• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Brodie Smith PDGA #128378

Making the lead card for round 3, then staying on if for the final round! Well done Mr. Smith!:clap:

I know it's technically true, but it's a little funny to me to call tying for 3rd with 4 other players Brodie's "first top 3 finish"

Watched foundation's latest Debate Night on youtube and Brodie gave some really great insight into this weekend's event. Cell phones, OB, caddies etc...really good subjects when considering the growth of the sport. People definitely love to hate - maybe its his type A personality or his quick sponsorship, but I haven't seen one other piece of content online this year where a professional is dishing out this much knowledge, insight and thought into the professionalism of the sport. He's clearly taking it seriously and he's a pretty humble dude despite just trying to making a living and have a damn good time doing it. His knowledge of weekend sports, college sports and even professional sports gives him insight that many dudes just don't have. They aren't progressing the sport, nor will they. If professional frolfers want serious purses at these tournaments, and big contracts on salary, they need to be adding value somehow. To me, Brodie is doing that almost better than anyone.

One of the things I love about disc golf is that anyone can play. Dorks, nerds, professionals, hippies, young bucks, athletes, former athletes, dads, moms, kids, military etc... For me it's always fun to get to the course and realize that you can never judge a book by it's cover in disc golf. So for many to hate on Brodie because of this or that, seems to be hypocritical of what makes the game great to begin with.

Any Wysocki content three days after another win this weekend? Not that I know of. What is that/he doing for the sport? I could go on an on. I have decided after being on the foundation side of the fence for a while now, yet slightly skeptical of Brodie, that I am all for the dude. I hope he continues crushing with intent. The content that foundation puts out is solid and I wish those dudes success.

That's a fair question, but aren't most successful athletes confident? To some, the perception could be borderline cocky I guess. Go listen to the podcast man, its clearly a critical piece of content for him since he just finished his highest placing yet. I didnt hear anything that put me off. I also used "pretty" in my description, because I did admit I have been a bit skeptical of how things could turn out if he starts winning.

School me though...is there an example where you feel like he hasn't been humble?

Also, just for fun and to my point earlier - Wysock has a thread here that is 32 pages long (313 comments) vs Brodies thread with 376 pages (3751 comments). No one cares about Wysocki. No one is talking about Wysocki. Is he solid? Sure thing. Someone I get stoked to root on every weekend or have as a teamate? Dont know. The foundation guys got heckled last week for not giving Calvin enough love LOL. I mean, I like the guy and appreciate his game but no one is gonna love or be a super fan of Calvin. What would you talk about? If I were a business, I'd seriously also consider paying someone like Brodie early in hopes that he is someone who can finish well, work hard and grow the sport. To me, it looks like its working.

Disclaimer: I know next to nothing about Brodie other than seeing him on the recent Big Money Skins match.

I was kind of expecting a big personality and thought at minimum he'd be a good watch given that the GK Skins matches are kind of the perfect outlet for big personalities. I don't know if he's just really introverted (that's certainly not the impression I have from the general scuttlebutt around him) or just intimidated by who he was with or being on camera or what...but he came across very quiet, humble, and definitely not an alpha (since that was the description of him a few posts prior).

I don't know what EXACTLY I was expecting, but I expected to have an opinion of him after watching the skins match. I thought maybe I'll like him, or maybe I'll think he's the villain. Maybe this was an aberration, but I left watching it thinking "I don't understand why anyone either likes or dislikes this guy, he barely talked and when he did it was standard disc-golf smalltalk". Maybe I'd just gotten the wrong impression from the kind of general chatter that made me think he was going to be some outsized personality who would at least be entertaining even if his disc golf might not be top notch compared to some of the top pros.

Another fanboi.

Nothing wrong with Brodie, nor his take on the game, but there are plenty of voices with more experience, success and business acumen that need to be given weight, as well.

Another fanboi.

Nothing wrong with Brodie, nor his take on the game, but there are plenty of voices with more experience, success and business acumen that need to be given weight, as well.

Luckily it's not a zero sum game, and Brodie's contributions imo create more opportunity and platforms for those voices to express themselves. It's all heat, all pub is good pub.

I think Brodie started off "I'm going to rule and change disc golf. I'm a star Ultimate Frisbee player and my skills and experience will make me a star disc golfer." Then he actually started playing. Now, time has passed, he's (probably) seen lots of posts about and against him; he's learned. And like most people, he can and has changed.

I met Brodie not long after he started disc golf. He came across (at least to me) that he had a "I'm a celebrity" attitude; especially since he was hanging out and learning from Paul McBeth. I wanted to ask him how he thought he would do that day and he turned his back on me. Okay, he wasn't talking to anyone else, or doing anything that would keep him from responding, but no problem. However, Paul McBeth and Hanna McBeth both took time to talk to me. I would like to meet Brodie now....I'd bet he would respond differently.

He still thinks he can change disc golf...and I believe his intentions are good. But they are based on his playing Ultimate and they are two different sports.

For all the haters....

Bert taking the spotlight on foundation DG's Trevor Staub Show yesterday and referenced that playing with Brodie is what got him hooked up to get on the podcast. Just making the point that the dude is still doing a crap ton for the game. Just this week some great discussion on improving the game for tourney play on the Debate Night and then getting one of the biggest celebrities ever involved into the game on Trevor's podcast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOT24lYZo9U&t=608s

I don't think anyone will agree with even 80pct of all of Brodie's ramblings, but ya gotta give the guy credit. He is adding value to the game in a lot of ways that other pro's aren't. Hence...the contract and sponsorship. I can't hate the game.

For all the haters....

Bert taking the spotlight on foundation DG's Trevor Staub Show yesterday and referenced that playing with Brodie is what got him hooked up to get on the podcast. Just making the point that the dude is still doing a crap ton for the game. Just this week some great discussion on improving the game for tourney play on the Debate Night and then getting one of the biggest celebrities ever involved into the game on Trevor's podcast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOT24lYZo9U&t=608s

I don't think anyone will agree with even 80pct of all of Brodie's ramblings, but ya gotta give the guy credit. He is adding value to the game in a lot of ways that other pro's aren't. Hence...the contract and sponsorship. I can't hate the game.

I believe the 'hate' came about because the moment he started playing disc golf he had an attitude that he was one of the best, he would turn the sport on it's head and get all the things he didn't like changed. He didn't wait until he showed he was good, he acted like he was one of the best from the very start.

There are videos where Brodie is getting started by Paul McBeth....Paul sets him up with discs, etc. Brodie already has an attitude at that point. I think he thought that his Ultimate experience would carry over to disc golf.

Then look at Paul Ulibarri's Scratch-to-Scratch series. He takes an athletic person, who had played Ultimate (although not as 'famous' as Brodie) and teaches him disc golf. He is thrilled to be learning from Uli and doesn't act like he's (the student) is one of the best.

Two different attitudes from people learning from some of the best instructors/players. I think that is what turned people off to Brodie. If he had come into the sport, learned from Paul McBeth, taken a year to play tournaments and prove himself before trying to change the sport....people would have had a different attitude about him. I know that when I met him for the first time when he was just getting started...he was snobbish and rude.

He seems to have learned and chilled out a bit. Some of his ideas are good and do-able...others probably not so do-able. But it's nice to hear other ideas, and more likely to be accepted now that he has played for more than a year and has more of an idea what the sport is like (and that it isn't Ultimate).