• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Started on Footwork

Jory_Dear

So I started playing summer of '22 and I have experience throwing frisbee growing up but am trying to get better at disc golf. I recently started to work on my form since I've been experiencing shoulder pain and have been trying to throw properly so I don't throw out my shoulder. I've started working on my footwork but noticed that they are too much inline and are somewhat inconsistent. I then spent a Field work session working on spreading out my feet a little and just focusing on that. I understand that my shoulders are dropping and causing me to throw up and I'm releasing at a weird angle to make it woble as well as not using my upper body properly. Currently I am working on my footwork and will eventually address these problems. Any tips or advice would be helpful for not just my footwork but even other things that I may not see. Apologizes for the last one being super dark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rshZ4IJNC-s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rshZ4IJNC-s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HWtHFwLFZc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3Triky6QKg

Last edited:
1. Your feet are in immoveable horsestance, so your rear foot is too backward and front foot too forward. I'd work on footwork and swing fundamentals more from a stand and deliver setup(pitcher/batter) than x-step which is adding moving parts.

2. You are hugging yourself/rounding. Need to keep your elbow up/out away from your chest, so you can bend your elbow and hug the disc into your chest. Keeping the elbow more forward will require that your turn the rest of your body further back into the plant.

Alright thanks. I've been working on putting for this past week and a half and my putting has drastically improved. I am now about 90-100% confident up to 15-20ft out. I use an exaggerated form of Hailey King where she stands straight toward the basket and squats down to put her arm between her legs for more arm swing, as well as a KJ granny/straddle putt for a little further out, around a obstacle, or more speed for high winds. If I can see this this much improvement in just putting over 5-6 days of half hour practice then I can't wait to begin heavily focusing on driving.

Progress but still not there

I have been working on my upper body form. At first I wanted to familiarize myself with the keeping my elbow flat and at 90 deg. and the power pocket and how it feels with my body as I am somewhat hypermobile in some areas and tight in others, especially my back from an injury. I found very early that I can't have a super exaggerated stance as I have the opposite problem in baseball of swinging left handed and hitting to far left field and needing to exaggerate my stance to hit center or right.

I start out doing the individual steps of standing in a staggered form, reaching out, pulling to my chest (power pocket), reaching back with a slight lean, then back to power pocket, the keeping elbow in place I release. I then began to speed up the process little by little and skipping steps like sticking my arm straight out, I just went straight to the power pocket but still tried to keep it slow. I have driven like this a few times and have had success with the throw and felt an heard an audible snap once it left my fingers. The only problem is I haven't practiced this enough to have developed the habit of performing these actions so I can do them when I perform my x-step like you see in the last video. I resort to rounding and just not feeling good.

Last edited:
Haven't engrained the form into habit

I have been really busy lately and haven't gotten a chance to practice my driving form because I worked on my putting form and am still trying to find the most comfortable for me and capitalizing on it. But I have been mostly standing still throwing just to work on my upper body form then I can move into the run up also what little work I've found with my driving is that every time I "chop" down on the disc it leaves my hand beautifully and flies how I intended it even though I didn't get the distance I wanted. I think this is in part of the timing of my form but mostly because I am throwing downward with a lot of nose up so that the disc gets an air bounce but still has enough power to properly fly, this is evident in the second video when I start up by my shoulder but I pull it downward and it has the air bounce effect.

The first video my planter foot slips just ever so slightly and I compensate by shifting my weight and this makes the disc fly bad but it felt really good leaving my hands with a snap and everything but it was released with a Heizer and flew only 260'.

You are tipping way ahead of yourself in the whole approach.

I'd be backing up to standstills and get your body moving more like this rather than forcing the postures and pocket. The only reason you're doing that with a disc is because it's so light.

Swing your entire arm and the disc with your whole body. Swinging a disc with the 10+lbs of your arm mass is a pretty efficient way to get it flying.

nnpTIqk.gif

The pocket is an effect, not a cause.

Latest posts