• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

can amatuers have sponsors?

Coffman

are ams allowed to have sponsors and still play in am division or do they have to play pro? I know ams cant accept cash payouts but wasn't sure if they could have help with entry fees.

Remember, the word "sponsorship" means different things to different sponsoring companies. I know an Am who gets all his discs and other said company items for free but that's all. So sponsorships come in many flavors....

Receiving cash payouts is the only disqualifier. Ams can even receive cash at tournaments, from sidegames, and are still considered amateurs. They can receive cash prizes at non-PDGA events. Even if they were paid cash by a sponsor, it wouldn't affect their status.

They can still play AM. I believe the only caveat to playing AM is you can't accept cash payouts in tournament play, even as an AM playing in a Pro division, you'd have to accept merchandise in lieu of cash, if I understand the rules correctly.

I know a number of Am players who have vendor sponsorship. In many respects, their shirtback is probably better than a pros, since a lot of the vendor's potential customers play in Am divisions.

There are amateur players sponsored by major manufacturers. I know.

Latest posts