• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

cant improve for the last 3 years

If you throw enough drives you will get tired and sore no matter how perfect your technique is. It probably takes someone like Avery Jenkins all day long to reach that point, but it will happen.

This is true because your body is heavy. It ain't free weight, you have to carry it. You aren't just swinging a light plastic disc, you're also swinging an entire arm.

A dozen drives is easy. Maybe a couple hundred drives is easy for you. A couple thousand is serious.

Last edited:
it sounds like the problem is totally mental.....slow the F down and see your shot then throw that shot. go and get a few leopards and once you can get those over 375' -400' you will have all the distance you need to win, then go practice putting. Practice putting more than anything. I tell myself to slow down constantly and then I hit shots, i'm not remarkable I just focus and play one shot at a time.

You see, now this is the problem I have. No matter how long I try and stick to this way of thinking, leopards are just not flying 400' for me. I don't get it.

I have been playing just a little under a year. My drive's aren't to bad, but I have found for myself that approaches are where its at! Even with a mediocre drive I can make up for it with a perfect approach! Perfect being a drop in on the putt.

I watch disc golf videos like crazy but tomorrow ill post a video of me thowing like 10 discs on the thread and maybe ill throw like 100 a day during the week to practice form flaws and then like 1000 the weekend to really drill it in.

Disc golf videos only tell half the story, everyones bodies are different and you need to figure out what works best for you. Obviously you want proper mechanics and form but throwing 2000 throws is way to much. You will end up hurting yourself well before you get good.

You see, now this is the problem I have. No matter how long I try and stick to this way of thinking, leopards are just not flying 400' for me. I don't get it.

LOL :p

Paul McBeth said that when he was 17, he played disc golf 8 hours a day, every day during the Summer. What the OP wants to do, isn't much different...

I know some lady pros who do pull-ups every day and throw in the 450-500 range. Pull-ups might be the way to increase distance. I don't know for sure, though.

Ive been playing for 5 years but the past 3 years ive hit a stand still with my game mainly distance but putting as well so im stopping playing. Courses that is and only temporary. Once i hit 400' in distance and 10 for 10 constantly at 25' putting then ill start playing again. I plan on throwing about 2000 drivers twice a week on open field practice with cones at 300, 350 and 400. For putting im gonna use discraft pro clinic better putting practice, Its gonna be really hard when my friends text/call me wanting me to play but ive gotta improve and if my banning myself its really gonna make me want to improve more. Is this a good idea? or is there some other way i can improve quicker?

Dont ban yourself from dg. Disc golf is a fun game and you should always have fun playing disc golf ! Occasionally Playing with people should always help with dg game(and should be fun). Treat your rec rounds like throwing in a field. Throwing Frisbees is fun! Golf and competition is okay...

don't throw them.....throw your body at the basket and let the disc rip out of your hand naturally. I know this sounds odd but it will work. You need to focus on not trying to throw and just letting your body do all the work. I wish I could embed a video of me throwing leopards......I park a 415' hole and the throw was effortless. I am not remarkable...I am just someone that figured out hoe to use my legs and rotate my body into throws....you can do the same I promise.

Last edited:
I know some lady pros who do pull-ups every day and throw in the 450-500 range. Pull-ups might be the way to increase distance. I don't know for sure, though.

Jenn....there isn't a lady on tour that can do that many pull ups in a day...what lady throws in the 450 range because I have played with all the top women and none of them can do that.

don't throw them.....throw your body at the basket and let the disc rip out of your hand naturally. I know this sounds odd but it will work. You need to focus on not trying to throw and just letting your body do all the work. I wish I could embed a video of me throwing leopards......I park a 415' hole and the throw was effortless. I am not remarkable...I am just someone that figured out hoe to use my legs and rotate my body into throws....you can do the same I promise.

and I do this with my left hand and I'm right handed. So if I can you can too.

Younggun has been out throwing drives for the last 48 hours straight. I heard the Guinness Record guys are out there recording the whole thing.

BS.

Jenn....there isn't a lady on tour that can do that many pull ups in a day...what lady throws in the 450 range because I have played with all the top women and none of them can do that.

She never said how many pull ups the women do, she just stated that they do them.

BS.

She never said how many pull ups the women do, she just stated that they do them.

Dude come on...BS....Really. Sorry you can't apply simple techniques.

You're right she did not indicate a number but I doubt any of the open women shy of 1 or 2 of them can even do a single pull up and none of them can hit 500' that I have ever seen. So you tell me how you have this figured out. I mean its not like I just played 10 rounds of golf at De La with half the field at the Masters and then filmed them all weekend. I was at the Daisy Chains too and there are tons of open holes and not a single woman out drove a 450' hole.

Dbarb.......

Go the the DeLaveaga disc golf facebook page and you can see me parking that hole I was talking about with the Leopard I was talking about. Oh after that I park a 395' hole with a BuzzzSS so tell me again how this is BS?

holy moly this is a gem of a thread. lol

Whoever here first said repetition is pointless unless you're doing each throw properly is the bread-winner. Instead of 200 throws, take a video camera to the field, record 3 throws... stop... watch the video, figured out the bad parts, then record throwing 3 more... compare to see if anything got better/worse... adjust and record three more... lather/rinse/repeat.

Or find a coach that can help.

holy moly this is a gem of a thread. lol

Whoever here first said repetition is pointless unless you're doing each throw properly is the bread-winner. Instead of 200 throws, take a video camera to the field, record 3 throws... stop... watch the video, figured out the bad parts, then record throwing 3 more... compare to see if anything got better/worse... adjust and record three more... lather/rinse/repeat.

Or find a coach that can help.

Boom! This guy nailed it. Seeing yourself on camera throwing is one of the best training tools you can get.

Dbarb.......

Go the the DeLaveaga disc golf facebook page and you can see me parking that hole I was talking about with the Leopard I was talking about. Oh after that I park a 395' hole with a BuzzzSS so tell me again how this is BS?

lol... my apologies, but I just woke up and it took me a second to realize how many people I've seen do that. What hole at DeLaveaga was this?

One time, I threw my putter 876' uphill into a stiff headwind. It was effortless!

LOL :p

Paul McBeth said that when he was 17, he played disc golf 8 hours a day, every day during the Summer. What the OP wants to do, isn't much different...

Its a lot different:

If Paul could play a round an hour on an 18-hole course, that'd be 144 drives. I don't know about the rest of you, but I've played 70 holes in a day and was wasted. No one's going to throw 2000 drives in a day. That'd be a drive every 19 seconds during the entire stretch of daylight hours, and doesn't include picking up your discs.

Before our first trip to Idaho kayaking, my buddy and I decided we were going to do 50 Eskimo rolls a day for a week, so our roll would be good and we wouldn't swim. We were shocked to find that it took more than an hour to do them all[to flip over and roll up takes about 5 seconds] and for the first few days, we weren't sure if we could roll any more the next day or not.

Last edited: