• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Better Get Mako

zj1002 said:
disc junkie said:
I was tossing a 177-180 for when I wanted to throw a lil harder but my favorite and preference is my 173 (much more workable and I would say closer to the comet), funny how much the 4-7 grams makes.

just like my roc's. I prefer them heavy, but I do usually have a 170-172 ranch in the bag for more of a straight distance shot, I get like 20 more ft. I still want to try the Mako out, probably should just test one out at DiscNation on friday. I want something that isn't quite as fast as the champ panther(old flat ones) but I can work the same.

Ask eli or booter they have seen me park some nice shots with the mako. Its a great mid, its not a workhorse mid like the Roc but its a wonderful complimentary mid to the roc. Highly recommened mold.

jubuttib said:
Frank Delicious said:
A beat comet is straight under any circumstances (whatever that means) if you throw it right.

Ever thrown an Aerobie ring? Never fade, never turn, wind does bounce it up and down and crosswinds make it slide sideways (obviously, the air is moving sideways), but it'll always hold it's angle from start to finish, no matter what angle you put it on (including totally flat). Doesn't matter if you throw it 30 feet or 500 feet (great games of catch) it'll always behave the same way. Basically the epitome of stableness, won't turn over when you rip it, won't fade at any speed (or lack thereof).

I'm not looking for distance, but I do like the idea of a disc that'll handle power without any turn and still not fade at the end of it's flight. I'm going to try the Aerobie Arrow putter at some point, some say it behaves like a really slow ring. It's just impossible to find a video of it in flight.

The Aerobie Arrow is the Groove of putters. As for a disc that does what describe the comet is the closest thing but really that disc doesn't exist. A disc that preforms perfectly at all speed ranges and in any wind is like the holy grail of discs.

jubuttib said:
won't fade at any speed (or lack thereof)

Wait...have you thrown an Aerobie ring? That's not how it flies, at all. You get a ton of power into it, and it turns into meathook overstable. Some of Discraft's team and I were fooling around with one at a course one time, and we were marvelling at how this odd little disc can fly like a predator for these pros, but can somehow be thrown across the grand canyon...

The sidearms and thumbers were priceless.

disc junkie said:
zj1002 said:
disc junkie said:
I was tossing a 177-180 for when I wanted to throw a lil harder but my favorite and preference is my 173 (much more workable and I would say closer to the comet), funny how much the 4-7 grams makes.

just like my roc's. I prefer them heavy, but I do usually have a 170-172 ranch in the bag for more of a straight distance shot, I get like 20 more ft. I still want to try the Mako out, probably should just test one out at DiscNation on friday. I want something that isn't quite as fast as the champ panther(old flat ones) but I can work the same.

Ask eli or booter they have seen me park some nice shots with the mako. Its a great mid, its not a workhorse mid like the Roc but its a wonderful complimentary mid to the roc. Highly recommened mold.

yeah there were a couple holes out at Manor where I wished I had a panther or comet. i put the panther back in the bag for now, but i am going to try to trade in some discs on friday and pick up a mako if i like it. i played Ridge on sunday and a mako type would have been nice for hole 5.

SkaBob said:
In terms of a go straight, period kind of disc...The Z Storm is the closest thing I've ever thrown to something you can do that with, without needing to focus on your form like you do with a Comet. Throw it flat, it laserbeams. Throw it on a hyzer, it holds the same angle all the way to the ground. Throw it on an anhyzer, it does the same thing.

LOTS of HSS, surprisingly...I was used to throwing MRVs when I last threw a Storm and I had a difficult time turning a Z Storm.

Also, horribly hard to find and OOP.

I had a D Hawk fly super straight like that once...too fragile for my tastes, and too hard to find the flat ones (the domey ones suck. period.).

The Comet is the best bet for a disc that does that in current production, but most people lack the desire or patience to learn to throw a Comet well on command.
Care to refresh my memory on X storms? I still have one laying around that I haven't thrown in several years.

SkaBob said:
Wait...have you thrown an Aerobie ring? That's not how it flies, at all. You get a ton of power into it, and it turns into meathook overstable. Some of Discraft's team and I were fooling around with one at a course one time, and we were marvelling at how this odd little disc can fly like a predator for these pros, but can somehow be thrown across the grand canyon...

I noticed that with the Sprint Ring, that thing meathooks if you throw it harder than a 100 foot approach shot or thereabouts. Funny how it gets more stable the harder you throw. Never seen it happen with a Pro Ring, even in the hands of some pretty big armed disc golfers. My (wimpy armed) longest throw was something like 250m and was dead straight, apparently that's not enough power to make the Pro meathook. Though I've not seen it I do believe it's possible, since the Sprint does that. So let me rephrase: A disc that has a HUGE, though not infinite, speed range where it flies completely stable and straight from start to finish.

And yeah, I've owned them for years, and currently have three. The oldest one is all dried out and the rubber is hard, that one is the most overstable thing I've ever thrown. They're usually tuneable to fly straight, but it's too late for that one. Great fun though.

Frank Delicious said:
The Aerobie Arrow is the Groove of putters. As for a disc that does what describe the comet is the closest thing but really that disc doesn't exist. A disc that preforms perfectly at all speed ranges and in any wind is like the holy grail of discs.

Yeah, didn't really believe it would, otherwise I probably would've heard about it. You thrown the Arrow? It's damn hard to find a proper description of it from anyone who knows what they're talking about. The closest I got was one that said that he didn't like it, but at least it didn't have pretty much any fade and it'd take a hurricane to throw it off course. Could you elaborate?

And back to the topic: I've been interested in the Mako for some time, heard good things about it. Hope I get a chance to try it out. Not going to buy it without testing, I have way too many discs as it is.

riverboy said:
The arrow I had briefly flew like a small manhole cover. Man those things are weird. :?

I take that as "straight and short", since that's what I imagine a small manhole cover would fly like. Or rather not fly at all. =)

jubuttib said:
riverboy said:
The arrow I had briefly flew like a small manhole cover. Man those things are weird. :?

I take that as "straight and short", since that's what I imagine a small manhole cover would fly like. Or rather not fly at all. =)
Yeah straight and short. And they felt so strange.

SkaBob said:
jubuttib said:
won't fade at any speed (or lack thereof)

You were throwing thumbers with this thing?

230227568.jpg

riverboy said:
Yeah straight and short. And they felt so strange.
For a while I tried putting forehand. The Arrow was perfect for that, because it has the shallowest rim of any golf disc. I don't remember its flight characteristics though.

riverboy said:
Care to refresh my memory on X storms? I still have one laying around that I haven't thrown in several years.

Flippier, but not by a ton. I prefered the Z ones for super laser straightness.

I keep a Mako in my bag, but for a different reason. I actually use it as my main putter right now, since I can hit a putt from farther out than with the Dart I had been using. I like that it flies straight at putting speeds. But it does point out when my form is off.

The mako has been a great replacement for my beat up rocs in the winter but it is unlikely that it will remain in the bag once spring comes around.

When people say the Mako is "straight" what do they mean? Is it straight like a putter or straight like a Buzzz? When I throw a putter or Comet straight, it usually moves up and down quite a bit, but there's no horizontal movement. When I throw a Buzzz straight it's lower and more like a laser beam: no horizontal or vertcal movement.

Put differently, is the Mako good for low ceiling shots?

I really want to try one but I have so much love for the Buzzz, I wonder if there's any point.

Fizzy said:
When people say the Mako is "straight" what do they mean? Is it straight like a putter or straight like a Buzzz? When I throw a putter or Comet straight, it usually moves up and down quite a bit, but there's no horizontal movement. When I throw a Buzzz straight it's lower and more like a laser beam: no horizontal or vertcal movement.

Put differently, is the Mako good for low ceiling shots?

I really want to try one but I have so much love for the Buzzz, I wonder if there's any point.
You mean you don't want to talk about the Arobie? 8)

Yes the Mako is similar to the Buzz. No hop unless it is real windy; it will turn into a headwind although.
Yes it is a great woods disc and it can fly a low path. For me it has zero fade and just lands. I do get some fade with the buzz however.

I have been meaning to put the Buzz and Mako through a side by side comparison but just from initial use they are pretty close. If you lover the Buzz you probably don't need a Mako.

The only Buzzz I carry is a heavy Z Buzzz, and it flies straight, then fades left at the end. I also carry the Mako, because it flies straight and has no fade at all. Great when you would rather have drop in or almost drop in putts, rather than 20-30 footers because the Buzzz faded at the end. 8)

There's some overlap, but so what? I'd give the Mako a try.