• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Birdied the hole with the roll!

Don Juan

Does anyone know how the wind will affect a disc while it is rolling? :\ Should overstable discs be thrown in headwinds if you're trying to get the discs to roll, will it make the disc roll faster? Would it be better to throw understable discs in headwinds to make sure the disc turns over and hits the ground right? What about tailwinds? I can't throw 400ft myself, but I birdie-d a 400ft hole with a roll and it was awesome! :D Now i'm curious about the roll and want to know what everyone thinks about how to beast a roll throw.

I wouldn't even try a try a roller with a lot of wind. If you get the slightest crosswind, you'll be going the wrong way.. It's hard enough to predict the ground conditions for a roll let alone adding wind with that... Wind=No roll for me.

Loves me a good roller! I'm surprised people on here haven't started calling me the 'roller dude' becuz of how many hole-of-the-days I say roller shot, lol. To answer your question, wind certainly plays a factor with rollers. Generally, I find that tailwinds are more favorable than headwinds. I should say that I throw mostly 'tomahawk' (not sure it's the right term for it) rollers, which I use a forehand grip with and look like this / . For headwinds, it's probably better to throw an air shot that turns into a roller. This is a more traditional roller shot. But most of the time with a stiff headwind, I'll just go with an air shot. What kind of rollers are you throwing?

I throw RHBH shots and rollers as well. The roll was amazing for me because I didn't dislocate my arm trying to throw a monster shot. I rolled two discs 400'. The Wraith parked next to the basket and a Destroyer I rolled stopped 50' to the left of the basket. It was literally the first time I tried to roll a disc in a game, but I will use it from now on for sure. What type of discs do you throw for rollers?? How far do they go?

I was playing hole 17 at Lake Lewisville, BTW. The ground slopes a bit to the left, 413 ft long.

Last edited:
I throw RHBH shots and rollers as well. The roll was amazing for me because I didn't dislocate my arm trying to throw a monster shot. I rolled two discs 400'. The Wraith parked next to the basket and a Destroyer I rolled stopped 50' to the left of the basket. It was literally the first time I tried to roll a disc in a game, but I will use it from now on for sure. What type of discs do you throw for rollers?? How far do they go?

I was playing hole 17 at Lake Lewisville, BTW. The ground slopes a bit to the left, 413 ft long.

Actually the backhand roller is probably the hardest one to throw, but it has the most distance potential. A lot of players just don't have enough snap to throw one, myself included. So if u can really get it down, u will really have an advantage over other players on certain holes. I use the roller mostly on approaches and I'm pretty accurate up to 300' or so. I will use it off the tee also sometimes if the hole calls for it. I'm using mostly stable discs, including mids and putters on shorter shots. For backhand rollers (and forehand too), slightly understable discs are probably best. So yeah, keep rolling! Great shot to have in the bag!

I threw a BH roller this weekend with a zephyr that went in the 320-350' range. It was interesting because I just wanted to show the group of players a different shot that they haven't seen because it was their first time playing. It ended up being a great shot.

I'm pretty good with both forehand and backhand rollers. You need both to utilize the wind. I often make it appear so easy that others try it unsuccessfully and become discouraged and won't try to learn them.

Latest posts