• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best Disc Golf State

I would "define" the best disc golf state as the one we all want to move to. So I'd like to rephrase the question: if you had to move to another state, and could let your disc golfing addiction determine where you moved to, where would you go?

I don't think that is the same thing.. There are a lot of factors that determine where a person would want to live.. I mean, would you move somewhere just to be right down the road from 1 awesome course? or is it more important to have 10 'good' courses within an hour?

I've only played in 24 States, so can't make a definitive statement, but pound for pound, Oregon would get my vote so far...I have yet to play some of the most awesome courses in the country, so I can't wait to make a more educated guess some day :) So many courses, so little time...

Florida's nice because we can play year round. However I don't think we have great courses. I'm sure there a few very nice ones but I would think some of the more mountainous states would have the nicer and more difficult courses.

I agree with theGryphon, you guys are too rough on Florida. Things are flat down here but we are expanding our courses to include quarries and limestone carved out hills. http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=1635 When was the last time someone from Oregon or Washington tried to put a course on top of some Mts... never. It would be the most physically challenging game ever, "Hey Frodo, the tee sign says the pin is 1000 feet down but only 100 feet away...better not put too much arm on this one."
Besides the weather is nice, except from 3-5 during the summer, and we have more hot chicks than any other state. Age 18-70 of course but I'm not picky.

hey florida guys,
my inlaws have moved to brooksville and i'll be there for a week surrounding christmas- what are the must-play courses within 45 minutes or so? i can probably only find time to hit 2- my current plan is the redhawk and the quarry. if only the canyon were still playable!

If you are driving down I-75 stop by Northside Park in Gainesville, or the Greenway DGC near Ocala. I've never played those other two but want to someday. Oh and Magnolia DCG is off of 75 near I-10 but it's a fee course and I have not played it either.

we'll be flying to orlando and driving over from there but my dg ops will need to be centered around brooksville. floral city appears to have potential in addition to redhawk and quarry.

We play year-round in Oregon. You just need good waterproof shoes and either a high tolerance for getting wet OR a willingness to pick and choose which days you play. (I'm in the latter category.)

Innovadude,

How would your rate metro Atlanta in comparison to other areas in your travels?

When was the last time someone from Oregon or Washington tried to put a course on top of some Mts... never. It would be the most physically challenging game ever, "Hey Frodo, the tee sign says the pin is 1000 feet down but only 100 feet away...better not put too much arm on this one."
QUOTE]

I just played Mt. Bachelor in Bend OR in July....took a chair lift up about 5000-6000 ft and played straight down the mountain...had the best drive of my life...over 900 ft :)

Whistler's Bend in OR has a great hole that is straight down about 800 - 900 feet or so...I drove with my ROC and landed 10 feet from the basket...made me feel like a pro

As far as determining things by where you would want to move to...I wouldn't want to live anywhere other than San Diego...but we don't have alot of great courses close by...

Last edited:
NC was a great disc golf state today. Close to 50 degrees out and sunny.

6 courses in 25 miles
18 courses in 50 miles
37 - 100 miles

4 courses in my town.
One's a neighborhood pitch n putt
Two are beautiful courses through what used to be suburban homes before they were flooded out.
The newest is part of a local sports complex they found room for.
Just a little more work and they could all be 1st class.

Saint Louis, MO.
16 courses within 25 miles, 24 within 50. The local club has an annual Iron Man tourney where you play 6 courses in a day, which I mention only to say that all of the courses are near one another as well as near my home. Also, I can head in almost any direction and make a two day disc golf road trip. Up towards Chicago there are tons of courses between here and there. To KC? Pop over to Columbia for a couple rounds on the way, and then make KC in 4-5 hours, play 7 or 8 courses in 2 days and be back home in time for Lost. I'm not going to say that I live in the greatest DG city, but I do feel fortunate that we have so many different yet quality courses in the area. Judging from the reactions I've heard from some out of towners who have come in for various tourney's etc, we have pretty good courses here.

Oh, and I want to add that our courses are open 365. Rain, snow, whatever. I realize we don't get the punishing winters like Michigan, but it still gets pretty f-ing cold in the winter, sweltering in the summer, so on and so forth and I'm out there all year round. Who needs sunshine and 70 at christmas anyway?

Latest posts