• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Bag suggestions for retraining

Androooo

Started about 2 years ago, and thinking I could handle them, got a bunch of champ plastic, highspeed driver ect ect... Total noob thing to do I know. Basically, being a right handed ball golfer, my backhand sucks. Played predominately FH because at least I could get most of my discs to fly.

Had some time off from throwing due to ball golf tournaments, now getting back into the disc golf, with the ambition of getting my BH at least to a respectable level.

So I'm forcing myself to throw backhand. My and champ discs backhand.... No joy. I can throw my putters the same distance as everything else. Around 200'

In the bag, I have got:

2x 171g D-Line P1X's (putting and throwing)
2x 169g DX Roc's
150g DX Cheetah
169g DX Cheetah
150g DX Banshee
169g DX Banshee
150g DX Sidewinder
169g DX Sidewinder
171g Champ Firebird (Forehands)

Thought I'd start with the 150's and work up. Making a difference. If I strongarm them (real bad habit) they just turn straight over. Really makes you hit the snap correctly, and I'm learning how to hyzer-flip them. Caught a Sidewinder good the other day, and almost reached that 300' mark... Never ever thought I'd manage that.

Is there anything I'm missing? I wish I had more time to work on it, but I'm happy with the progress after only a couple of weeks... Plus I'm enjoying it more.

Hard to say

What are the stabilities like on those DX discs?

If you're throwing all of those discs only around 200ft, something is very wrong and it's not the discs. I'd suggest making a video of your self and let those who can help you, help.

I am glad to hear you are enjoying disc golf more, which is definitely important. Using only the discs listed in your post, I suggest you simplify even further and roll with:

169g DX Roc
169g DX Cheetah
169g DX Banshee (for utility/windy days only)

Work on learning how to throw your putter and the Roc. As the Roc beats in, add in the second one as a more stable compliment. Master your putter and your Roc, and your game will improve without a doubt.

If you are looking to focus on improving form, I don't think you can go wrong adding in a Comet and learning how to throw it on a variety of lines.

Most importantly, have fun!

If you are looking to focus on improving form, I don't think you can go wrong adding in a Comet and learning how to throw it on a variety of lines.

Most importantly, have fun!

Great recommendation! Comet is amazing. I used it consistently in fieldwork and on the course for a few weeks and had to quit strong arming to get it to go anywhere other than dead right and into the ground. It is a staple in my bag now. Great learning tool and a great disc to have in your bag because of it's versatility; good for tunnel shots, gentle hyzers and annys, and for long, glidey frisbee type throws from jump putt range.

2x 169g DX Roc's
150g DX Cheetah
169g DX Cheetah
150g DX Banshee
169g DX Banshee
150g DX Sidewinder
169g DX Sidewinder
171g Champ Firebird (Forehands)

My $0.02 suggestions:
P1Xs and Rocs should be fine. Use them as often as posible to work on form, too.
I'd keep the 169g Cheetah.
I'd keep the 169g Sidewinder. I have a 167g Champion Sidewinder and I love it.
You can keep the Firebird for forehands, get-out-of-trouble, and the like.

I bag a Champion Banshee as a utility disc, get-out-of-trouble disc, wind-fighter, forehands, thumbers, etc. But for regular throwing and learning, it's probably not the disc to use. I did not add the Banshee to my bag until the last few months.

And have fun as you work on your backhand game.

Thanks guys for the suggestions. Think I will give the 150s a few more weeks just while I'm still working on technique, then hand them down to the kids. I'm happy, because it's at least heading in the right direction.

Good thing is, it summer down here, so I can accrue some brownie point with the other half, and take the kids out with me

Get a fresh Cheetah. throw it sparingly.
Stick to the Rocs and Putters.

Heck, I am playing tomorrow with only one Gazelle, and my Rocs and Wizards.

Latest posts