• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Do I need really understable discs?

I have less use for overstable molds than understable molds. Assuming there's not much of a headwind, I can hyzer, flip to straight, or turnover my drives with understable molds. They're are great for uphill drives too.

The other thing not mentioned yet is that when you're throwing at elevation everything acts more overstable. I live at 4,750 feet and often play some of the mountain courses around me that range from 6,000-9,000 feet above sea level. At such a high elevation even 150 Roadrunners are acting overstable.

Thanks for all the input. I suspect the move would be to trade locally for an Underworld and maybe a Meteor and give them a go. I'd probably go for a Z Meteor based on my Zone. IDK about the Underworld. I like the Titanium pretty well.

i like cycling X buzzzes. didn't dig the meteor as much but it's definitely more flippy out of the box

Haha.

No.

I've been on this train too long.

There's noway to get off.

My Friend, my friend....

Gyro can bring joy to your heart. ❤️ if you would only let it in.

Oh boy....here we go. You all know where this is headed....to the cult of Glitch. :wall:

HOT TAKE: The Glitch gets close, but don't go in.

The Underworld is a terrific disc. If you want a less flippy version, go to the VIP plastic.

Meh FWIW I haven't thrown a meteor in a while... I always wanted a crystal z meteor nut they only did those once for the Las Vegas challenge I think. Esp meteor was nice but it needed a bigger gap between real straight and seeyabye! It was hyzer flip or turned over there was a goofy line at somewhere near flat. I went comet once I got over the rim.

The uplink can fly like a meteor but with better or at least more linear angle control. If you have touch, a neutron uplink carves with the weirdest late turn you ever saw. Dead straight til 75% and then an anhyzer, the softs go straight longer or big hyzer flip to flat distance. It's almost like a beat x comet out of the box. It also glides better than a meteor and has a similar rounded rim, as opposed to a comet. Heck just get a comet haha, put that on the option list.

Also FWIW one of my old school buddies replaced his beat Polaris LS with an underworld and is very happy.

Yes, get a Mamba. They are fantastic. They are far more useful, and get a LOT more distance, and also accuracy for my 52 year old arm than my Wraiths.

55 myself. I like pro mambas around 170g.

Thrown flat they have great glide and give a nice turn and fade.

Meh FWIW I haven't thrown a meteor in a while... I always wanted a crystal z meteor nut they only did those once for the Las Vegas challenge I think. Esp meteor was nice but it needed a bigger gap between real straight and seeyabye! It was hyzer flip or turned over there was a goofy line at somewhere near flat. I went comet once I got over the rim.

The uplink can fly like a meteor but with better or at least more linear angle control. If you have touch, a neutron uplink carves with the weirdest late turn you ever saw. Dead straight til 75% and then an anhyzer, the softs go straight longer or big hyzer flip to flat distance. It's almost like a beat x comet out of the box. It also glides better than a meteor and has a similar rounded rim, as opposed to a comet. Heck just get a comet haha, put that on the option list.

Also FWIW one of my old school buddies replaced his beat Polaris LS with an underworld and is very happy.

The Uplink is one of the best discs ever imo. I do live in CO and maybe it would be too understable at low elevation, but man...yes.

I switched to all MVP, but I'd also give a shout out to the Sol. Very similar to the uplink in flight and feel.

Ended up with a 161 VIP Underworld and an 169 ESP Sol. These do fill a hole in the bag. Interesting to be able to play the left gap backhand on some holes. All my P&A discs were overstable, so the extra glide on the Sol works nicely for those touchy, low-ceiling up shots. I hope this ESP doesn't break down so quickly.

This makes me realize how understable my whole bag is, save for maybe three discs. I throw mostly waves or insanities off the tee. Hexes take most upshots. Even my main throwing putter is a plasma ion that's fairly worked in at this point.

I do have a resistor for some fairway beef, a runway for os mid duties and a Stego for (giggles mostly) ridiculous shots. For headwind tee shots, I disc up to a 13 speed mayhem instead of trying to moosh something more os.

Ended up with a 161 VIP Underworld and an 169 ESP Sol. These do fill a hole in the bag. Interesting to be able to play the left gap backhand on some holes. All my P&A discs were overstable, so the extra glide on the Sol works nicely for those touchy, low-ceiling up shots. I hope this ESP doesn't break down so quickly.

The Sol is a great underrated mold. It fills the slot for an US putter and mid for me and can still tolerate a little bit of power as long as you don't have too much OAT

The Sol is a great underrated mold. It fills the slot for an US putter and mid for me and can still tolerate a little bit of power as long as you don't have too much OAT

Yeah, I guess OAT just kills an understable/lighter disc. I sure don't want it to get an less stable, but after a few rounds, I feel like I'm getting a full flight from a stand-still hyzer flip. Played a short course this morning and was throwing it from a stand still from the tee. Seemed to work great. It's also a great alternative when you are approaching and have a super low ceiling. I threw several upshots from one knee and the glide is very apparent.

Yeah, I guess OAT just kills an understable/lighter disc. I sure don't want it to get an less stable, but after a few rounds, I feel like I'm getting a full flight from a stand-still hyzer flip. Played a short course this morning and was throwing it from a stand still from the tee. Seemed to work great. It's also a great alternative when you are approaching and have a super low ceiling. I threw several upshots from one knee and the glide is very apparent.

I am very convinced that most people's inability to throw u/s discs is OAT. Turning and burning a disc 100' out is not overpowering it, but a lot of people are weirdly obstinate about that.

Even if you have both a forehand and a backhand, slow under stable discs are helpful for uphill and tailwind/crosswind. Also, a hyzer flipped roller can go a lot farther than an anhyzer roller and can lengthen a career. Plus, hyzer flips are just plain fun.

Even if you have both a forehand and a backhand, slow under stable discs are helpful for uphill and tailwind. Also, a hyzer flipped roller can go a lot farther than an anhyzer roller and can lengthen a career. Plus, hyzer flips are just plain fun.

I was practicing roller this morning with the Underworld, and had struggled previously to get an disc to roll backhand. It's going to be handy in a tailwind, too.