• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Cam Todd Pro Basket Prototype

Bump. Still no additional funding. Stuck at 1% of the goal.

Me thinks that crowd funding ain't going to work for this project.

Wait. Someone is trying to get disc golfers to part with money for something?

Heh. Good luck with that.

you need to look at it as an investment. you pay money now to get worse scores sometime in the future.

Unfortunately this project is for a field of 25 or so men and women to play elite level tourneys.

It's like asking the 99% to pay for the entertainment for the 1%

Just have a tournament, and use the signup fee to buy 18 of these baskets, then play on them. I bet someone could fabricate nice baskets like that for under $200 each. I dunno about $12.8k - you could have a tourney on these this fall for a fraction of that.

I want the sport to grow, however I have no idea why the average joe would pay for those guys to have fancy new tournament-only baskets.

They could have known this in the first 10-20 posts after the OP. Self-absorption usually blinds one to truth/reality, though.

This past week I both worked and played the Senior Olympics dg at Hiller Park. Helped set up the short 9er for the 70+ crowd. Lent out a dozen discs and gave away 4. Talked some noobs into coming back this Sunday to play a round with me.

"Cam's basket will grow the sport". What a load from greedy little egos.

Bump for sh!ts & giggles. Still stuck at $140.

http://www.gofundme.com/CTProDiscGolf

Great concept but like many have been saying this looks to be a super niche item for an already small niche market. Only use would come from tourneys making it an even more pricey investment although the baskets would last for alooong time with such little use. And only $140 donated so far. Yikes . Seems like not to many people have an interest in this as had been advertised by ctpro

If GoFundMe doesn't work, maybe they can try GoFundYourself

Necrobump!

Saw this image in a DD email, and it reminded me of Cam's little black prototype basket. Couldn't resist posting it here.

I always hoped a smaller basket would catch on. As a terrible putter it would really even the playing field for me.

I always hoped a smaller basket would catch on. As a terrible putter it would really even the playing field for me.

Because the good putters would still make putts and you'd have no chance? I still think this is a silly idea.
We could make novice level basket bigger, for the kids

Because the good putters would still make putts and you'd have no chance? I still think this is a silly idea.
We could make novice level basket bigger, for the kids

Wrong. Harder baskets favor the especially weak putters. I am missing everything outside of 30 in a tournament. With a smaller basket so will the pros. It makes driving much more important, which is my strong suit.

45' being layup territory? Yes please!

So the point is to pull the pros down closer to the score of average joe, makes sense.

The thing is, average joe will never play on these, there wouldn't be pros and ams, just special tourneys where we watch pros struggle on silly little "trick" baskets, and comment on how we could probably do better, even without ever seeing one in person.

If a course did install them, good luck getting any average joes to go out and play them on a casual round. Probably once for the experiance of it and then never again.

Putting is easy and boring because it's so rare to EVER see a putt that needs to bend, or have much if any speed control, that Touch. If greens were designed at a pro level like the hole distances are, we'd see some pros looking to try hard to sink a putt.

Changing the basket size to make pros score more like me :gross:

Hey man, I agree it will make for terrible viewing, I'm just saying that my odds of winning in open increase DRAMATICALLY with harder baskets. So for my own personal gain please please please impliment them!!!

I agree with the idea of trickier greens. If you were going to be punished(aka fly down hill, possible roll down, tricky bushes, water), then more strategy would be involved instead of the pros approach of "run everything". Because right now, they can make any come backer. If the greens were more punishing, they'd have the consequences at least in the back of their mind. It would make watching putting more interesting and challenging for the pros

Really don't want to threadjack, but...

It remains my strong opinion that gimmicks do not make for better, more challenging play.
Gimmicks only add frustration to what is an immensely enjoyable pastime/game/sport.

The answer is: harder, more challenging courses.
Longer, narrower fairways, longer tunnels, elevation, slope and OB.
This, of course, is no easy solution and it would not create a noob-friendly course.
But in the competitive arena our future is harder, more challenging courses, not gimmicks like tricked-up baskets.

^+1

Unfortunately there are two things you need for harder course design. Land and landscaping. Both cost moneys that can't be recouped via the disc golf economy.

The answer is: harder, more challenging courses.
Longer, narrower fairways, longer tunnels, elevation, slope and OB.
This, of course, is no easy solution and it would not create a noob-friendly course.
But in the competitive arena our future is harder, more challenging courses, not gimmicks like tricked-up baskets.

What he said. Course design is needed more than Bullseye style targets.

Latest posts