notice it when I'm carrying the bag around.

Write down a list of what you MUST have in a bag, then look for bags that meet those requirements.

For something to hold a retriever, look into this as an 'add-on' to a bag...I have one and it holds my retriever.

https://infinitediscs.com/Products/Retrievers/18251/Infinite-Disc-Retriever-Sheath

I use that with my Rogue Irons Sling Bag. My main bag is the Fossa Skinny 2.3 and I slide the retriever down the gap between the 'hanging' disc holders and the side of the bag. When I had a RidgeRoller bag, I just used the retriever sheath.

One main thing to consider in a bag, since you will be constantly picking it up off the ground, is weight. And not just the weight of the bag, but the weight once you've added everything to the bag (discs, water bottle, etc).

If you haven't made a decision yet, I suggest you try this method....

1. Make a list of all your 'must haves'. Be specific...don't just say a water bottle holder, what size water bottle do you want to be able to carry?
2. Circle any of those that you can compromise on if need be. For example, you want to be able to carry two 40oz water bottles, but could settle for two 20 oz at least or one 40 oz. Or you want a D ring on both sides of the bag, but could compromise to just one.
3. Figure out your max price.
4. Search online for bags that are in your price range and compare them to your list.
5. Make a list of the bags that meet your criteria (either exactly or with some compromising).
6. Lastly, post your list here and ask if anyone has those bags and can provide feedback on them.

If you haven't made a decision yet, I suggest you try this method....

1. Make a list of all your 'must haves'. Be specific...don't just say a water bottle holder, what size water bottle do you want to be able to carry?
2. Circle any of those that you can compromise on if need be. For example, you want to be able to carry two 40oz water bottles, but could settle for two 20 oz at least or one 40 oz. Or you want a D ring on both sides of the bag, but could compromise to just one.
3. Figure out your max price.
4. Search online for bags that are in your price range and compare them to your list.
5. Make a list of the bags that meet your criteria (either exactly or with some compromising).
6. Lastly, post your list here and ask if anyone has those bags and can provide feedback on them.

Thanks, Bill.

Latest posts