• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best Wind Putter

What is the best overstable wind putter?

• challenger

Votes: 17 13.3%
  • big bead aviar

Votes: 10 7.8%
  • rhyno

Votes: 34 26.6%
  • wizard

Votes: 20 15.6%
  • ion

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • other

Votes: 43 33.6%

• Total voters
Thank you. It is true though. If you throw over stable putters like you would throw an aviar or a challenger, you couldn't throw it very well. You have to throw it harder like a mid or a driver. It takes much less finesse and not nearly as smooth of a release to throw a pig, zone or VP compared to a wizard or an aviar.

Frank I have a little bit of advice for you. Dont bother flaming on me because your opinion honestly means nothing to me. So dont waste the thought.

But a certain song written back in 1968 said it perfectly:
"Different strokes for different folks" From the song Everyday People by Sly and The Family Stone

In a more complex terms: Just because something works for you does not mean it will work for some one else. Certain people have different throwing styles and if something works for them then that is great.

Your "know everything" attitude is really annoying and some people do not appreciate it.
I have read countless threads on this forum with people getting mad at you for your arrogance.

So lay off. It really doesn't help anything.

Now that I am done with that.
There can be advantages to throwing over stable putters. Such as headwinds, or hyzer shots, or flex shots using a putter at slow speeds.

Take my advice and become a better player or stick with saying "different strokes for different folks" and hide or ignore the problems in your game. Your choice.

Your advice does not work for everyone.
Some people have different body builds and throw different.

And I do not work my game out online. I do it on the course with practice.

Higher Post Counts = Too much time on internet and not enough playing.

And if you really want to help players and the sport by making them better you would lend your advice in a less evasive manner. Youd be suprised how many more people would listen to you.

What the top pros use:

Avery: Aviars
Barry: Aviars
Climo: Aviars
Kallstrum: Aviar-Xs
Feldburg: Aviars, Rhyno (trick shots)
Schwebby: Aviars
Doss: Challenger
Cam Todd: Challenger
Cale Leiviska: Magnet, Challenger
Geoff Bennett: Focus, Challenger, Banger
McCabe: Challenger, Banger
Nikko: Magic, Wizard

So only Feldburg carries a very over stable putter, all the rest just carry stable putters and seem to do just fine. You are hurting your game by not learning to throw a normal stable putter in the wind.

Your advice does not work for everyone.
Some people have different body builds and throw different.

And I do not work my game out online. I do it on the course with practice.

Higher Post Counts = Too much time on internet and not enough playing.

And if you really want to help players and the sport by making them better you would lend your advice in a less evasive manner. Youd be suprised how many more people would listen to you.

Cool I play my game outside too but since I am stuck inside right now I think I just continue to post.

How about people get over having a thin skin online and take good advice no matter how it is offered.

You're right. Frank's bedside manner sucks.

What would you classify as an overstable putter frank?

Rhyno, Zone, Classic Roc, Sinus, Pig...

They can work for some people, it just depends on putting style. If for them putting harder with a more stable disc works then good for them.

I use a Crystal Z Challenger for strong winds putts, especially anything over 20'.

What would you classify as an overstable putter frank?

Rhyno, Zone, Classic Roc, Sinus, Pig...

They can work for some people, it just depends on putting style. If for them putting harder with a more stable disc works then good for them.

Rhyno, Zone, Sinus, Pig, VP are all over stable putters. And while a certain putting style might work for a person, it can also mask flaws in your game. Putting is one of the hardest parts of the game and a person will only hurt themselves by using certain discs to cover up form flaws.

Im guessing the thread is asking the best "headwind" putter is and in my opinion its the Zone. It will go straight into a 30 mile head wind with little to know problem and glide right in.

Thank you. It is true though. If you throw over stable putters like you would throw an aviar or a challenger, you couldn't throw it very well. You have to throw it harder like a mid or a driver. It takes much less finesse and not nearly as smooth of a release to throw a pig, zone or VP compared to a wizard or an aviar.

I disagree Frank.
By and large I putt with the same technique, whether with my Aviar or Challenger. I may raise the wing slightly on the Challenger for a more S-shaped shot but that's finesse.

I just realized you said, Frank Delicious, here: "If you throw over stable putters like you would throw an aviar or a challenger, you couldn't throw it very well."

Last I checked my Challenger is an overstable putter.

So I'm wondering whether you're confused some yourself as to what the best putter in winds might be?

A challenger is a stable putter not overstable, just like an Aviar BB or a wizard. It is actually less stable than either of those putters due to a smaller bead. So you might want to check again.

Well, according to Discraft, the Challenger is an "amazing overstable putter."

For a second though, you had me, I was excited that perhaps I ended up with a Crystal Z Challenger with "overstable putter" printed on it.

:rolleyes:

Oh, well if it is printed on the disc.

*looks at old eagle I have*

Ultra long range driver? Holy crap! I didn't know eagles were ultra long range drivers. I thought they were fairway drivers due to how they fly and not what is on the disc or what the manufacturer said. Well I better stop paying attention to how discs fly and only listen to what manufacturers say about their discs.

*checks discraft's site*

Did you know the nuke is the best warp speed driver out there hands down?

*checks innova's website*

Actually, did you know the katana is the best warp speed driver out there hands down?

I just checked Innova's website and they claim the Hydra is not worthless, I also checked Discraft's website and they claim the Spectra isn't worthless. I think they might lie about their discs sometimes. Don't tell anyone.

Ah, so you're now saying manufacturer's don't really know what their discs do?

Attachments

• CrsytalChallenger.jpg
    CrsytalChallenger.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
You are so close to getting what I am saying but you are just not quite there. You can post all the pics you want but a challenger is a stable not overstable putter. I threw them for quite a while and got sick of how quickly they beat in to flippy compared to other stable putters. I switched to bangers for a while and then to wizards which are nice and stable, not overstable, and stay that way for a while.

Did you know whatever disc Gateway is coming out with next is going to best the best, easiest to throw, farthest flying disc out there yet?

Latest posts