• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Boss,Destroyer,Wraith

OregonDG420

Birdie Member
So the boss, destroyer, and wraith all have the same flight numbers except for speed (13,12,11). in my limited experience, mostly throwing destroyers, they all fly a bit different than each other. What differences have you noticed?

The only star boss I've thrown was a meat hook. Destroyers are all over the place in stability, and the wraith is my personal favorite. The rim is comfortable, predictable and it bombs

All of them are all over the place in stability. I find wraiths easiest to control and that's why I use them.

I've thrown 2 Bosses (max weight Star & Champ) and they were both meathooks that I didn't find much use for. I keep a pair of Destroyers and a pair of Wraiths in my bag and they both have become very useful and dependable. For the most part I find the Destroyer to be 'overstable' and the Wraith to be 'stable' as far as distance drivers go. I use the Destroyer strictly for FH purposes &. The Wraith is my main BH disc for max distance. I will FH it if the wind is calm. The Wraith feels very comfortable in my hand for BH shots. Both the Destroyer and Wraith can handle the wind.

All of them are all over the place in stability.

This. Completely. They are made by Innova. If you throw Innova, get used to it. I have 2 Champ Bosses in my bag, and hate to have to find the "right" ones.

For the most part, in my experience, the new Champ Bosses that have the 0 turn instead of the -1 turn are actually more overstable than the older -1 Bosses. Go figure that one out. No, this isn't a blanket statement though.

I have thrown a wide variety of all 3 discs, and you can truly get each one of them in a form that you like, or completely opposite.

Wraith is as high speed as I can go - it's a pretty nice disc even for the weaker arms out there, either in Blizzard or beat in DX.

I have been throwing Innova for many years. I have gone through a lot of Wraiths & Destroyers and they all have been consistent in their flights respective to their plastics. Really, every Star Wraith I've ever owned flew the same and every Champion Destroyer has been the same. I'm sure others have noticed inconsistencies but I haven't noticed it myself.

I have been throwing Innova for many years. I have gone through a lot of Wraiths & Destroyers and they all have been consistent in their flights respective to their plastics. Really, every Star Wraith I've ever owned flew the same and every Champion Destroyer has been the same. I'm sure others have noticed inconsistencies but I haven't noticed it myself.
I throw star wraiths and started just last year. Already I've got my hands on three different ones: pre-flight# that are domey and have turn when new,
flat hard ones(ones I throw) that start OS but break into nice flyers with some turn,
and the new pop-tops that start OS but with more glide than flat ones(hard to contol distance).
So I don't know... I'm just glad I have flat backups.

Boss is definitely the most stable of the 3, and has a bigger fade than a destroyer.

The one interesting characteristic of a boss is that it skips really far. Great for dog leg left that has to be kept low, throw it straight and watch it skip left for 30 feet.

Boss is definitely the most stable of the 3, and has a bigger fade than a destroyer.

The one interesting characteristic of a boss is that it skips really far. Great for dog leg left that has to be kept low, throw it straight and watch it skip left for 30 feet.

yes! the boss skips like hell, there is one guy I play with and he throws a boss on this one hole, and it always skips like 30+ feet.

If you have the arm, Bosses are actually less stable than Destroyers once worn in. They tend to hold their turnover lines longer. Wraiths are the least stable of the bunch and Destroyers tend to be the most stable out of the three molds. However, with PLH differences and other variations, there's no telling what you'll get if you just pick one up off the shelf.

Finding the right disc is going to be the case for every single company out there, so that's not to say Innova is the ultimate offender of QC. Every manufacturer has variations in PLH and dome.

But back to the OP - the differences I mentioned are there if you have 400' of distance, and also break them in. Otherwise, Wraiths are a great place to start if you have 350' of power. Below that, stick with something slower.

I thought new bosses were -1 and old ones are 0 ...

Either way, the 3 discs are identical other than rim width/speed, in my opinion.

Latest posts