• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Backyards: Is there a reason to buy a real disc golf basket vs just a standing pole?

itsRudy

Par Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
I had a portable disc golf basket, dga mach lite, shortly since playing on my 4 acres five years back. It's one of those half cloth and half metal contraptions that fold up and the cloth section gave up the ghost from all around UV damage. The portable aspect never seen much use other than wandering about on the property.

Was searching around for a replacement and with all the talk of marksman baskets for more challenge, I wondered why not just go one step further and get a barebones metal pole with a suitably weighted base and attach some cheap bells, and tape the relevant heights. Hit the right area of the pole, make a sound, it's in. (Actually, I'm just salvaging my old portable and declutterfying it.)

I had my share of into the basket throws at a distance but never so many that the chains would be missed and putting it would be the ultimate in attaining accuracy, plus easier storage.

While not necessary to practice, an actual basket will give you:
1. A similar target as the ones you'll be shooting at 'when it counts'.
2. That "addicting sound" of plastic hitting chains.
3. The "typical / appropriate" sized target.
4. The experience of learning to accept cut-throughs and spit-outs...as you WILL get them while playing, so you might as well learn how to accept them while practicing.

Hitting a pole is not the same as putting on a basket. Practice putting on something that actually has to catch the disc. Pace and angle matter on baskets, but don't on a pole.

I like tone poles. I remember when we were playing Cottage Grove and Blue Mound on those. Also vaguely remember a piece of metal plate hanging in the air. At least I think I do. That was a long time ago. But it was likely fun. Picking up 20 putters around a pole doesn't sound fun though. My first practice "basket" was a t-post and a old white 5 gallon bucket on top. My Rattler was unfortunately gouged due to all my low putts. ...

Just use a tree.

No!!!!!! All opinions shall be discussed except yours! There is zero satisfaction to that... its like going out to testdrive a car at a dealership and leave riding a skateboard!

Unless you cut it down to 5' and screw a tonal to it.. Then, I agree good sir!

I used to practice hitting a pole. Scuffed up my discs more than hitting chains. Now ......putting one of those water noodles over a pole could work. Maybe I'll add a few of those around the yard to go along with my baskets. hmm....

When I first started to do actual practice I would use the handle of a shovel as a target. It was better than nothing. Honestly almost any target is better than no target, but a basket is still the best.

While not necessary to practice, an actual basket will give you:
1. A similar target as the ones you'll be shooting at 'when it counts'.
2. That "addicting sound" of plastic hitting chains.
3. The "typical / appropriate" sized target.
4. The experience of learning to accept cut-throughs and spit-outs...as you WILL get them while playing, so you might as well learn how to accept them while practicing.

All things considered, I think I might buy 1 proper basket again purely for putting practice and create several metal-tipped poles to wander around with and practice various layups.

A pole works great. Mark off an area on the pole where the basket would be.

Always try to pick the smallest target for drives, approaches, and putts. Using a pole to practice putting will help train this concept, and baskets will become an easy target compared to a pole.

I tried with the pole method, complete with tape for high/low cage dimensions. It just doesn't feel good when you hit it. The reward for a good putt is - you pick your disc up off the ground and go back for another round of unsatisfying clangs. Buying a nice basket at least quadrupled the amount of time I spent practice putting.

A course I play at has an old original tone pole by the practice basket. Two things I have found is that the tone pole is easier to score and with the basket you don't have to continuously pick your discs up off the ground.

If you are going to do a tone for practice I think skinny and short helps you on the course.. Tones are plenty satisfying for regular play on a home course but not as rewarding as a basket for putting practice.

Throwing at trees is stupid.

EOT
(End Of Thread) :D

Getting a chainstar was the best 300 bucks I ever spent and I'm getting my money out of it that's for sure. It's not just for me but for having people over it's a fun thing to do in the backyard. There's no way you're going to have as much fun with a pole or a tree. If you can float the cash and you have a backyard I highly recommend getting a high quality basket.

Ask around to your local scene/club/etc., often times you can find one from a private seller and get a better deal like I did. Also don't forget that a basket also doubles as a piece of exercise equipment and you'll end up tricking yourself into exercising 5 + days a week :hfive:

Also I wouldn't recommend getting a marksman/chainstar lite/lower quality basket because they just won't stand up to the elements and last very long. They make sense for indoor use in a garage, and are also useful if you're taking them places because they're light and easy to take apart/reassemble, so they're great for indoor putting leagues, but for everyday outside backyard putting they're going to fall apart eventually and you're going to wish you spent the extra couple hundred bucks and bought a galvanized heavy duty basket.

The lower quality baskets have basically no resell if they're used, while a high quality basket does especially if it's been single owner owned in a backyard and not from an actual course, likely it's still going to be in great shape and you can resell them for at least half often more. So a lot of reasons to spend the extra 200 bucks.

Latest posts