• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best Disc for Correcting Form

Not that I necessarily agree with jeremiah's advice, but if you can't possible throw a 150 class disc, that does indicate form flaws that heavier discs tend to mask. You get good distance, but would probably get better distance if you worked to eliminate those flaws, likely including some OAT.

You can't possibly throw a a 150g disc with the same power and snap as you would a max weight disc and expect you get anything close to flying flat or str8. Just the power and snap alone accompanied by how light the disc is would, evey time, flip it right over into the ground.

Not that I necessarily agree with jeremiah's advice, but if you can't possible throw a 150 class disc, that does indicate form flaws that heavier discs tend to mask. You get good distance, but would probably get better distance if you worked to eliminate those flaws, likely including some OAT.

You can't possibly throw a a 150g disc with the same power and snap as you would a max weight disc and expect you get anything close to flying flat or str8. Just the power and snap alone accompanied by how light the disc is would, evey time, flip it right over into the ground.

I don't have any experience with this, but what people will tell you is that the main reason a 150-class disc will behave significantly less stable (or less stable at all for that matter) is due to OAT or some other form issue. The heavier the disc, the less you can affect it with flawed form. Check out some videos of the pros in the Japan tourneys, I think those are all 150-class discs. For high-powered players, light discs are more difficult to control distance with and require exceptionally clean form, but glide out longer.

OTOH, I would think that a lighter disc would accelerate to a higher speed initially and thus induce some additional high speed turn. So spin is probably a lot more important than speed.

Someone who knows needs to speak some facts here, I think.

I might have to say a putter mold. Learn to get a putter out to 250 or more and your form is somewhat decent at that point. I remember when I first started throwing them for distance, it would dive hard right in 40 feet or so. I have since learned to throw a disc a little better and get them out past 250.

Catch disc.

damn someone beat me to it. this is the truth though. most of the good players ive seen and played with locally are all ex-ultimate players. ive been playing a lot of catch this summer and its helping my disc golf game a lot. i finally learned how to throw a decent thumber by working with a frisbee.

putters are good, but if you really wanna see what your form is like, throw a catch disc. To me, its like that breakable club they have for ball golf called the Medicus.

damn someone beat me to it. this is the truth though. most of the good players ive seen and played with locally are all ex-ultimate players. ive been playing a lot of catch this summer and its helping my disc golf game a lot. i finally learned how to throw a decent thumber by working with a frisbee.

putters are good, but if you really wanna see what your form is like, throw a catch disc. To me, its like that breakable club they have for ball golf called the Medicus.

This has sold me on the catch disc. I played ball golf for years and one day picked up a Medicus and figured out that my form was all out of whack. A few days with that thing and I could hit the ball a lot farther with control and I broke 80 within a few weeks.

Which catch discs do you recommend? Zephyre or another Superclass, or a fisbee like a freestyle frisbee, or Ultimate frisbee? I am seriously considering one of these now.

I noticed you said ex-ultimate players? I still play a lot of ultimate and the really good handlers won't play disc golf cause it messes up their throw. I have noticed the same thing. They tell me I need to quit disc golf . . . but that aint gonna happen.

To answer the actual thread question.

I play catch with a Challenger. But you basically play catch with your putter or approach disc. Got the idea from Dan Ginnely the pro in AZ. We played catch with the challenger for about 20 min before playing. It is a great way to work on form and warm up.

I picked up my old 150 shark the other day, and decided to see how far I could throw it. It was flopping around in the air like a dead fish (so much OAT it was amazing). I found that I had to really concentrate on a smooth release to keep the thing flat. Working with that has helped my driving a ton.

A Pro D Buzzz was my workhorse when I went through the discing down routine. However, it did wonders and changed my game completely. Still have the Buzzz, although it's pretty beat to crap now. No longer use Buzzzs, but it was probably the most formative disc in my learning process.

Catch lid is the answer. Golf discs from putters all the way up are pretty much cheating compared to a catch disc. Putters are definitely the next step. I highly recommend playing courses with nothing but putters. I'd recommend that of almost any disc you want to get to know well.

But there's an even better answer, stand still throwing. More bad shots are a result of bad footwork than anything else. Learn to throw cuts and turnovers from a stand still position. Try it with putters, mids, and drivers. The biggest difference I notice from standing still is that I don't throw as high, and I think I get a little better spin on the disc.

Your heavy discs are apparently covering flaws in your form if 150 discs flip over into the ground when you throw them. Nikko, Dave, Nate and Avery (true big arms) all play with 150 discs in the Japan Open. Also, the high powered European throwers like Marcus Kallstrom (I throw far!) and Jussi Meresmaa play with the lighter discs in Japan. All these top players have excellent power AND snap and yet, they are not flipping 150 discs over.

Try throwing a 150 TeeBird. If that sucker flips over, you definitely have form issues.

I throw far: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoKctBjWRaY