• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best disc for a child (6yrs old)

adubs

My heavier putters are just too much for my little ones to handle. I read about the EDGE discs by Innova, which weigh about 100g, but I cannot find them anywhere. Any recommendations on a good disc for the kids?

My own daughter is a little older (she's eight) but she started learning last summer. Her favorite disc is a Diamond, which she has actually started to throw pretty well. It comes in very light weights (I think hers is about 138g) and is designed for slower arms and weaker throwers. Lat64 has some other discs in the same line that are good for kids too (the Pearl and Ruby spring to mind, there may be others).

Anything in the premie weights. Polecats, Wizards (not Lil Wizards), and Rocs are all run in those lower weights. I'm sure there are more, but those should cover most shots your kids would need. I would contact Gateway directly about the Wizards.

I agree with lil Wiz, I think the smaller size makes more sense for tiny hands, but the shape and density is still disc golf-like.

Be sure to put some time into teaching the forehand. Little people can generate power more easily this way.

I saw a 109g Leopard too, but worry that a fairway driver may not be as friendly when putting. I like the idea of lil Wizards (thanks for the link jedeye).

Check out Dog Discs at stores with big pet sections.

Many are about child size and pretty much lids, putters, and mids. Do not forget about lids. Lids good and easier to play catch with.

http://www.herodiscusa.com/canine-dog-discs
(hero disc also has various 150 and sub 150 discs.. rPro Skeeter and rPro ROC I noticed)

Last edited:
Be sure to put some time into teaching the forehand. Little people can generate power more easily this way.

Agreed. Like a firebird, anyone mention that yet? Sidearm of course... :p

Just kidding around, but how about the women and children's line from latitude 64. The diamond or jade or something. And the ruby putter. Look into those.

Save the firebird for when he needs a utility disc, big skips and hyzer spikes and when he develops a thumber. Probably a few months away from that though. ;)

I saw a 109g Leopard too, but worry that a fairway driver may not be as friendly when putting. I like the idea of lil Wizards (thanks for the link jedeye).

Oh yeah well my kids used Leopards for driving but had light putters as well....150g Omega Supersoft....but really anything works for putting.

My kids have had the best luck with something very light and understable. I found a very light Innova Kite that my kids like to throw. They also like throwing light lids.

lil wiz for sure, light and smaller.

lighter weight and understable flight patterns help, but I think a smaller overall size is more important when used by little hands. scaled up, it would be like us grownups trying to learn how to throw by starting out with something the size of a trash can lid.

If weight is definitely the issue, 150 class should be fine. Personally, my 6 year old son loves a lighter comet. He uses it for all drives and upshots.

My daughter is 11 now. At first, whe she was 5-6, she messed around with an Edge Polecat, and a normal weight Polecat. They were ok, but they never clicked for her really well.

A guy I met at an Ace Race gave me a super light Leopard and she did better with it immediately. She was proably 6-7, then. She still throws it now with a nice little hyzer flip to it.

Light DX Stingrays have a nice, shallow, rim and are pretty easy to grip. That was another very successful disc for here... And it still is.

My 4 yo Granddaughter loves her 138g Skeeter. And my grandsons all a little older love their lightweight Zephyrs. The superclass size doesn't seem to be problem.

lightweight mids and putters. Maybe a 120g teebird. At most.

I would think drivers would fit their little hands better, being more shallow. That's mostly what I've seen from friends with kids, them slanging a driver forehand.