• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Building Distance

This will maybe sound weird but to get most distance you need to have spin which gives speed and then you need a good line which gives the disc a surten turn, and then you also need to get a good disc with a surten stability that should work great to the line and then you need to work on the flow to get maximum spin which gives SPEEEEEEEEEEEED>>>>>>>>>>>>>.

//PRACTISE AND YOU WILL THROW FURTHER//

This is what i have put together so tell me if you understand what i mean

those that not know what spin does I will explain now.
In the end of the throw your wrist snaps and the disc gets spin which will make the disc to cut through the wind much faster so it will hold the speed much longer.
If the disc doesn`t get much spin, then it will cut through the air slower and slow down faster.

When going for distance you can increase your disc speed by lowering your disc closer to the ground(almost like a seesaw when it`s up and then falls down closer to the ground (gaining speed)and then up again).This will cause the disc to gain more speed.I do this almost all the time.

I'll quote myself from another thread. I was stuck around 280avg for the longest time, very frustrated with not ever throwing any farther. The biggest thing was that several of the holes at my home course were 30-40ft out of my range, so a great drive left me a longish putt which is not the strongest part of my game. This gave me a very limited selection of holes to get a birdie on, so when I go over par, it is difficult to ever catch back up.

Here's the post:
Alright, so I went back and revisited the Dan Beato video since that seems to be highly recommended. The next time I went to the course, I decided to just practice my drives (the Beato way) rather than to play.

I started at the front of the box, arm in position, rotated back, and threw the disc trying to really focus on keeping the disc close to my body and shifting the wait to the front foot. At first, I was all over the place, but after about 25-30 drives, I actually started getting a little control and a clean release. After practicing this for a while, I discovered that I could throw pretty much just as far standing at the front of the box as I could with my run-up.

Since then, I've started adding a slow, smooth run-up with the new form. Very awkward at first, but after a week or so, I'm starting to get a good feel for this with a run-up. I went to my home course today (Freeman Lake) and threw some of the best drives I've ever had.

Example:
Hole #6: 405ft slight downhill the entire way. A couple of big trees to clear early off the box, and then a 30ft tree gap to clear about 40ft short of the basket. Typically, a good drive for me here is just short of the tree gap, leaving me about a 50ft putt. Today, I threw my typically flex shot here through the tree gap in the air and the disc ended up only 10ft from the basket.

Another example: Hole #7, uphill, plays 310-320. I have played this hole hundreds of times in my 3yrs of disc golfing, and have never dueced this hole in this position. My best drives would occasionally leave me 30-35ft uphill, but never could make the putt. In the last week, I have put the disc UNDER the basket twice.

THIS IS THE KEY, THIS IS WHAT MADE THE DIFFERENCE FOR ME.
First, practicing like I stated in the above quote. Second, I used to start with my right arm fully extended, disc pointing toward the target, now I start with my arm bent by my right peck (very awkward at first). Now the disc (and my arm) has a lot less distance to travel to reach full extension, and this really helps a lot with the timing. Here is a quote from a PDGA professional that I know, he told me, "The only thing in disc golf that has to be fast, besides your mind, is your arm/hips when you are throwing far. Slow is so much easier to time, and timing is the key."

These things combined have added 30ft or so to my drives in just a couple weeks. This may not seem like a ton of extra distance, but it has really made a big difference to me, and gives me a since of hope that I can still throw even farther as I learn better technique.

The original quote was from the "Calling All Noodle Arms" thread.

Wow! This one was dug out!

MB- What is your driving distance now?

Still crappy, but I think it has to do with the way I throw. I have been watching others throw far, and they seem to lean into it more. Something that I don't do, but I need to practice.

Still crappy, but I think it has to do with the way I throw. I have been watching others throw far, and they seem to lean into it more. Something that I don't do, but I need to practice.

Sounds like they are going from low to high, in relation to their body since they are leaning into it. Sort of how Garublador explained it, and it helps nose angle.

I did that along with making sure I kept the wrist and disc straight in line with my arm. It makes you thing your are putting it at a hyzer angle for release but dont worry about it so much and the angle of your arm should start to control that.

What discs are you using Midnight? I found I lost a little distance at first, but going to a Leopard had really helped since it will forgive you a bit and you can see what its doing. Throwing a fast driver will only frustrate you more because things will get a little wild while you change form.

Here is a video of me throwing in a "closest to the pin" throw off back in August. I noticed the way I throw, is that I don't lean forward, I stay pretty much straight, and don't seem to be making a lot of power. You be the judge. I am at the 1:45 mark in the video in the white shirt and cowboy hat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGCOdsXeX6Q

Here is a video of me throwing in a "closest to the pin" throw off back in August. I noticed the way I throw, is that I don't lean forward, I stay pretty much straight, and don't seem to be making a lot of power. You be the judge. I am at the 1:45 mark in the video in the white shirt and cowboy hat

So how'd you end up finishing? And some other questions.

I can't tell about distance from the perspective of the camera. How far is the hole? Is the basket before or past the big tree? And guys like you who are taking the right side path... are you trying to turn the disc in front of the tree or behind it?

I'm amazed at the video quality in HD. Very nice.

And I'm really not qualified to critique anyones' form, but what you said makes sense. You do seem to be more upright when you throw. And since this isn't a full out throw, it's hard to tell how far you might reach back when going for maximum d.

Last edited:
YOu the guy in the hat then?

I also would like to know how far that is but, if that was you, like you didnt want to throw that far.

What disc was that you threw? It looked like it got a little flex and depending on what disc it is, might might be an indication of oat at that distance.

Again, this is if it is you, but also, you get more power if you come under your chest, low to high then pulling straight across your chest, but in order to do this you have to lean into it. In other words, put some emphasis on it like you want that thing to go far, and it should bring your body around with your arm following through.

You look like a bigger guy like me and I will tell you, guys like us, you dont get the rotation of the skinny guys but you should be able to make up for it by getting your weight into it.

So how'd you end up finishing? And some other questions.

I can't tell about distance from the perspective of the camera. How far is the hole? Is the basket before or past the big tree? And guys like you who are taking the right side path... are you trying to turn the disc in front of the tree or behind it?

I'm amazed at the video quality in HD. Very nice.

And I'm really not qualified to critique anyones' form, but what you said makes sense. You do seem to be more upright when you throw. And since this isn't a full out throw, it's hard to tell how far you might reach back when going for maximum d.

I was throwing a TL and it was very, very windy. You can here it in the video. That is why my disc shot right, and then finished left. The basket is just past the tree at the 230ft mark.

A few things stick out to me.

1. Your weight isnt' forward. You barely end up weight forward at the end your follow through. You weight should be over your plant foot at the hit, not at the end of the throw.

2. You aren't getting any shoulder rotation. You don't really get much past parallel to the target on your reach back, which robs you of any power you could be getting from your shoulders, hips or legs.

3. You're coming into the hit too fast and coming out of the hit way too slow. You don't need to accelerate until after the disc passes your right pec. Accelerating before will rob you of power.

So, how does a person gain distanace on their forehand shots??? i drive around 400' on a good day 340' average tho..

Windy as hell

I was throwing a TL and it was very, very windy. You can here it in the video. That is why my disc shot right, and then finished left. The basket is just past the tree at the 230ft mark.

Yeah the vid is great quality and I can see just how windy it was by dragging the button instead of just letting it play normally....the tree is moving big time to and fro. Maybe a more overstable disc than a TL woulda helped there.

btw - Love the hat!

I just re-watched it and comparing you to Doug (who steps up at about 2:43) I see that he seems to un-coil the motion from his x-step a bit more and has a little bit more follow-through as well. Also, it looks like he anny'd it a bit and kept his nose down. Check out where he starts from on the tee... off to the right and at the end he is pointing straight ahead at the basket. You started dead center and finished pointing off to the right of the basket (actually to the right of the tree even).
I think that this all just means that Doug made a better line choice... doesn't have much to do with your D though.

Latest posts