• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best Forehand Drivers for a Newb?

Jewdy

Par Member
I have been playing disc golf for a little over 2 months. I have a terrible backhand (that I am working on) but a decent forehand. I have been throwing a 170g champion Valkyrie a little over 300' very low and straight until it went in the drink today in the middle of a great round (I was 1 under after the first 12 holes on Fore Palms, JAX). There are limited disc golf retailers in my area and was going to order some discs online. Could someone give me some suggestions on forehand friendly drivers that might help my game while I am developing my backhand?

http://www.clearwaterdiscgolfstore.com/ has tons to hand pick at the store in Clearwater, plus some good local courses to play to justify the trip across the state.

https://www.discgolfvalues.com/home.htm does a great job of hand picking the better X-outs from Innova, which is handy to save money while tree bashing and otherwise losing discs/trying new things as a noob.

I am working on my FH, some strong FH locals have suggested Tbirds and Rocs as good discs to learn a FH. So far I have liked these molds for learning.
When I use a FH on the course I usually use a Roc or an Eagle since I don't usually caryy Tbirds.

eagle is damn close to a teebird.

what are your eagles doing when you put some sauce on them?

and...b...you need to learn a backhand. the sooner the better.

If you're getting that kind of line with a champ. valkyrie, that is awesome, keep it up! You must be throwing pretty cleanly, which is great. If and when you improve your FH power, the champ. valk. could very well be your turnover or hyzer flip fairway driver.

You should be able to get nice lines out of star/champ. teebirds, star or champ. beasts, z or esp flashes, firebird l's, opto or goldline strikers, etc. It'll all be about feel in your hand and release, I find. For me, the relative flatness, rim size, and grip of 11x champ. firebirds are the best feel, and give me the most consistent forehand release of any disc I own. Star Destroyers are second, but pretty far behind in accuracy if I'm really trying to work tight fairways.

So, I'd recommend finding a similar rim size, plastic stiffness/grip, and flatness of your champ. valk. Definitely get a few champ. valks that are similar for backups, too. You should be able to do that by weight and color, within the same run. For champ. teebirds, you might be able to find a very similar feel based on plastic color/flatness/opaqueness, too.

Thanks for the suggestions Flick. I found a champ teebird and a champ sidewinder at the local sporting goods store. I really like both disks and will be on the lookout for a firebird or maybe a FL.

I've had great success with the Roc and PD forehand. Somehow I could never get the grip right on the TB. Despite trying for a long time I could never get rid of the occasional wobble-to-flat error. Hmm. Maybe if I tried again I'd be better at it.

I would recommend a Banshee or Eagle-X for somebody just learning. They'll allow you to put a bit more of your arm into it and be more forgiving than more neutral discs will. Just remember that most of the power/spin come from your wrist.

Fizzy said:
Somehow I could never get the grip right on the TB. Despite trying for a long time I could never get rid of the occasional wobble-to-flat error. Hmm. Maybe if I tried again I'd be better at it.

I've always had the same problem anytime I've tried to FH a teebird.

There are some other threads like this around. It is better for you start on something less stable so you can build your form clean from the ground up. Just start out with your favorite putter and work up from there.

I have been putting with Aviar P&As. I have trouble throwing them side arm, I think because of the depth of the rim. Maybe I will grab a couple XDs.

An XD or Pure are a great choice for a shallow rim and their neutral stability. I'm finding out that l'm not a huge fan of the deep dish rims, but maybe it is just learning how to throw them like anything else.

Sean40474 said:
An XD or Pure are a great choice for a shallow rim and their neutral stability. I'm finding out that l'm not a huge fan of the deep dish rims, but maybe it is just learning how to throw them like anything else.

Ringer, RINGER! :)

Latest posts