• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Bradley Williams suspension reduced

I don't think the comment was that big of a deal. I was merely disagreeing with the person pointing to his comment as a sign of his growth and maturity.

I wasn't there, but feel its the equivalent of saying "don't muck this up philo, and you win". Also, if the comment is made immediately after the shot is one thing, if Philo was already approaching the pad, its sumwhat of another.

It's simple. In the first video we have of Bradley after a year suspension and while on probation, he won a tournament while displaying bad sportsmanship and etiquette. This is why he has and deserves his bad reputation.

I think it's in extremely poor taste to say ANYTHING to an opponent directly before they are about to tee. In this instance, he wanted Philo's brain to think just for a second that it was already over. Anytime you get thinking about anything else when on the tee, other than just executing your shot, its probably going to end poorly.

Congrats to BW on the win, but I think its still a DB move.

I completely agree saying anything at all before your opponent tees is bad etiquette, in fact I already said that. My only point was that this could easily have been a gut reaction to his own mistake, rather than a deliberate attempt to get in Philo's head. Deciding the difference for him is presumptuous.

I completely agree saying anything at all before your opponent tees is bad etiquette, in fact I already said that. My only point was that this could easily have been a gut reaction to his own mistake, rather than a deliberate attempt to get in Philo's head. Deciding the difference for him is presumptuous.

My thoughts exactly

Being a noob to the sport, I didn't know what Philo or BW looked like.

After watching several of the first holes played I skipped to the final few and the playoff because I honestly thought that Philo was this BW "character" because he was bitching and moaning after a lot of his shots.

There was one where he drove into a tree and started bitching and moaning, went and sat down behind the box, and continued to mutter and shake his head and gesticulate.

The next guy finally got on the box and made a nice drive. I think that guy was BW but I actually thought he was Philo because he was obviously unaffected by what had happened prior.

To my eyes and ears Philo was the one exhibiting unsportsmanlike behavior in the round and BW was at least acting professionally.

At least for that part of the round that I watched.

I think we're close to the same page.

Do you think someone that was suspended 3 times and currently on 24 month probation for poor behavior towards his opponents deserves the benefit of the doubt? I guess that's why I don't give him any benefit here. I just tuned in for the playoff and was shocked he made the comment in his first tournament back.

Being a noob to the sport, I didn't know what Philo or BW looked like.

After watching several of the first holes played I skipped to the final few and the playoff because I honestly thought that Philo was this BW "character" because he was bitching and moaning after a lot of his shots.

There was one where he drove into a tree and started bitching and moaning, went and sat down behind the box, and continued to mutter and shake his head and gesticulate.

The next guy finally got on the box and made a nice drive. I think that guy was BW but I actually thought he was Philo because he was obviously unaffected by what had happened prior.

To my eyes and ears Philo was the one exhibiting unsportsmanlike behavior in the round and BW was at least acting professionally.

At least for that part of the round that I watched.

Your observations concerning Philo are on the money...one of the biggest whiners on tour. As for the Bradley Williams comment, no big deal. Some people on here are just looking for a reason to hate on him.

Serious question, in what world do "genuine concessions" come before the tournament is over or decided?

What do you mean by genuine? Are you expecting, oh God, I just shanked it, but I'm so happy for your win Philo!

He was positively polite, but if you're looking for sincerity you're sort of pushing the bounds of credulity.

It's rather difficult to make a judgment of a situation without all available information. I have no idea how they were talking to each other during the round. No clue of their history with each other. Only Philo knows if the comment was out of line. I refuse to get outraged on behalf of someone who hasn't yet said he was outraged.

That's all I got.

I don't think BW meant it as a negative thing towards Philo.

Probably more directed towards himself considering he just threw a bad shot.

Like, welp, I just lost.

BW was still on the pad and walking off after throwing OB on the first playoff hole when he said, "It's all yours man". He didn't "game" Philo by saying something as Philo was about to throw as has been suggested here. It seems disingenuous to suggest that Philo is so weak-minded that this comment caused him to shank his drive, pooch his pitchout, misplace his approach, then miss his putt. BW explained in detail in the referenced pod cast that the way he won was not satisfying; that he didn't want to win that way and didn't want PB to lose that way. No matter what you think of BW he has certainly been the catalyst for an interesting discussion.

I think we're close to the same page.

Do you think someone that was suspended 3 times and currently on 24 month probation for poor behavior towards his opponents deserves the benefit of the doubt? I guess that's why I don't give him any benefit here. I just tuned in for the playoff and was shocked he made the comment in his first tournament back.

Like Hampstead said, having no context into the type of conversation/vibes the two players were engaging in during the final round makes calling this gamesmanship rather than an incidental etiquette lapse impossible. It's not really about whether he deserves the benefit of the doubt, which I don't think he does. We just don't have enough information to make the call.

yeah someone needs to let it go but i don't think it's the guy who only posted twice in this thread

Could you elaborate?

Bradley is known as the Texas Cactus to some, because he is a bit of a prick in some peoples eyes.

Myself, I think the dude is one hell of a golfer and one of the smoothest throwers out there. I've had the chance to actually talk with him, during a tournament round even, and the dude was super chill and very personable.

Latest posts