• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf & Mountain Bike Conflict

That's what we wanted from the start. What are the names of the parks?
Nature Park in Mount Dora, FL has MTB trails that cross the course in between holes, they even have a MTB "terrain" area (hills, jumps, etc) that probably attracts a lot of MTBers.

I'm pretty sure there are also MTB trails at Renaissance Park in Charlotte. I recall crossing those a couple of times between holes.

Good luck!

I will not play in a park with Mountain bikes. They are dangerous. I have played at a park in Fort Worth with bikers and was almost run over a number of times. Walkers probably say the same about us.
Just because you had a bad experience with a course/bike trail combo doesn't make them all bad or dangerous.
There are a lof of excellent examples of good, safe disc/bike combos are out there. Unfortunately, there are a lot of unsafe disc/bike situations too.
And the risk of injury is almost always with the biker. We can hear a bike coming - bikers can't hear a disc coming.

Just because you had a bad experience with a course/bike trail combo doesn't make them all bad or dangerous.
There are a lof of excellent examples of good, safe disc/bike combos are out there. Unfortunately, there are a lot of unsafe disc/bike situations too.
And the risk of injury is almost always with the biker. We can hear a bike coming - bikers can't hear a disc coming.
bikes have brakes too

and also mtb rules are "ride in control"

A huge mistake happened in Dallas several years ago. A course was approved by the city and installed on top of a bunch of bike trails. The bikers destroyed the baskets. Even though the city wanted the bikers out, they won, the course was lost. Too bad, it was becoming the best course in DFW at the time.

Blue Mtn ski resort in PA has mtn biking through parts of the dg course, after I saw the first bike whiz by I kept on the look out so I didn't get creamed.

Seneca Creek and Patapsco Valley State Parks in MD, and Freedom Center - Clark's Run in VA jump to mind. Seneca Creek did a particularly nice job because the disc golf course and mountain bike trails cross at least twice, but crossings occur on the walks between holes.

Good luck!
I've seen mountain bikers at Delaveaga in Santa Cruz, never any problems that I witnessed. Getting along allows the park management to categorize the area as mixed use, a designation that can be an advantage for both groups when the parks planning folks review the area.

Yes, Renaissance has bike paths. For the most part, the two sports don't intersect, except that their trail does come kind of close to a tee pad and the back side of one of the big rock holes...And then on Renske, we have to hike about 80 yards from one basket to the next tee while directly on their track.

Once, they were having a biking event while we had a tournament on Renske. We're aware of them, and we know to keep to the far right of the path when they're active. What cracked me up was one dude who went whizzing by hollering "BIKE RACE!" Our group, in unison and damn near 4-part harmony, answered, "GOLF TOURNAMENT!"

It doesn't have to be confrontational or even slightly problematic, as long as there's good communication from both parties. Mocheez' situation seems worse, because the golfers were "promised" land that the bikers ended up taking, like a Mongol horde...

Alpine Valley ski hill (Wisconsin) was full of mountain bike trails when I did the design there last year. MB and DG seem to be co-existing so far. The long-term scenario will be based on revenue generated by each activity.

Latest posts