• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Big-bead Magnet

waffles

Bogey Member
You guys seem to be in the know, do you think Discraft would put a big bead on a Magnet? I have found that my putting confidence is greatest with a Magnet. However, after playing this Saturday in very windy conditions and my scores came back like it was a year-and-a-half ago. Mostly due to sailing, windblown putts.

What do you think?

I doubt that discraft would put a bead on a magnet. There not enough demand for it because of the challenger. Putter stabilty really doen't make a huge difference in the wind when it comes down to actuall putting (not throwing). The weight and depth of the rim make more of a difference. If you want a better windy putter a rhyno might be a little better or possibly a wizard/challenger. But as you stated in your post, you have confidence with the magnet, so id stick with em and just learn how they rise/drop in the wind. Also, if your putter isn't max weight id reccomend getting one as heavy as possible for the wind.

you ask me, an overstable putter is bad for wind, if it's 20' or in, then stability has no effect, if it's outside of 30', then the disc has a chance to hyzer and if the wind catches it, good-bye. The iffy distance is 20'-30', some folks slam it from there and some pitch from there. A pitch putt could still catch the wind, but a spin putt wouldn't be affected by the stability at that distance.

I agree with above - stick with the magnet and just use a heavier weight for really windy days. The best advise though is to just putt as much as you can in the wind so you know what to expect - then you can just use your normal putter any time and not be in the dark when the wind comes up.

Sorry, just brainstorming (wishing) while typing. Hmm, maybe if a manufacturer retooled a popular disc, then I wouldn't expose my putter's flight plate to wind. I guess I could always putt with a Raging Inferno. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

or get one of these for wind http://cgi.ebay.com/Discraft-CE-ESP-Magnet-Disc-Golf-170G-Dynamic-Discs_W0QQitemZ370138807912QQcmdZViewItemQQptZDisc_Golf?hash=item370138807912&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14

I don't seem to recall Chris Hysell having any problems in the wind with his soft magnets. He's been lethal for years from 100' and in... just crazy good. While it may not work for everybody, I am a believer of the old "indian not the arrow" quote.

black udder said:
I don't seem to recall Chris Hysell having any problems in the wind with his soft magnets. He's been lethal for years from 100' and in... just crazy good. While it may not work for everybody, I am a believer of the old "indian not the arrow" quote.
I could throw a whitler in the wind and do OK but that doesnt mean its a good disc for it

Maybe I'll just get better at putting. Or laying up and taking the 4 instead of the 5. Good thing the soft magnet is good at that.

Jesse B 707 said:
black udder said:
I could throw a whitler in the wind and do OK but that doesnt mean its a good disc for it

Just saying that sometimes discs make things easier and sometimes all it takes is practice. A nice heavy soft magnet isn't worthless in the wind and in the right hands, it's just as good. It's more about knowing how to putt in the wind than it is having putter X or Y. And I'm not talking about doing "OK", I'm talking about a guy who (when he played more) was lights out one of the best putters in the world. If you look on the early MSDGC dvds, he's in a couple scenes - typically, good putts.

I putt with the APX, which is less stable than the Magnet, and I never find myself wanting for anything more stable unless there's 50mph of wind out there...it's all about how you throw it.