• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Building the minimalist bag

Ok. Is there a technical definition of what minimalism means to disc golf? Or is it just up to each individual to interpret? I view my bag as a very useful bag and necessary. I could play with five molds but I enjoy having speed 9s and OS putters/mids. I view my bag as pretty basic all of my molds I carry multiples of to handle different duties. I believe that you're going to come up short with 3 molds. Nothing wrong with that approach but say a TB is your driver , it just doesn't have the same potential as an OLF or thundy. IDK.

Who knows what the actual definition is.

This thread was more of a thought experiment about how everyone would build a 3-6 disc bag. Like what are the essential flight paths needed.

But I do believe that 6 or so discs would give most of us the same average scores over a year.

Who knows what the actual definition is.

This thread was more of a thought experiment about how everyone would build a 3-6 disc bag. Like what are the essential flight paths needed.

But I do believe that 6 or so discs would give most of us the same average scores over a year.

I wasn't meaning to be snarky there FYI. I may make a 5 mold bag and play every other round with it.

I'm probably going to actually start this next season. Closing this year out with my bag (not much of a winter golfer) when spring hits I actually will do this and report my findings.

I feel like it will even out. The minimal bag will give you less of a chance of making the wrong decision. Maybe you just get really good with those six discs.

Obviously, you'd probably suffer in situations where you used to throw a utility disc.

I feel like it will even out. The minimal bag will give you less of a chance of making the wrong decision. Maybe you just get really good with those six discs.

Obviously, you'd probably suffer in situations where you used to throw a utility disc.

We shall see.

I travel a bunch for work and 'bag down' to a minimalist set-up based on what I can get in my suitcase. That usually consists of:

- Catalyst (Bomber)
- Tesla (OS control)
- Inertia (US control)
- Teebird (All purpose fairway)
- Buzzz (All purpose mid)
- Pure (All purpose putter)

I will tweak that line up based on courses that I plan on playing but that's what I usually bring.

All that said, my travels have taken me to Colorado over the last few months and I've basically had to shift everything I can down a stability based on how much harder I found it to be to get anything to flip over at that elevation.

I've been thinking about this a lot recently, and I'm interested in hearing other ideas.

Creating a minimalist bag seems to require making sacrifices or prioritizing certain types of discs over others. Obviously, this has a lot to do with throwing style/skill level/personal preference, but I'm curious to hear how others approach this task.

So, how would you build a bag of 3-6 discs that could be used on any course and still give you a chance to throw close to your best? I'd like to hear what types of discs and specific flights are essential and what you would eliminate. For example, is it important to have a laser straight mid but okay to completely drop high speed drivers?

***I know an ultra-minimalist bag would be one or two discs but that's a different topic

Bonus question: Is it worth putting with a premium plastic putter that can double as a thrower?

This is how I would approach a 6 disc bag:

1) Good all around stable putter in base plastic (S Wizard)

2) Understable mid in base plastic
(350RX M4)

3) Reliable stable mid in premium plastic (400G M3)

4) Stable or neutral fairway driver in midgrade plastic (Star TeeBird/Neutron Crave or Star Leopard

5) Stable to slightly overstable distance driver in midgrade plastic
(Star Destroyer)

6) Utility overstable driver in premium plastic
(Champion Firebird)

There are many specific discs that could fit each section of the bag in place of my personal selections, but I wouldnt want to stray too far from the general theme I have provided. My mids and putters see more action than the rest of the bag because the average courses I come across while bagging are fairly simple.

1. Stable putter in durable plastic (Ion)
2. Straight to fade driver (C-PD)
3. OS utility driver for OH, FH rollers, wind, skips, etc (XXX)
4. US utility driver (Seer)
5. Max D driver (Ballista)
6. Neutral/US FW or control driver (Heat)

I'm basically going to play Sexton golf and just throw a chit load of BH and FH hyzers. I'm not using any mids so Ion for all putts and mid-range throws. If I have to go absolutely straight I'll go Ion or Heat.

What I'd lose: Lid (Polecat), putting putter, mids, OS and stable FW drivers, OS and roller flippy D drivers (Giant, King).

The real question is, what bag is everyone using to carry their smaller lineups? This has been a tough one for me. I've been using the UPD Pinch but have thought about going to a shoulder bag but honestly and I know I shouldn't care, but I worry about looking like a noob with a starter bag

The real question is, what bag is everyone using to carry their smaller lineups? This has been a tough one for me. I've been using the UPD Pinch but have thought about going to a shoulder bag but honestly and I know I shouldn't care, but I worry about looking like a noob with a starter bag

I always love showing up with a little bag whether it be a Voodoo Juju, current Gorilla Boy Spider Monkey, Innova starter, Nutsac, double Nutsac, etc etc. Nothing better than a guy with 30+ discs judging me and my old school Nikko outfit (not always, but it's fun to dress ridiculous on the course from time to time) only to shut them up with one of my five-ten discs. Yes I just threw a Buzzz farther and more accurately than your stupid anhyzer with a distance driver:cool:

Own that small bag my man! Who cares, honestly:thmbup:

Probably my new bag. Should be plenty of room for an 8-piece box and biscuits with only 6 discs in there.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3359423&postcount=2138

I rather look like a noob with a starter bag than look good and be a hacker with 25 discs I can't throw. I've been on both sides by the way, once had my a$$ handed to me by a guy who showed up with nothing but a putter, whooped me and my full bag!:sick: Became my disc golf revelation moment.:thmbup:

For my minimal rounds, I use an Innova standard bag that is thread-bare and barely holds my water bottle anymore.

A few months ago I went out to play a solo round and came up to a few guys on the first tee I have seen before, but never played with. I asked if I could play through, two of them said yeah, but the third asked if I want to join them. The other two shot the one who asked me to join a weird look. You see, I showed up with 3 discs in my hand and a rag hanging out of my back pocket.

I won the round, but it took the front nine before anyone asked why I didn't have a bag, or if those were the only discs I owned? I told them that some times I just want to keep it simple and play with a few discs. I have played with them since and have always had a fun.

So don't worry about how you "look", I know lots of guys who "look" the part, but play like noobs. Same with any other hobby/game/sport. If you're more worried about what other people think of how you look than how you play, you have other issues to deal with.

I took the putter pouch I got in the MCO 2017 player pack, poked a couple holes in it, put some zip ties in them, and connected it to an extra strap with some clips. Just enough space for 3 discs and a mini. I need to buy a nice pouch that can hold a drink and my keys, and then I'm set.

I also use that putter pouch to clip onto my Grip to add space for a couple more discs (or a Zephyr, since it fits in the pouch, but not a Grip).

The problem with all this is that there are so many cool and fun discs to try. I am definitely guilty of carrying too many discs and playing at a n00b level.

I have no doubt that I would score as well with 6 as with 16 discs. There are just so many cool ones to try.

But when I travel for work, I usually take the Nutsac with 4 discs. The actual discs vary, but they are usually:
- Neutral putter
- OS mid
- Neutral/OS Fairway
- US Driver

Last trip was all DX: Colt, Cro, TeeBird, Sidewinder. I've done all MVP, all Trilogy, etc. It might lead to inconsistent scoring, but it also feeds my need to try out different stuff.

I rather look like a noob with a starter bag than look good and be a hacker with 25 discs I can't throw. I've been on both sides by the way, once had my a$$ handed to me by a guy who showed up with nothing but a putter, whooped me and my full bag!:sick: Became my disc golf revelation moment.:thmbup:

For my minimal rounds, I use an Innova standard bag that is thread-bare and barely holds my water bottle anymore.

A few months ago I went out to play a solo round and came up to a few guys on the first tee I have seen before, but never played with. I asked if I could play through, two of them said yeah, but the third asked if I want to join them. The other two shot the one who asked me to join a weird look. You see, I showed up with 3 discs in my hand and a rag hanging out of my back pocket.

I won the round, but it took the front nine before anyone asked why I didn't have a bag, or if those were the only discs I owned? I told them that some times I just want to keep it simple and play with a few discs. I have played with them since and have always had a fun.

So don't worry about how you "look", I know lots of guys who "look" the part, but play like noobs. Same with any other hobby/game/sport. If you're more worried about what other people think of how you look than how you play, you have other issues to deal with.

Sometimes I'll use the cheapest drawstring bag you've ever seen.

The only downside is that some groups are less likely to let me play through.

I've had a Fade Crunchbox for ages. At the moment it is too big for me. I want a waste bag similar to an old school fanny pack, just to look ridiculous and not have to bend over to grab my bag every shot. Shoulder slung bags are the OG, never doubt.

Latest posts