• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

BlowFly Questions

My buddy keeps one of these in the bag just to play catch with while waiting at holes. Also having a max D comp with the bf 2 is great fun :)

people have aced with a groove... anyone ever ace with a blowfly?

Yes! I have. Crooked Creek Park hole #7, 178' it's an island hole. Was a club tournament which won me $70
Also, my best friend and doubles partner of "Team Blowfly" had 2 back-to-back-aces with one. Holes #16 and #17 at the "old" Owens field layout. Both are Tunnel shots, about 170-190 ft. I believe so far he has 4 or 5 aces with his.

Since I have about 7 yrs. experience with them, here are a few odds & ends. The Blowfly II is more like an Innova Dart, just much more floppy. Also, the weight is an issue. The II is almost always a lighter weight, I believe it's 170g and under. The blowfly weight goes up to 172g. The Gumputt is a heavier blowfly, I've seen up to 178g. The gumbputt/blowfly has the same material in the molding, just different color. All will float in water. The microfiber towels will not dry them off when wet, but the Chamois <sp?> will do a great job on them.
Like any other putter, it's a personal preference as to what feels good in YOUR hands, and your type of putting style as to whether or not this disc is right for you. I grew up as a kid throwing frisbees on the beach. I threw backhand and learned to put a lot of spin on, therefore when I picked up the sport, my natural thought was to get a lot of spin on when throwing. My technique for putting is the spin/laser putt, and for me, the Blowfly works perfectly. For a few years, I was using the Omega SS, and I did <and still do> really like this disc. However, there were some advantages to the blowfly <to me> so I started using this. The grip took a bit of time for me to get used to, mostly due to the rim on the blowfly vs. any other putter.
The blowfly does NOT play well in the wind, it has a LOT of glide, and has a very "domey" top, and the material makes it get blown around in a really gusty wind.
Just a few notes...I have both a gumbputt and blowfly in my bag at all times, I use the gumbputt as my approach disc, it's slightly heavier, so it gets effected by wind a little less, and has slightly more hyzer when it finishes, also for me, the color is different so I don't get my approach/putt mixed up.

I have one of these and the major benefit is baskets that have a huge roll away risk I would normally lay up instead of going for the bird. This has allowed me to take a free shot at these longer/ riskier birdies. Very rarely is thrown, but it's there when I need it and nailed two jump putts at my last tourney that I would not have attempted otherwise.

I can recently attest that they can roll away during the winter when the ground is hard and the disc is hard from being in the trunk. If it hits anything it will fall over so it won't roll far, but it will roll.

Yes, one of those discs that may only get one shot every couple of rounds, but is worth its weight in gold when you need it.

Been using a Gumbputt for 9 years, but finally decided this past summer that it wasn't working on short putts and got an R-P Rhyno and R-P Dart. I have kept the Gumbputt in bag for cold days[ricochets less than rigid discs], longish and/or hi-arc hyzers where I want the disc to STOP if it misses the basket, or drop-offs/water behind the basket. And for playing catch while we wait to start our round.
As far as it being called the "Blows-by" in TX---it's OK, I blow by TX, so we're even.

They're great for throwing around while in the pool or at the beach because they float.

I went out and did some practice throws with my new BlowFly, and I think the only major advantage I was able to find is that if you hit the basket or the halo, the disc just flops and within an arms reach of the chains. Thus keeping your disc from rolling away for a possible long miss.

I bought one of these with exactly this thought in mind. It didn't seem to be true for me though, because it was so flexible it would seem to spring up and catch an edge and roll on occasion. Since on average it didn't seem to stay any closer than my Aviar and I didn't like the feel as much I retired mine. It'll fly pretty straight at low speeds, doesn't take too much oomph to flip it over though.

Latest posts