• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Breaking bad habits.. starting from the ground up

Jclaxdisver

I have been playing since the beginning of covid, about 2 years now. It did not take long to get past the 300 foot plateau. But for the past year and roughly 4-5 months I've been stuck at about 350 ft on full rips (thrown 375 a couple times when I really get a hold of one). I have a feeling this plateau has come because I use mostly upper body. I've tried to implement lower body improvements but it's just not clicking. Some advice as to how to break through this plateau would be extremely appreciated. I've put so many hours into field work, trying to implement the right things but it seems all this hard work has been pointless and is not improving any technique in my throw.

//https://youtu.be/9CwLH-7HJzU

I will definitely try this drill! In your opinion after viewing this video, what is the biggest thing I need to work/fix first?

1. Upper arm collapsed/hugging chest. Need to keep your elbow forward out away from chest so disc can swing in/out of center chest with hand on opposite side of disc.

2. Crouched x-step. Hinge from the hip/s, rather than bending the knee/s. Note how Eagle's legs are taller while upper body is tilted over.

3. Early reachback/backswing and forward swing. 1 and 2 should help with keeping the disc in place longer so peak of backswing happens as front foot plants.

So for number 2 how much should I bend my knees? Too much bent knees doesn't allow my hips to come through?

So for number 2 how much should I bend my knees? Too much bent knees doesn't allow my hips to come through?
In terms of movement pattern and muscle engagement it is a hip hinge vs squat. Bend your hips before your knees.

It's just like walking or running. The slower you are moving the less the knee/s will bend but you shouldn't have to think about it. If you are standing still and bend your knees first your quads will start burn and tire and have a hard time creating any movement translating through the hip/s and core from the ground/foot using plantar flexion/ankle extension. Think of your knees as your shock absorbers/springs. Tighter springs can potentially load and unload more force/acceleration. Too tight can't load/spring.