• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Blobfish's Smarter-Not-Harder Bag 2021

Blobfish

Double Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
I have paid lip service to discing down in the past. I've heeded logic from time to time. And I've foolishly tried repeatedly to hit distances I'm never going to control. I've stumbled across and jumped headfirst into some crazy ideas and discs like EPICyclic ones and rubbery fairway drivers, and sometimes though you're so intent on forging your own path, you circle back to the same advice that was given on day 1 and eat the humble pie.

This happened to me with a new disc recently and I reference that in this thread because nobody recommended THAT PARTICULAR DISC per se, but the similarity to the comet was so uncanny, that it re-centered me. I don't need all these specialty discs to be good or to be happy.

And so I made changes for 2021 that I think will let me hone and develop the skills I have instead of focus on holes and gaps that really only exist in hypothetical nonsense.

Distance Drivers: Marie Kondo and I had our biggest disagreement here. She wanted me to thank my Merlin for its service and I refused. The DISCussion went as follows:
MK: You aren't strong enough to throw distance drivers
Me: But my biggest distances come with the crank and the merlin!
MK: Ok, so choose one, thank it for its service to you and keep the other, even though you shouldn't ever throw it.
Me: I only use them off the tee.
MK: That beat merlin is like a fresh z crank. Why don't you just keep one mold? You have other cranks you know.
Me: I love my merlin. I get my absolute biggest non-tailwind throws with it.
MK: sigh

Stable Driver: Daredevil Merlin
Understable Driver: Discraft ESP Crank

I am no longer bagging an overstable distance driver.​

Fairway Drivers: Easier to whittle down here. I really loved the relay, but there's too much overlap for now.
Stable Fairway Driver: Daredevil Timberwolf
Understable Fairway Driver: MVP Neutron Signal
Overstable Fairway Driver: lightweight (154g) MVP Neutron Tesla
Very Overstable Fairway Driver: lightweight (153g) MVP Neutron Motion

Mids and Approach: Here is where everything took an interesting turn this year. I have eschewed OS mids in the past, but I use the pyro more like an approach disc like a zone, and I got an ace with one so now I kind of feel obligated to continue to bag it. Seriously though, I needed an OS approach disc with more glide than my zflx ringer GT which I'll get to later.

Stable Midrange: Z-Buzzz (one pink and one red), ZFLX Buzzz (yellow)
Tunnel Laser: GStar Mako
Understable Midange: Daredevil Caribou

Overstable Midrange: Axiom Pyro

Putters: I can and will putt with any of these and they each get used frequently.

Workhorse putter: Jawbreaker Ringer GT
Windy day workhorse putter and hyzer approaches: ZFLX Ringer GT
C2 and where I need more glide putter: lightweight Soft-X Ringer
Obscene FH flex shots and spike hyzer approaches: Ogopogo (yeah, it's a fairway, not a putter)

Marie Kondo and I have lots of disagreements too. That's why I have my core 6 and utility 5 lol. I did manage to talk myself into discing down a small but this season though. Hope it works out for both of us!

Latest posts