• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Backyards: Is there a reason to buy a real disc golf basket vs just a standing pole?

Plus, hits on poles count period, but on a basket the same throw may have gone through the chains or bounced off. Add into that losing focus and it's easy to be worse on baskets than 'objects'.

I was looking at that one. Looks like a pretty nice basket.

I think I might actually save up and get a Mach 2 once my current practice bucket dies out... its a hobby I enjoy and it would be cool to have a bit better basket to throw at.

DGA makes as high quality baskets as you can find right now - maybe even the highest quality IMO. In Michigan given the DGA/Discraft partnership and influence we have tons of their baskets all over our state and I can concur that those Mach 3's that got installed here 20+ years ago all held up extremely well.

I would actually spend the extra 130 bucks and get the Mach 5 instead, for just a little bit more you're getting a much better catching mechanism/more chains, but even still the Mach 2 being galvanized and heavy duty is a great buy.

I got a chainstar around 2014, and lemme tell you given the sheer thousands of hours and putts I've thrown in this thing in the last 7 years I am glad I got a heavy duty basket, by now whatever low quality basket I would have gotten would have either have been rusty and falling apart or already broken and I'd be a little peeved at the prospect of having to shell out another 150 or so dollars to buy another one. Since mine is garage kept when not in use (I just wheel it out) the thing looks and catches like it is still brand new.

Obviously, you don't putt with a P2.

I totally agree with you though.

I prefer my D line P2's as absolutely beat in as possible. Current putters are the original 2 I bought back in 2017, so a good solid 4 years of thousands of putts on them. Stock stamps completely worn off and they are down 3 grams from 176 to 173. IMO they get grippier, straighter, more glidey and just better with age. They've also survived 4 Michigan winters now. I don't throw with them EVER, strictly inside C2 only, so they've never hit a tree, at least not with any force on them.

Originally putted with beat up KC pro aviars. Great putters but I broke way to many once the temps drop below 45 or so. Started with using just the P2s in the colder months Oct - April to save my aviars, but enjoyed them so much I just switched permanently.

Last edited:
I prefer my D line P2's as absolutely beat in as possible. Current putters are the original 2 I bought back in 2017, so a good solid 4 years of thousands of putts on them. Stock stamps completely worn off and they are down 3 grams from 176 to 173. IMO they get grippier, straighter, more glidey and just better with age. They've also survived 4 Michigan winters now. I don't throw with them EVER, strictly inside C2 only, so they've never hit a tree, at least not with any force on them.

Originally putted with beat up KC pro aviars. Great putters but I broke way to many once the temps drop below 45 or so. Started with using just the P2s in the colder months Oct - April to save my aviars, but enjoyed them so much I just switched permanently.

Touche!

The one thing no one has mentioned (at least I haven't seen it) is damage to discs. Putters are usually the softest plastic; throwing against trees and poles would damage the disc quicker than the basket chains would do (IMO).

The easy solution to the is to just cut a pool noodle down the middle and put around the pole, I get them at the dollar store shortly before the summers for various reasons (mostly cheap insulation around hot water pipes).

All in all, I really just wanted something easier to store in the future than several expensive baskets in case I ever gotta move. I know they are ideal, just not ideal for me at the moment.

I have a wheelbarrow that I set up on the handles in the back yard. Pretty trashy. There's a folding chair at the park down the street and I shoot for that. If there were a chain basket that I could fold and carry to the park (two blocks) I'd consider that, but they all look kinda, IDK, not worth it.

I used to wonder this same thing. I used to putt into an old Webber grill lid bungeed onto a broken rake handle stuck in the ground. Looked awful, but worked pretty good. Certainly good enough.

Then I bought a practice basket (streamline Lite on amazon for $99) and it's WORLDS better.

Putting practice is so much better now than it was.

I used to wonder this same thing. I used to putt into an old Webber grill lid bungeed onto a broken rake handle stuck in the ground. Looked awful, but worked pretty good. Certainly good enough.

Then I bought a practice basket (streamline Lite on amazon for $99) and it's WORLDS better.

Putting practice is so much better now than it was.

Aesthetically yes, but it's still practice putting. [emoji16]

I hate practice putting. If you saw me putt... you'd eventually cry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Backyards: is there a reason to buy real discs or can we just use some paper plates from the last garden party?

it's funny, I was playing with my adult daughter a few years back and found a square "lock-n-lock" food storage lid with tabs. on a whim, I started throwing it on the course. It flew amazingly straight and had predictable 150ft distance. it was a tight woods course and I could bogey almost everything with it! I think I only threw it away because she thought I was showing off. damn, wish I had kept it!:\

BpuX9FT_d.jpg

Backyards: is there a reason to buy real discs or can we just use some paper plates from the last garden party?

Is there a reason to buy real paper plates, or can we just eat meals out of all that plastic we have stashed away?

I always thought it'd be great to have a disc golf themed bar & grill called Hyzer's. Serve burgers & bar fair on DX Condors (lined with food service paper). Use minis as coasters. Old bar stamp and circle stamp plastic on the walls, maybe a couple of baskets, some autographed discs.

Maybe some craft brews with catchy names like:
Black Ace Ale
Jump Putt Porter
Island Green IPA
Lay up Lager

Instead of ordering your burger/steak rare, medium or well, you order it understable, stable, overstable.

You'd really want to be located near a well known high traffic course. Donate growlers as CTP prizes.

Last edited:
Is there a reason to buy real paper plates, or can we just eat meals out of all that plastic we have stashed away?

I always thought it'd be great to have a disc golf themed bar & grill called Hyzer's. Serve burgers & bar fair on DX Condors (lined with food service paper). Use minis as coasters. Old bar stamp and circle stamp plastic on the walls, maybe a couple of baskets, some autographed discs.

Black Ace Ale
Jump Putt Porter
Island Green IPA
Lay up Lager

Instead of ordering your burger/steak rare, medium or well, you order it understable, stable, overstable.

You'd really want to be located near a well known high traffic course. Donate growlers as CTP prizes.

Bevel has used Black Ace and maybe more of those names

Black Ace Ale
Jump Putt Porter
Island Green IPA
Lay up Lager

Bevel has used Black Ace and maybe more of those names
yeah bevel is very disc themed, their taster tray is a ultrastar (i think)
155806833_4066749800010754_5787606839727851896_n.jpg

I'm chiming in way late. But isn't the point of practicing ANYTHING to simulate what you're practicing for as closely as possible?

For me, that meant buying a decent practice basket. For just over $100, I got a Discraft Chainstar Lite. If money, space, and convenience allowed, I would purchase a real basket or two to really elevate my putting game.