• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Best High Glide Putters?

Good video! We all commonly say spin with a wrist flick, which I still think that matters, but no doubt, as he explains, spin comes a lot from the fingers. I use pretty much the exact same fan grip that he does - I found it to get me way more accurate than any fingers against the rim (like with a power grip). Also interesting that, compared to what many pros teach, he drops his throw starting point lower and further back, to his left knee, to get more power on his putt. I broke away from normal here completely, and I stand in a traditional driving stance, with my feet and body perpendicular to the basket, which allows bringing the disc back MUCH further, to get more power easily (and I am guessing the argument as to why that stance is not used is probably lack of aim/consistency?). But, does putter selection matter…. I still argue it does, especially if/when you make that push for the next level of putting. I need a putter that feels comfortable in my hand, that flies straight, and that I am familiar with in a way that I know what it will do every time I throw it, every way I throw it, and at every distance I throw it. But, get form right first, practice a ton second, and disc choice third - I would agree with that as order of importance/priority. But, as long as I am doing tons of practice, I want to find the best putter for me, for my hand, my form - stock pile that putter, and do the reps with it. Get the right putter as early on as I can, so my million reps are spent really learning "my" putter, along with reinforcing good form. I love roller skating, and much like with roller skating skills and tricks, muscle memory is very important. Do those putts so many times that your body can do it automatically, without thinking, and without struggle. So, on topic, I went to local PIAS tonight, and bought 3 new and 5 used putters, most of which I had already researched and liked as putters with high potential to work well for me. I swapped them in for mostly Judges, and first time using them, I easily had my best night putting yet! 10' - 10/10. 15' - 10/10, and 9/10. 20' - 8/10. 25' - 7/10. 30' - 3/10. 35' - 2/10. 40' - 0/10. 45' - 2/10. 50' - 1/10 and 2/10. My longer putts, while mostly still missing, are getting closer and closer, so hopefully better numbers will be coming soon. So, I may not need to limit myself to ten of one favorite putter - it may be a combination of a few putters that all fly very similar to each other - time will tell. Once I try these all out for a while, combined with all of the putters I already had, maybe I will do some putter reviews. I wish improving my drives was as easy as improving my putting - that is a nightmare! My opinions - feedback welcome.

If I try to 'throw' the Glitch inside of 100', then yes, it can shoot past. But if you just putt with it, then no. The trick is more wrist less arm. While the Glitch is glidey, when it runs out of steam, it drops pretty quickly. I wouldn't use it as your main putter, only outside of 30'. You shouldn't need 10 of them. One or two will do. The reason you never find them used is because they're fun discs. Even the people who don't bag them generally find them useful as a catch disc.
So, I found my Gliche (play on words - gliche/niche - hehehehe). I was in Play It Again Sports today, and they got a rather new disc - Gliche Neutron Watt Special Edition - 171g. All of the straight of a gliche, but with added weight so it will go for the chains better? I hoped so. I bought 3 new and 5 used putters tonight, and used all of them with only an hour to go before dark, so my new $21.99 baby didn't get a ton of use…. But, first impression, it seemed to hold a line really nice, consistent, but I putt with my discs mostly very level/flat, and it kept coming out of my hand tipped slightly left, but 'aiming itself' right of the basket. Not sure why yet - the other putters I used were not doing that. But, I definitely plan to get it figured out, because it flew extremely consistent, it 'wants to go straight', and if I can get the release right, I could see it being a beautiful putter. So, jury still out for now. I bought a new Anode for $12.99, that also seems very nice, but I didn't quite get it honed it yet. Got several used discs that seemed well matched to what I like in a putter. So, can't wait to play a round with the boys in the morning, show off the new plastic, and maybe just as anxious to spend more time doing putting practice and figure out if I will have a new favorite putter soon, or not. Come on, yes!

So I guess this is the thread where ChrisinFL does newb reviews of every putter he can get his hands on.

I wonder if poor Wookie ever found his Goldilocks high glide putter.

So, I found my Gliche (play on words - gliche/niche - hehehehe). I was in Play It Again Sports today, and they got a rather new disc - Gliche Neutron Watt Special Edition - 171g. All of the straight of a gliche, but with added weight so it will go for the chains better?
While I haven't gotten my hands on one yet, the Watt and the Glitch are not the same. If nothing else, the Watt is supposedly way more shallow. Flight-wise I've heard the Watt is somewhere between the Glitch and the Ohm. I should be able to get my hands on one soon. My local shop has a shipment of them en route.

Play It Again Sports said "Glitch" on their tag, and the counter help said they got a new, heavier Glitch, but I wondered…. I noticed later at home, no where on the disc did it say Glitch (only on the tag), and I looked at it online and it didn't either. Still a nice disc, like a heavy Glitch, but… 🙁🙁🙁

Play It Again Sports said "Glitch" on their tag, and the counter help said they got a new, heavier Glitch, but I wondered…. I noticed later at home, no where on the disc did it say Glitch (only on the tag), and I looked at it online and it didn't either. Still a nice disc, like a heavy Glitch, but… 🙁🙁🙁

Sounds like a glitch in their process.

Sorry had to with the door that wide open. :LOL:

I think you want a Judge. You might like it.
I still putt with them when i use my Trilogy bag, but they are too floaty for me so i mainly use Omega 4's for my main bag.

I think you want a Judge. You might like it.
I still putt with them when i use my Trilogy bag, but they are too floaty for me so i mainly use Omega 4's for my main bag.
No. I was collecting Judges, got to 6-7 of them, but decided as I got better at putting, they were a little too floaty, and not quite straight enough. I still use a few Judges practicing for now, but leaning towards similar numbers as a Judge, but ones that feel a little better in my hand, and a bit straighter. I don't like light weight putters at all, but finding the heavy weight putters fly mostly the same where I make all or most putts (15', 20'), but further away, 30' to 50', and for longer approach shots, is where I have to experiment, play with them all, and see what suits me the best. Trying out about 15 different putters… I really thought it would be an easier decision!

MVP Electron Atom. You will thank me later.

Just don't try using it in a headwind, it will take a 45 degree turn on you, lol.

MVP Electron Atom. You will thank me later.

Just don't try using it in a headwind, it will take a 45 degree turn on you, lol.
I have a used Atom, and a new Annode, both 173g, among my putters. The Atom is a Circuit Challenge 2022 edition - I think that is the same as a regular one? I actually think so far it doesn't feel as good coming out of my hand, going for the chains, as most of my other putters, but it seems to maybe have more distance. For now, if I bag it, it is for an approach shot that is just a little too long for the putters I bag for putting - but my putter experimenting is still in it's infancy stage.

No. I was collecting Judges, got to 6-7 of them, but decided as I got better at putting, they were a little too floaty, and not quite straight enough. I still use a few Judges practicing for now, but leaning towards similar numbers as a Judge, but ones that feel a little better in my hand, and a bit straighter. I don't like light weight putters at all, but finding the heavy weight putters fly mostly the same where I make all or most putts (15', 20'), but further away, 30' to 50', and for longer approach shots, is where I have to experiment, play with them all, and see what suits me the best. Trying out about 15 different putters… I really thought it would be an easier decision!
Do you like headless putters? I could be biased but I think the Millennium Omega 4 is one of the best putters ever made. I Can make it be a direct putt or I can float it effortlessly in the basket. Great driving putter too

Do you like headless putters? I could be biased but I think the Millennium Omega 4 is one of the best putters ever made. I Can make it be a direct putt or I can float it effortlessly in the basket. Great driving putter too
Yes, I prefer beadless.

The perfect putter is a unicorn.

Distinguishing between straight and fade at 50' is much more about how you throw than what you throw.

Not to say you should select a putter you gel with—but the difference is as much it more mental as it is is how the disc flies

I practice with judges, wizards, aviary, and wardens. I know when the disc leaves my hand whether it's good or not.

I liked the SSSS wizard with the hope it wouldn't role away. But, the aviar in base plastic may be the money disc for me. It seems like it wants to go straight at the basket.

I have only been playing about 3 months, and maybe working my putting hard for 2 months, so my opinions are still developing…. I agree - no unicorn. But, I think some putters feel better in my hand than others. I have small hands, so I prefer a beadless, shallow putter. Some release better from my hand than others. For example, I have an Axiom Electron Soft Proxy, and I love the feel of it, and it's flight when I release it clean is really nice, but that's the catch. The damn thing just 'wants' to stick to my hand. I have to fight to release it clean, and way too often I either release it too soon or too late - can't keep a consistent clean release that comes much easier with most of my other putters. Some putters fly straighter for me than others - I have many Judges, and for me, they are 'floaty' - they sometimes float up too much, and they turn and fade more than they should based on their flight numbers. When I feel I have the same throw, another disc will go straight into the basket like it's on a line, where the Judge might go in, but first it turns right a bit, then fades back left again, leaving me leaning back and forth saying why the heck is it moving so much - where is my straight line? Even if that Judge often goes in, I just don't feel the confidence in it that it will do what I want it to - GO STRAIGHT! Weight - I will never use a light putter - like the Judge, they are too 'floaty', with more turn, fade, and glide that can take them away from the straight line I want them on, and often causes misses to go much further away than my heavy putter misses, too. 170g plus only for my putter, even though I like light drivers to help me gain much needed distance. All that said, with all those likes and dislikes, I am still playing with at least 10 similar putters and really having a hard time finding a go to favorite. Ugh. I want my unicorn!!! Lol.

I have only been playing about 3 months, and maybe working my putting hard for 2 months, so my opinions are still developing…. I agree - no unicorn. But, I think some putters feel better in my hand than others. I have small hands, so I prefer a beadless, shallow putter. Some release better from my hand than others. For example, I have an Axiom Electron Soft Proxy, and I love the feel of it, and it's flight when I release it clean is really nice, but that's the catch. The damn thing just 'wants' to stick to my hand. I have to fight to release it clean, and way too often I either release it too soon or too late - can't keep a consistent clean release that comes much easier with most of my other putters. Some putters fly straighter for me than others - I have many Judges, and for me, they are 'floaty' - they sometimes float up too much, and they turn and fade more than they should based on their flight numbers. When I feel I have the same throw, another disc will go straight into the basket like it's on a line, where the Judge might go in, but first it turns right a bit, then fades back left again, leaving me leaning back and forth saying why the heck is it moving so much - where is my straight line? Even if that Judge often goes in, I just don't feel the confidence in it that it will do what I want it to - GO STRAIGHT! Weight - I will never use a light putter - like the Judge, they are too 'floaty', with more turn, fade, and glide that can take them away from the straight line I want them on, and often causes misses to go much further away than my heavy putter misses, too. 170g plus only for my putter, even though I like light drivers to help me gain much needed distance. All that said, with all those likes and dislikes, I am still playing with at least 10 similar putters and really having a hard time finding a go to favorite. Ugh. I want my unicorn!!! Lol.
I say I prefer a beadless rim, but I have a used Discraft Soft Magnet, that has what they call a beveled, microbeaded bottom rim…. Very different from most of my putters, and at first I hated it. But, as I keep using it in practice, get used to it and get better with it - well, the damn thing seems more and more to like going in the basket. If I had to rank my maybe 15 different putters right now, it doesn't quite make my bag on game day, but it probably breaks into my top 5, and not sure yet if it is done climbing or not. Time will tell. Finding a favorite putter is much harder than I expected (but I am having a blast exploring them)!

Got another question about putters (I'm starting to actually care about putting lately, practicing more, and getting better). So I really want to dial in my putters, as I'm noticing my scores going down, JUST because of the slight increase in consistency and making some longer 20-30' putts more often in a rd.

So I'm looking to add a high glide, super straight putter to my bag, to compliment my regular putters (right now it's some old P2's) for longer distance putts. So for me, since I'm still not even a decent putter (30' or more is long to me) I rarely make putts longer than that. And my % of making putts past 20' is also very low.

And last weekend I played with a guy that had a neat putter, it was an MVP, I think it was called a Nomad? And he said it was a high glide super straight, long distance putter. So he let me try it a few times and I could tell right away that it flew different than my putters. I gave it the same amount of power as I would have for the distance and it just kept going and was super straight. I kept missing high and little right. Which makes sense, since it has more glide and is straighter than my putters. And I was very intrigued by it. And started thinking of how I could shave off even more strokes if I had a putter that went in more from longer distances. Or at least allowed me to get really close more often. I end up putting all sorts of horrible body english and bad form into my longer 40-80' putts and sometimes end up really far away and 3 putt. Which is just pathetic. So I started thinking that if I could add a higher glide super straight putter to my bag, I could shave off another 1-3 strokes per 18 holes. And another putter in place of one my many FW's or drivers would be a much smarter disc to have. I'm not going to be shaving strokes off my rd by having 10-15 FW's/Drivers in my bag. But adding a putter that helps me make 1-2 long putts, and get me close the other times will!

So I'm just looking for some good suggestions. Nothing with crazy glide that goes forever 20' past the basket if you miss. But more than the normal 3 that most putters have. So I'm thinking 4, maybe 5 glide? And also, I'd really like it to be super straight in it's flight, with almost or no fade at all. If thrown flat, it just keeps going straight.

Also, my favorite putters for feel/shape are the Pure and old S line P2's. Not too deep, but not too shallow. I love the feel of shallow discs and putters, but for some reason, shallow putters (like my Reko or Link) just aren't that consistent and I don't make that many longer putts with them. Whereas I make more putts with my P2's and my Opto Glimmer Pure (that I usually only throw with). Go figure. Also no large beads or anything that catches your finger easily. I like a putter that just glides out of your hand. If it has a small round bead that doesn't affect the release, then I'm fine with it.

The few putters I've seen so far that seem to be like what I'm looking for are the Mercy, Keystone, Nomad, Warden, and a Pilot. But I'm sure there are others.

Thanks
I used to be of the same opinion that I needed more glide until I realized that a low glide, overstable option worked best when I developed more spin rate. I putt with the Innova Rhyno and have seen a huge improvement in my putting game. Full disclosure I put a lot of emphasis on my putting game since I know that I don't out throw the guys I play with so I make up for it a lot on the green. Also wanted to cut down on molds in the bag so I approach with a champ rhyno and putt with a nexus rhyno.

The perfect putter is a unicorn.

Distinguishing between straight and fade at 50' is much more about how you throw than what you throw.

Not to say you should select a putter you gel with—but the difference is as much it more mental as it is is how the disc flies

I practice with judges, wizards, aviary, and wardens. I know when the disc leaves my hand whether it's good or not.

I liked the SSSS wizard with the hope it wouldn't role away. But, the aviar in base plastic may be the money disc for me. It seems like it wants to go straight at the basket.
I have a used Aviar DX too, looks very worn, that flies straight and really goes where I point it. When it is off, it is usually me, not the disc. Not a lot of glide - it needs a little more muscle than my other discs with similar speed and glide numbers - but very reliable. Goes a certain distance, then a quick drop/fade. Every time I hit the disc shop now, heavy used Aviar DX is at the top of my shopping list - see if I can get more! If I could get 10 of it quick and easy, I might start working it as my go to tomorrow! I bought one brand new Aviar DX - just not the same at all (but, maybe some my fault, I failed to notice it is lighter than I like - 165g or so).

I used to be of the same opinion that I needed more glide until I realized that a low glide, overstable option worked best when I developed more spin rate. I putt with the Innova Rhyno and have seen a huge improvement in my putting game. Full disclosure I put a lot of emphasis on my putting game since I know that I don't out throw the guys I play with so I make up for it a lot on the green. Also wanted to cut down on molds in the bag so I approach with a champ rhyno and putt with a nexus rhyno.
Experienced, knowledgeable guys on here seem to indicate that the technique and practice is most of the formula, and which putter you use doesn't matter much. Well, I agree, technique and practice is probably 80-90%, but personally, I want to nail down that last 10-20%, too! Good luck to all of you on a similar journey!

Chris, the point is that 10% is unrecognizable when 80-90% is problematic.

You could find your golden goose and discard it because of the significant issues in the 80-90% that isn't dialed.

You can't eliminate a minor variable (the disc) when the most significant variable (technique) is in flux.

This is why it's suggested to get 10 of the same putter you are comfortable with and practice practice practice.

Once you develop a highly consistent stroke/throw/feel you can then evaluate putters.

But, you mentioned hand size and I do tend to believe shallower rimmed discs result in a cleaner more consistent release, particularly for smaller hands. In my limited experience, MVP seems to make putters that you may want to consider.

MVP absolutely! I already like the feel, release, way some MVP discs fly - I know there is a good chance my favorite will emerge from MVP. Sheep - in your putting video, you had about ten of the same disc, and threw them very clean and straight. They looked like something from MVP? I might have to try to find that video again and see if he said what disc he was using!

Latest posts