• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Can anyone throw 500'?

In this video Kristian Kuoksa throws 228 meters or in imperial units 748 feet, and it came with normal run-up, there was no 360 run up, and he throws almost 750 feet, and the wind was very calm, so these results are not coming with a massive wind blowing the discs further than they fly naturally.

Kristian is only 20 years old now, so he has even more potential.

And he is not kind of one throw wonder, he can throw very accurately both BH and FH, he has a PDGA rating 1022 right now!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TFjMT9UKM8

Video is in finnish but it has english subtitles...

And this is the practice they facilitate in the training facility that is used by both swedish and finnish players. Something leads me to believe that these guys will take over more and more of the pro tour. At least I am not aware of a similar training program for american disc golfers.

What I noticed in your video of him - the way he holds his arm in place instead of swinging it back reminds me a lot of Niklas Anttila. You can always tell the angle he is going for well in advance just looking tat the way he holds the arm.

And this is the practice they facilitate in the training facility that is used by both swedish and finnish players. Something leads me to believe that these guys will take over more and more of the pro tour. At least I am not aware of a similar training program for american disc golfers.

What I noticed in your video of him - the way he holds his arm in place instead of swinging it back reminds me a lot of Niklas Anttila. You can always tell the angle he is going for well in advance just looking tat the way he holds the arm.

Ya, this sport has not yet even begun to see the actual potential of genetic athletic freaks, trained from birth to throw discs. It will get crazy eventually.

A big part of this is because they can't throw during the off-season. In America the pros just live in Arizona/Florida and play DG year round. I know Simon lives in MA but that is just … asinine

Has anyone calculated the minimum average speed a disc needs to travel to make it 500'? I was in a newer shop outside of KC (Albatross in Lenexa), and they had a net and speed gun set up. I asked how much it cost and he said it was free. Shop has a board on the wall with highest speeds FH and BH by player rating. So, you can come in and try to get your name on the board. Very cool. So it turns out I can throw 62mph. On a football field I can get over 400 only occasionally.

How fast does 500' need to go?

Funny, I clicked this thread because I was thinking about speed versus distance.

Particularly since I'm throwing off hand and my speed is even slower. BTW, 62 mph is impressive IMO.

So I have one of those coach meters and have used it amongst my friends. Although angles and such matter, average distance and speed seem to be highly correlated.

OTOH, throwing offhand at much slower speed, I've seen huge differences in disc flight depending on things like nose angle. No idea about spin, but I think the general consensus is you need a minimum spin rate for optimal flight, but higher spin doesn't really impact distance.

Oh boy—Ivan Drago in disc golf!

Oh boy—Ivan Drago in disc golf!

I am very curious if strength training big muscle groups (Ezra++) significantly helps, or if disc golf is more a swimmer/runner bodystyle? Because it seems like the lanky guys do just fine at this moment. Could be the Hercules types take over.

I am very curious if strength training big muscle groups (Ezra++) significantly helps, or if disc golf is more a swimmer/runner bodystyle? Because it seems like the lanky guys do just fine at this moment. Could be the Hercules types take over.

Seems Paige (FPO) and Emerson (MPO) do pretty good having smaller statures, so I would surmise form is more important, but that's just my opinion. Whatever is needed to generate maximum release speed and spin. Eagle and AB, though certainly tall, don't seem to be buff by any stretch. Those are probably 2 of the top 3 or 4 distance guys right now...

Not to mention some of the kids throwing 450+, with hardly any muscle mass at all. Those are the people that amaze me the most.

Does anyone know of any speed measuring devices in the OH/IN/MI/KY area? Our local shop had one but they started using that space for stock and its not been up in a few years.

It's like any sport. Training will help.

Someone was talking about conditioning recently (cardio). I am certain that that helps a lot. Being able to play a round and feel near 100% at the end or after a walk up a hill or whatever allows them to make their best effort.

A lot of what is in the video isn't about pure power but flexibility along with some amount of strength building, but not weight lifting type strength.

Football players discovered that yoga type workouts enhanced their game. You hear things like "core strength" and I think that's the kind of thing that applies across all athletic endeavors. All those things make for a healthy body foundation.

But, being good at disc golf is a skill set. The foundation allows you to work more on the skill set and recover and work some more to hone the skill set.

It's like any sport. Training will help.

Someone was talking about conditioning recently (cardio). I am certain that that helps a lot. Being able to play a round and feel near 100% at the end or after a walk up a hill or whatever allows them to make their best effort.

A lot of what is in the video isn't about pure power but flexibility along with some amount of strength building, but not weight lifting type strength.

Football players discovered that yoga type workouts enhanced their game. You hear things like "core strength" and I think that's the kind of thing that applies across all athletic endeavors. All those things make for a healthy body foundation.

But, being good at disc golf is a skill set. The foundation allows you to work more on the skill set and recover and work some more to hone the skill set.

I think this is spot on. Look at Golf or Formula 1 racers. Both of those fields have almost unlimited training resources and the focus for those both seem to be core strength, flexibility, and some resistance training for specific muscle groups. Coming from a cycling background where you don't want to bulk up I feel like disc golf is very similar in that you want to be lean, fit, and have really good core strength to perform your best. None of that is required, but I think players can benefit from it.

I think this is spot on. Look at Golf or Formula 1 racers. Both of those fields have almost unlimited training resources and the focus for those both seem to be core strength, flexibility, and some resistance training for specific muscle groups. Coming from a cycling background where you don't want to bulk up I feel like disc golf is very similar in that you want to be lean, fit, and have really good core strength to perform your best. None of that is required, but I think players can benefit from it.

The only thing I have to add is "never skip leg day."

One point of articles like the one I shared elsewhere is that training demands and phases are not linearly additive to outcomes, and their are different types of athletic recruitment of body tissues. Baseball is well-developed in this area so I like to learn from it. No one should argue that baseball pitchers have well-developed technique to deliver their 90+mph fastballs. If you aren't in good enough condition to do that, you won't do that. If you are in good enough condition to do that, you might need to further optimize for incremental gains.
https://treadathletics.com/high-velocity-training/

Also not trivial that Aderhold was a swimmer before he moved to disc golf, which has a lot of the neuromuscular sequence in common in addition to his excellent fitness.

Plenty out there about pitching and related sports throwing body training regimens that are relevant to disc golf.

Last edited:

Latest posts