• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best beginner discs of "lesser known" brands

DukeSilver79

Bogey Member
I've learned plenty about Innova, Discraft and some about Dynamic Discs. I want to try several, so lets hear your recommendations for discs of the other brands and why. Thanks.

Crosslap Lucky - Understable midrange in a gummy champ style plastic. This would be a fantastic first disc, and would remain useful no matter how good you get for turnover lines.

Axiom Inspire - Good beginner straight to fade driver, and as you gain D it will be useful for hyzer flips and S curves.

MVP Anode - The putter I start people with when I introduce them to disc golf. Incredibly straight for any power level.

UB Procul - A high glide distance driver with a lot of turn for 400'+ throwers but a straight and controllable flight for players just pushing 300-325'

DGA Squall - tweener between a midrange and fairway driver. Straight flying and powers up and down very well.

There are some really good ones out there;

Yikun; GAO is a very good leopard like driver understable but not flippy as all get out.
Hu is a very nice understable distance driver that is pretty straight for newer players.

Salient; Antidote midrange is a good understable mid that should be pretty straight at low power.

Gateway: they have the best putters on the market. Wizard, Magic, Warlock, Cheif you just can't beat them.

UB; Procul is a good understable distance disc.

Crosslap Lucky - Understable midrange in a gummy champ style plastic. This would be a fantastic first disc, and would remain useful no matter how good you get for turnover lines.

Exactly what I was going to say. The Lucky is the absolute go-to first disc for new players in Germany. :thmbup:

Mike C, I'm surprised you didn't mention the MVP Tangent. For higher power throwers it's got a gradual right turn, but dead straight with no fade for a lower powered throw. I also love it for finesse downhill shots.

Little flyer.....

Gotta give props to the little flyer maximizer. Speed six mixed with massive glide = superior newb distance. The large diameter makes it forgiving for how under stable it is . If your a newb and throwing less than 300, you'll want to check out a maximizer. I see 300+ all day with them and see 330 regularly, 350 here and there.....starts to get flippy after 350, but seen 600+ throwing down the mountain at conifer. I highly recommend this disc to newbs and have converted several players in my area. Really fun to throw . Check em out at Gggt. Threw my maximizer right along side of tbirds, terns, wraiths, and others all day today and shot even par at Chu to take home the big $4 in skins ($1 a hole) at the end of the day. We love them so much that I have a stack of 14 to keep every one in supply.

Last edited:
Any of these should work

Midranges
Legacy Gauge and Ghost
Crosslap Lucky
Salient Antidote
ABC Flying Squirrel
Latitude Fuse and Core
Prodigy M4 and M5
Vibram Ibex

Fairway/Control Drivers
Legacy Patriot
Prodigy F7
Westside Underworld
Latitude Diamond
Vibram Trak

Gotta give props to the little flyer maximizer. Speed six mixed with massive glide = superior newb distance. The large diameter makes it forgiving for how under stable it is . If your a newb and throwing less than 300, you'll want to check out a maximizer. I see 300+ all day with them and see 330 regularly, 350 here and there.....starts to get flippy after 350, but seen 600+ throwing down the mountain at conifer. I highly recommend this disc to newbs and have converted several players in my area. Really fun to throw . Check em out at Gggt. Threw my maximizer right along side of tbirds, terns, wraiths, and others all day today and shot even par at Chu to take home the big $4 in skins ($1 a hole) at the end of the day. We love them so much that I have a stack of 14 to keep every one in supply.

It tickles me pink to see someone recommend the maximizer. This was my first disc, and I have become good friends with the guy that used to own (or part own?) the maximizer and optimizer molds. It is a great disc for beginners, and an excellent roller disc for others. Also, I believe that they are the least expensive disc out there.

You guys have been great. I found one or two I'm going to add to my bag, as well as a couple for my wife who really needs some easy discs.

Opto Latitude Pure, best driving putter hands down. Weird ability to fly dead straight at almost any speed whether you're a bomber or lobber.

It tickles me pink to see someone recommend the maximizer. This was my first disc, and I have become good friends with the guy that used to own (or part own?) the maximizer and optimizer molds. It is a great disc for beginners, and an excellent roller disc for others. Also, I believe that they are the least expensive disc out there.

gggt now owns the mold. They sold me the last of the origional competition blend on my last order. its a firm blend that is vey durable, yet it has base plastic glide. we love em. duke, my wife throws a 150 max and gets around 200-250 out of it. she can get it to hold an anny line if needed also.

You guys have been great. I found one or two I'm going to add to my bag, as well as a couple for my wife who really needs some easy discs.

Salient antidote would be a great midrange for your wife-- Gave one to my brothers girlfriend who had her longest throw ever the 2nd time she threw it. If you want a easy to throw faster "max d" driver an MVP Impulse is worth checking out as well as an unlace.

Latest posts