• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Blizzard Technology

2l3zih.png

I'm not.....just stating that these discs are intended for a specific group of players.....those that NEED more distance to compete.

Because, apparently everyone should throw max weight plastic and be throwing 450+ and have 13 years disc golf experience.

Also, just noticed that Scooter posted in this thread 5 times in the past few hours. My question is.. In a thread that's been going on for as long as this one is... why does someone that apparently has their game together, doesn't need help with distance, and is way too good to need lightweight plastic... find the need to go into a thread he cares nothing about and say things that basically everyone already knows. That bored? Or that lonely?

Now, on topic.

I've had a 137 boss in my bag since day 1 just to give me complete confidence on a over-the-water shot on our course so I don't have to worry about losing a disc(plus, I can rip it pretty far). The other Blizz's were out of my bag entirely because I've been discing down, and didn't feel the need for them. I've been having bad distance lately, which I assume is just my comfort level with drivers going down after I've been throwing mids/fairways for the past few month. So I decided to give my Blizz Katana another shot, and I forgot how easy it was to throw. Allows me to focus on hitting my line instead of putting power in the throw and hitting the line, and although it's not perfect, it does give me easy distance without throwing my line off.

Because, apparently everyone should throw max weight plastic and be throwing 450+ and have 13 years disc golf experience.

Also, just noticed that Scooter posted in this thread 5 times in the past few hours. My question is.. In a thread that's been going on for as long as this one is... why does someone that apparently has their game together, doesn't need help with distance, and is way too good to need lightweight plastic... find the need to go into a thread he cares nothing about and say things that basically everyone already knows. That bored? Or that lonely?

Now, on topic.

I've had a 137 boss in my bag since day 1 just to give me complete confidence on a over-the-water shot on our course so I don't have to worry about losing a disc(plus, I can rip it pretty far). The other Blizz's were out of my bag entirely because I've been discing down, and didn't feel the need for them. I've been having bad distance lately, which I assume is just my comfort level with drivers going down after I've been throwing mids/fairways for the past few month. So I decided to give my Blizz Katana another shot, and I forgot how easy it was to throw. Allows me to focus on hitting my line instead of putting power in the throw and hitting the line, and although it's not perfect, it does give me easy distance without throwing my line off.

That bored.......and plus this same gimmick has been going on forever...."The Wraith These go to 11"...:D

Next thing you know everyone switched to the Wraith and wondered why they threw bad shots into the headwind....when they could have been more successful sticking to a Teebird.

Like I said these are basically 600cc BG drivers that act to level the playing field. They IMO take away from the game.

Basically they are nearly pointless for certain players.......who already throw consistently far unless they suddenly feel the urge to try and birdie the 600ft wide open hole........which some of these guys can do with the Max weight discs.

Hard to justify when the average hole is like 300ft.

this is a valid point, i havent decided if the blizzard is worth it or not for me. there is a newer player who is already reaching 550 and beyond (no joke) with blizzard bosses, pretty good form and power. i find that if i throw them as hard as possible still with good form i can get a bit of extra distance over my heavy stuff. is using blizzards taking the easy way out instead of learning distance with heavy drivers? im not sure

this is a valid point, i havent decided if the blizzard is worth it or not for me. there is a newer player who is already reaching 550 and beyond (no joke) with blizzard bosses, pretty good form and power. i find that if i throw them as hard as possible still with good form i can get a bit of extra distance over my heavy stuff. is using blizzards taking the easy way out instead of learning distance with heavy drivers? im not sure

Not really....they just allow you to throw 400ft when you may not really have 400ft power.

IMO they don't teach bad form or anything but are kind of an easy way out.

Okay cool. Deep into the conversation somebody answered my question.. I don't throw that far but my blizzard disc and my friends were extremely flippy. Just didn't like them, that's cool that some still use it though.

Not really....they just allow you to throw 400ft when you may not really have 400ft power.

IMO they don't teach bad form or anything but are kind of an easy way out.

Right because you do need decent form to get them up to 500' i would say. Would it be better to work on getting teebirds out to 400' instead? I can throw a teebird about 380' max, TL maybe a little further but its tough

Right because you do need decent form to get them up to 500' i would say. Would it be better to work on getting teebirds out to 400' instead? I can throw a teebird about 380' max, TL maybe a little further but its tough

Truthfully I would work at extending your range with a putter. Once you can do this well the drivers fly so much nicer.

Working on the Teebird is also a good decision.

Truthfully I would work at extending your range with a putter. Once you can do this well the drivers fly so much nicer.

Working on the Teebird is also a good decision.

yep i have been doing this as much as possible and try to play practice rounds with only putters, i can throw them just over 300'. i do find when i go back to drivers things are a lot smoother but would definitely like some more max distance. guess ill keep working the putter drives, although i dont see many other players doing this, but maybe they are

yep i have been doing this as much as possible and try to play practice rounds with only putters, i can throw them just over 300'. i do find when i go back to drivers things are a lot smoother but would definitely like some more max distance. guess ill keep working the putter drives, although i dont see many other players doing this, but maybe they are

Old DGR trick. :thmbup:

I would add that Yetis sunken plate makes them not have outstanding glide. You might consider a regular KC Pro, Wizard, Challenger, Magnet, or PnA Aviar. I think you'll find that your putter drives will fly farther for you if you switch from the Yetis. They are nice putting putters, but I wouldn't throw them personally.

I practice / experiment with a bunch of discs. Katanas aren't in my bag, but my 158gm blizzard Kat can easily outdistance my 166gm champ Kat. Not that much difference in weight. The blizzard has more dome. Big difference in flight from "guy in his 50's" are speed. Blizzard Kat could be in the bag, but my 166 and 168 Bolts fly a lot faster / farther.

Heavy (158 or 159) blizzard Katana is an awesome disc. One of Innova's best molds for the old and feeble.

I have really been liking my blizzard bosses. I have a 155 in the bag that is just easy distance. I really enjoy being able to get my usual golf D with much less effort. example hole is a 380' spike hyzer over cedar trees that is just way easier when I can throw a blizz boss 70% instead of having to rip something heavy. they also go dumb far with a nice tailwind.

Latest posts