• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

cant improve for the last 3 years

Plateau?

Initially when you first start playing is when you will be improving at a good rate. But once you have a couple years under your belt the improvements will slow & you might even plateau (like whats happening to you now). Not to worry! Another couple years added on & you should start picking it back up again & more good things that will happen to your game.
Repetition is good if applied usefully. If I was to pick something that I want to practice a LOT it would be putting. If you can putt well the rest of your game gets a whole lot easier!
And dont give up on the occasional round or two with your buddies. This game is a lot more social than other sports & having fun & feeling good to just be outdoors with your buddies will go a long way!

LOL :p

Paul McBeth said that when he was 17, he played disc golf 8 hours a day, every day during the Summer. What the OP wants to do, isn't much different...

Its a lot different:

If Paul could play a round an hour on an 18-hole course, that'd be 144 drives. I don't know about the rest of you, but I've played 70 holes in a day and was wasted. No one's going to throw 2000 drives in a day. That'd be a drive every 19 seconds during the entire stretch of daylight hours, and doesn't include picking up your discs.

Before our first trip to Idaho kayaking, my buddy and I decided we were going to do 50 Eskimo rolls a day for a week, so our roll would be good and we wouldn't swim. We were shocked to find that it took more than an hour to do them all[to flip over and roll up takes about 5 seconds] and for the first few days, we weren't sure if we could roll any more the next day or not.

Nope, it's not any different. McBeth wanted to improve and he dedicated a lot of time on the course to doing so. The OP wants to improve by dedicating a lot of time to field practice. It's the same thing. The number of drives he throws is arbritary....it's the commitment.

Playing a lot of holes is way the hell less dangerous than practicing hundreds and hundreds of drives. I'm not a physician, but at least I know what rhabdo is.

You're right, throwing hundreds of drives will hurt you. I just wish I'd known that before all the field practice I did, to improve my playing. I guess I'm the exception to the rule, since I didn't suffer any injuries.

lol... my apologies, but I just woke up and it took me a second to realize how many people I've seen do that. What hole at DeLaveaga was this?

Hole 16 drove my leopard and had a 20' putt. Hole 6 leopard and a 5' putt. I typically roll 13 with a leopard too. The video is of hole 6-7-8

Nope, it's not any different. McBeth wanted to improve and he dedicated a lot of time on the course to doing so. The OP wants to improve by dedicating a lot of time to field practice. It's the same thing. The number of drives he throws is arbritary....it's the commitment.

I'm not questioning his desire to do it. I'm doubting his ability to do it. 8 hours of DG does not equate with 2000 drives in a day.

Hole 16 drove my leopard and had a 20' putt. Hole 6 leopard and a 5' putt. I typically roll 13 with a leopard too. The video is of hole 6-7-8

notworthy.gif

young gun
I have been trying to improve recently too. what has helped most is working on form. all the time before every throw on the course I do a warm up "throw" and do those until I have correct form then throw. I have been playing 18 or doing field work everyday for 2 to 3 hours, some days 4 or 5. usually cuz I'm bored and this is my sport and I love playing. field work is very beneficial, what I like to do is throw 20 to 30 throws to warm up and make sure my form is correct then I will aim at something off in the distance to practice hitting lines, like aim at a far off telephone pole and keep throwing at it until u throw one straight at it then switch targets. I do this a lot when doing field work. also working on shot shaping in the field is great. working in the field should not just be distance throws. also when I play alone when I have a bad shot I will try to evaluate what I did wrong and the throw again correcting that (hopefully). this helps a lot and will definitely improve your game. also I suggest posting a video like everyone else said.. that will help form issues that may be here

Lol thanks.

Took today off and played 90 holes of golf and won the friday doubles. I think the OP can prolly play 8 hours and be cool. Got a monthly to play tomorrow so add another 36 holes to that too.

RANT WARNING______________________

Here's the thing....

Not everyone has the ability to throw 400' with a Leopard, just like not everyone has a jumpshot like Kobe.

At some point you have to accept that and just go play. My max drive is about 400' and yes, I have to use a much-scoffed Blizzard disc to get it. I know I'm not going to be joining the pro circuit any time soon, but I have a good time.

I feel similar about this thread and how every new player on here is told not to throw anything faster than a Leopard until they can throw it 400'. It is possible to over-analyze and over-practice to the point where you suck the fun out of the game.

The sport needs to grow and it's going to do that by people getting out and having fun, not by having a course-marshall who drives around on a golf cart mandating players put their speed 12 disc back in their bag until they can throw their putter 467'

Being discraft country, there seems to be a sponsoed pro at almost every course.
Problem is, most pros are more likely to give you tips vs revamping your throw- and if your stuck its likely at least a slight revamp thats needed.

Ensuring fundamentals will help you apply the tips.

RANT WARNING______________________

Here's the thing....

Not everyone has the ability to throw 400' with a Leopard, just like not everyone has a jumpshot like Kobe.

At some point you have to accept that and just go play. My max drive is about 400' and yes, I have to use a much-scoffed Blizzard disc to get it. I know I'm not going to be joining the pro circuit any time soon, but I have a good time.

I feel similar about this thread and how every new player on here is told not to throw anything faster than a Leopard until they can throw it 400'. It is possible to over-analyze and over-practice to the point where you suck the fun out of the game.

The sport needs to grow and it's going to do that by people getting out and having fun, not by having a course-marshall who drives around on a golf cart mandating players put their speed 12 disc back in their bag until they can throw their putter 467'

I agree that fun>skills but theyre light plastic frisbees and almost everyone does have the potential to throw leos 400, we just dont have the mentality or dedication to go against what seems natural.

Hey young gun, I have some Zones and Vectors I can part with. Also if you happen to live anywhere near NE Ohio I'd be down to throw a round and give you some pointers. PM me if you'd like.

holy moly this is a gem of a thread. lol

Whoever here first said repetition is pointless unless you're doing each throw properly is the bread-winner. Instead of 200 throws, take a video camera to the field, record 3 throws... stop... watch the video, figured out the bad parts, then record throwing 3 more... compare to see if anything got better/worse... adjust and record three more... lather/rinse/repeat.

Or find a coach that can help.

yeah!

also get a comet! throw it 2000 times a day for a year! let me know if that works for you.

Latest posts