• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Best Innova Forehand roller?

Druhmastic

I currently use a distraft zone for my forehand rollers and it is a staple in my game. My brother throws strictly innova and was wondering if there was any disc they make they can role as Well? And No, we arnt talking about the condor! Haha

Flat top champ Firebird has 4WD, I use it on a low clearance 450+ ft hole all the time.

It's a great roller for FH. Banshee, Ape and Monstrr are good too.

It all depends on what you want it to do.

More overstable discs stand up more slowly and wait longer to turn over into a curl. This means they are overall straighter. Sometimes that's what you want, sometimes not. If you need straight then a big curl-out then you should look for a more UNDERstable disc.

The blunter the rim the shorter the roll. Drivers roll further than putters. But if you go for warp speeders then they are not as durable because the nose geometry is not as beefy. It's all a trade off and depends on what you need for that hole.

Heavier discs roll through grass better than light discs and usually roll further in any situation.

That should help choose the right disc for you.

FWIW, I will BH/FH roll any disc in my bag. My generic choice for slow turning FH rollers is a 175g Champ Firebird. Ultra fast turning is my beat 175g DX Leopard. Champ Sidewinders also work well but don't turn as fast as Leo's IME. Putter rollers are usually 175g Champ PandAs or Rhynos.

Hope that helps!

I loved throwing FH rollers with Champ TeeBirds. Anything overstable in Innova's lineup should act similar to the Zone.

Whatever works. I know Destroyers and Firebirds are popular. Sexton uses a Teebird and works well . really whatever works,

Whatever works. I know Destroyers and Firebirds are popular. Sexton uses a Teebird and works well . really whatever works,

The Teebird he uses when he wants it to turn more. The most famous throw on video from him with that shot, the basket is up hill and to the left from where Nate was standing. He needed the disc to go up the hill, and a Firebird would have fought against that, where the Teebird will want to curl left up the hill. So the Teebird can be extremely useful in certain cases, but not the traditional overstability you need for most forehand rollers. Not saying you did not know that Thomas, just putting this in as qualification for someone that might be less experienced and not know how a Teebird roller will behave.

Last edited:
I also like champ Firebird for longest/straightest possible FH roller. However because of its stability and my only moderate experience with the shot, sometimes they cut roll, sometimes they go dead straight, and sometimes they curl over. It's never bad though unless it hits something. I also like an overstable Teebird for a roller that will be guaranteed to curl to the left...I use it to make corners in tricky situations and for rollers that are shorter than the Firebird. I haven't really noticed any advantage for myself going to an overstable Destroyer FH roller vs. the Firebird.

Flat top champ Firebird has 4WD, I use it on a low clearance 450+ ft hole all the time.

It's a great roller for FH. Banshee, Ape and Monstrr are good too.

I agree with this. I have found that blunt nosed discs are much more predictable for FH rollers.

Why not take whatever discs you currently bag and try out a few for the same hole/type shot you would utilize a roller on..?

Or would that be too easy and take the fun out of trying out a new disc?

I know what I'm doing tomorrow. Takin a big ol bag of discs and tossin some rollers!

Its a ton of fun. And putters and mids go farther than you think would. Do inventory before you go out, its easy to lose them especially if theyre rolling all over the place.

Champ Roc3 is my go to. My home course is very wooded and it works as a great utility disc. Since it's very wooded, I don't often need distance on my FH rollers, so no experience with drivers, but I think I'll be giving my '17 Sexton Firebird a roll when I get out there tonight!

Latest posts