• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Buying a new disc soon- help (beginner)

I started playing this summer and didn't get to play much throughout this semester. I'm getting better and better, but still far from what I see other guys playing at. I can generally drive around 250' and can get up to 300' on a really good throw.

I'm using:
Star Valkyrie for drives
DX leopard (beat up) for turnover shots (got my first roller the other day)
DX cobra for mid range- usually 100-200'
DX birdie for putt and approach- usually under 100'

also got a champion panther for christmas that i may trade out. it seems to be very similar to a cobra.

so i should get two more in the next couple of days. i'm not really sure what the difference in plastics is, other than the higher plastics take less beating and going understable (star, champion, pro, dx). don't understand why someone wants a disc in say pro instead of star, champion, or dx.

what would you suggest i get or at least what type i should look into?

i would try a new putter

so i should get two more in the next couple of days. i'm not really sure what the difference in plastics is, other than the higher plastics take less beating and going understable (star, champion, pro, dx). don't understand why someone wants a disc in say pro instead of star, champion, or dx.

Get a Pro Leopard & you will see. Doesn't beat in as quick as dx, super glide, & the grip is awesome. I used to throw dx leos until I got my first pro & never looked back

Get a Roc KC Pro and learn to make it do a variety of different lines (anhyzer release, hyzer release, flat) Many lifetime Roc throwers out there

Get an Eagle as a stabler driver...its a disc you can learn on and will stay in your bag your entire career unlike many other beginner discs

Try a pro leopard...its a mold you are familiar with and most agree it does its best work in pro plastic

Just stick to DX and Pro plastics as its less costly and easier to throw......premium plastics can be frustating if you are constantly replacing due to losing or growing out of.

Also dont get rid of a disc if it seems to hard to throw...eventually you will be able to and you will wish you still had that disc you traded away.

Most of all have fun and laugh at the haters you take this sport too seriously.

Get a Pro Leopard & you will see. Doesn't beat in as quick as dx, super glide, & the grip is awesome. I used to throw dx leos until I got my first pro & never looked back

So my understanding was that someone would want DX to beat it in so that it would turn over more and/or for roller. if one would not want to beat it in, why not just get star? is the grip that different? sorry, this is still new to me.

Most players want their disc to retain their initial flight paths. As a disc beats in it becomes more understable and less predictable.
Theres a fine line between a well seasoned disc and a piece of crap when considering wear on a disc.

DX beats in fastest, Then Pro, Then Star, and lastly Champ which many never beat in.

You don't want a bag full of rollers! Pro will beat into a roller but not as quick. You won't have to replace Pro as often to have a disc that flies like it should. I'm a noob also, so take my opinion as you will, but I think Pro Leos fly the way Leos are supposed to fly. Some high speed turn with a little fade. Champ & Star, and I have thrown both, are more stable than a Leo is supposed to be for me. Also DX hates trees! Pro will hold up better & is only a few bucks more

I started playing this summer and didn't get to play much throughout this semester. I'm getting better and better, but still far from what I see other guys playing at.

What you need to do is get some more mids and putters and just throw those for awhile. If you really want to be the cool kid on the block and get really good, really fast, then I'd get a S Ion and throw it A LOT. That's what I'd do if I was starting over.

So if you're only picking up a couple of discs, I'd make the Ion one and a stable-overstable mid the other, my recommendation would be a QMS (Aurora MS in Quantum plastic) or in any plastic really. Pair that with either the Cobra or Panther and your set to go. Keep the Birdie, lids are great for working on form too.

you are in Tampa, go to clearwater, ask a salesman what is good for a noob in their used section and you can get cheap discs that are already nicely beat in.

ha, actually i live in clearwater. i've been to clearwater disc store- i just don't want to make the drive 20 minutes up there (leaving for school on tuesday).

this saddens me...I used to live in Clearwater as a younger man and I wish I had access to such a place now......no more advice for you...your too lazy

:doh:

I would get something for the more stable fairway driver role, an Eagle-X or teebird would probably work great. The eagle X has more fade and slight;y less HSS and the teebird is just dead straight with a moderate fade at the end.

THIS

What you need to do is get some more mids and putters and just throw those for awhile. If you really want to be the cool kid on the block and get really good, really fast, then I'd get a S Ion and throw it A LOT. That's what I'd do if I was starting over.

So if you're only picking up a couple of discs, I'd make the Ion one and a stable-overstable mid the other, my recommendation would be a QMS (Aurora MS in Quantum plastic) or in any plastic really. Pair that with either the Cobra or Panther and your set to go. Keep the Birdie, lids are great for working on form too.

But I think many different putters would work. Aviar, Challenger, Wizard are all good. Find a good stable putter that you like and can learn multiple shots with. For mids I would stick with the Roc, Buzzz or Core group. They are all good discs, and oncemyou pick the one you like, you can use it forever. Get a Z Buzzz, KC Pro Roc and whatever Core floats your boat. Play a bunch of 2 discs rounds with your putter and mid. I am extremely biased, but if you want some good, cheap distance in a driver you can control get a River also. So much glide, it's almost like cheating at times. Good luck.

I would say to get a leopard in pro plastic or a similar disc.(gazelle maybe) Work on getting that out to over 300. I would also ditch the cobra and biride for new discs. Check out a roc/buzz or somrthing similar and work on hitting your lines with those. As for the putter, check out an aviar or some gateway putters. Imho the birdide is a piece of junk.

I know that this is off topic, but if you're ever in Brandon (right around Tampa) pm me and we can play a round at Limona!

:D

Latest posts