• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

BOP! Saturday 11/10/12

A lot of hype for sure, I'm pretty sure no course on DGCR has more hype at the moment. Can't wait, if it all goes to plan BOP will be my 259 course in Cali. That's a long list of courses to go through before you get to play the most hyped course in the state.

Well, then you should be the best person to tell us if it lives up to the hype right? Well, I'm not 100% responsible for the hype that BOP has going on right now. Martin D listing it as his #1 out of more than 1000 defiantly put it on a few more peoples wishlists. I guess I was just lucky, I played this course as my 25th course, back in one of it's early incarnations. I reviewed it then and had only given it a 4.5, but as the course evolved, new holes were made, and baskets replaced tone poles, I decided it was worthy of a 5. I guess we will see after Saturday if others feel the same.

Word. Its a funny thing this rating system. There are some subjective aspects to it. Dirt tees/concrete tees. Signage/no signage. Benches and all the little things. Overall experience etc.

Word. Its a funny thing this rating system. There are some subjective aspects to it. Dirt tees/concrete tees. Signage/no signage. Benches and all the little things. Overall experience etc.

I personaly rate on course design / flow, fun factor, beauty, ease of navigation (on public courses), and overall experience. I don't care if courses have tee pads that aren't concrete, so long as I can throw from them. The little things like bathrooms and benches are nice touches to have on a course, but not neccesary.

Benches, bathrooms, water fountains and things like that aren't even on my radar when I rate a course. Tees need to be level enough that people aren't going to break ankles, but natural tees are just fine with me. Signage is nice if you're going to play the course the first time without a guide, since that doesn't happen at BOP it's not nearly as big a deal (I also didn't rate down for it on a couple other private courses where you have to play with the course owner, it's more of an issue on public courses to me). All that to say that the scenery and shots that the pics show at BOP look like they have the potential for a 5 disc course in my book. :thmbup:

A lot of hype for sure, I'm pretty sure no course on DGCR has more hype at the moment. Can't wait, if it all goes to plan BOP will be my 259 course in Cali. That's a long list of courses to go through before you get to play the most hyped course in the state.

Lion, every time I see some obscure California course in the DGCR database which only one person has marked as played, that person is always you. Your thoroughness is impressive.

Lion, every time I see some obscure California course in the DGCR database which only one person has marked as played, that person is always you. Your thoroughness is impressive.

I was that guy for most of Northern California until lion decided to start invading my turf.:p

Funny!

I personaly rate on course design / flow, fun factor, beauty, ease of navigation (on public courses), and overall experience. I don't care if courses have tee pads that aren't concrete, so long as I can throw from them. The little things like bathrooms and benches are nice touches to have on a course, but not neccesary.

This is the same talk I had with Biscoe about Hawk Hallow a few weeks ago. Sure, amenities are a nice bonus, but so far down the line of importance. Give most DGers a great course with scenery and views, and suddenly benches, bathrooms and stinking bag hooks become forgotten. I guess some people like ball golf amenities and motorized carts. To each his own, but give me those BOP pics anytime.

This is the same talk I had with Biscoe about Hawk Hallow a few weeks ago. Sure, amenities are a nice bonus, but so far down the line of importance. Give most DGers a great course with scenery and views, and suddenly benches, bathrooms and stinking bag hooks become forgotten. I guess some people like ball golf amenities and motorized carts. To each his own, but give me those BOP pics anytime.

It makes me happy to hear that people on the other side of the country have the same thoughts on what truly makes a great course. :D Not everyone will agree with us, but we can let them go play boring courses that need those things to distract you from how boring of a course it is. :p

Word. For me its overall experience I guess. I just find it interesting what some people look for in a course as far as reviews go. Can't remember who but one person had remarks about the T on the rock shot being the worst part of the course. To me that is all part of the experience of the hole. To each his/her own I guess. We shall see over time how the course holds up. Its always gonna be #1 in my book tho :) Enough on this rant tho....is it Saturday yet?

Yeah I probably added 30 courses in the state this year and have another 20 or so that i havent checked out yet. I hate to add a course unless I play it first and get all the info. Its funny my completion for the state says 92.9 percent right now and in Arizona it says 92.9 aswell. Odd I thought. I'm pretty sure I will never actually have 100 percent in Cali with an average of 10-15 new courses a year I cant keep up, but it will be cool if I can stay in the 90 percentile for awhile. I really need to check out other states.

Amenities (Trash cans, signage, tee pads, benches, bag hangers) meant very little to me when deciding my favorite courses, especially private guided courses such as BOP, if it's a public course and I cannot find my way around that's another story. The things that stand out are overall challenge, variety, scenery, awe factor, and the people I played with that contribute to the overall experience. I know as I revisit courses and have new experiences there my favorites list will continually evolve, but I have a feeling BOP will remain very near the top no matter what. I'm excited to hear some others opinions, have a great time out there this weekend, wish I could be there!

Some more inspiration for the weekend:

Hey, I thought you told me to quit hyping it up. :p

J.K. I love the photos. Every time I come out there I get more great photos... Except that time that I forgot the memory card for my camera.:doh:

I need to work on getting some good fall time photos out there.

536395_3018265777789_307372324_n.jpg

578226_3018416421555_208249053_n.jpg

532735_3018413221475_165229982_n.jpg