• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best Discs for kids

hendersondayton

Eagle Member
Why have no disc golf companies made recreational discs for KIDS? Smaller Diameter (Between a Mini and an "adult" disc). I have not found anything that would be practical for 5 year olds.

I know discs like the Innova Aero or other PnA discs are suggested but are there "kids" discs on the market anywhere?

gateway is producing a line of ultra light discs in some common molds.
we have gotten some for our schools program. most of the weights are betweem 110g - 125g. much easier for beginners to huck and since they are sooo light they seem to be easier for the beginners to control.
gateway discs are also making "beginners" packs with 3 discs : a driver (apache),mid (element) and a putter (wizard). all in the ultra light weight.

For just fun on the course. The best place I found was in the pet toy section inside Petco. Sounds nuts but heck my daughter was around 4 or 5. She loved tossing those floppy chew toy discs! Or heck, find some of those (oxymoron time), huge mini's to use?

I dyed a super light Valkyrie for my nephew that he loves and gets close to 100 foot shots with. He's only 4 and he plays all 18 with us about once a week. My daughter carries 2 Leopards in her little bag, one in Champ that's mid weight and a really light DX. She's turning 9 soon. I think any beginner type disc in lighter weights would probably work for most kids. The Frisbee MaxFlight would also work well. It's got the feel of a disc golf disc and it's really easy for kids to toss.

I don't think the weight is the issue. Don't you think the diameter is the issue? I mean, imagine throwing a trash can lid. Kids with little hands need a disc that is proportionate to their hand size. The mini is a little too small. A Buzzz, Roc, etc, although they can be bought light, i think the size is more the issue.

My daughter is 5, she tosses my magnet in the yard a lot. It just wobbles around cause her hands are too small to really be able to get her hands around it.