• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Careful out there chaps

ScottishDiscman

Birdie Member
http://www.dailynews.com/general-ne...-park-receives-3-million-from-manhattan-beach

A Hermosa Beach woman blinded in one eye by an errant flying golf disc at Manhattan Beach's Polliwog Park has settled a lawsuit against the city for $3 million.

Noreen Goodbody endured four surgeries up to eight hours long each in an unsuccessful attempt to save her vision after suffering a detached retina and traumatic cataract in the wake of the August 2012 accident, said attorney David Lederer of Los Angeles-based Lederer & Nojima.

In the process, she racked up more than $202,000 in medical bills and faces the prospect of more surgeries amid ongoing medical problems caused by the sharp, heavy golf disc slamming into her face.

I feel bad for the poor lady. I'm glad she received some level of compensation for what sounds like significant and debilitating injuries; however, if you're in the general vicinity of a disc golf course you should maintain the same level of awareness that you would at a baseball, hockey, or softball field.

I wonder if she would've been successful in her lawsuit if she had been, say, in a baseball bleacher seat and not paying attention.

I don't know the details of original injury, so just throwing out some idle speculation...

Unfortunately, I see more things like this happening when the "Grow the Sport" crowd pushes beginner-level courses into crowded multi-use parks with little to no regard for safe design.

I feel bad for the poor lady. I'm glad she received some level of compensation for what sounds like significant and debilitating injuries; however, if you're in the general vicinity of a disc golf course you should maintain the same level of awareness that you would at a baseball, hockey, or softball field.

I wonder if she would've been successful in her lawsuit if she had been, say, in a baseball bleacher seat and not paying attention.

I don't know the details of original injury, so just throwing out some idle speculation...

Unfortunately, I see more things like this happening when the "Grow the Sport" crowd pushes beginner-level courses into crowded multi-use parks with little to no regard for safe design.

I agree for the most part, except the bolded. The idea that disc golf should be treated the same way as other sports is a cute idea. Here in reality land its not the way it works. The onus is on disc golfers, clubs, and course designers to try to minimize risk *if* you are putting a course in a multi use area.

Also, pay to play disc golf exclusive property takes care of all of these issues

I also hope some of the "duck or bleed" crowd takes notice of this. But I doubt it.

How about we don't put disc golf courses into busy urban parks?

I agree with that too. But keep in mind that even if we never put another course in a busy park there are already hundreds, if not thousands already out there in the ground. many have been their for a very long time and get a ton of use.

attachment.php

You can read up on it here.

Notice, in particular, the PUBLISHED "alternate layouts" which were designed by (or at least credited to) MPO PDGA members.

This course was a disaster waiting to happen, even in the original layout, and the "alternate layouts" are a poster child for the point that disc golf is not an activity that's suited for shared public space.

Last edited:
there are many blind shots and blind spots on a DGC!
no pun intended.
THAT ONE FOR SURE!

Last edited:
IMHO, the problem is it's pretty obvious to most people when their amblings take them on to a ball field, rink, court, golf course, or other setting where more common outdoor activities happen where there's a potential risk of pedestrian injuries when the designated activity is taking place.

Additionally, most of those activities take place out in the open, where people can see what's going on around them.

Most people don't even know our sport exists, hardly any public courses have signs indicated to watch out for flying discs.... you're lucky if there's one posted next to the rules near the first hole, let alone on at multiple high traffic every points of access onto the course. Further, by their very design, some of the better courses take advantage of fairways that bend and turn to create blind fairways. Someone out for a leisurely walk in the park (possibly your grandmother) might not even realize they're on a course of some sort, let alone walking in a fairway.

Good course design should make it virtually impossible to hit someone walking on a walking path... that person is exactly where they are supposed to be.

I'm for more signs at key points of access to the course and new courses going in further away from high traffic sections of the park.

Last edited:
Lady shoulda kept her head up.

Seriously though... that course looks like its in a HORRIBLE location.

IMHO, the problem is it's pretty obvious to most people when their amblings take them on to a ball field, rink, court, golf course, or other setting where more common outdoor activities happen where there's a potential risk of pedestrian injuries when the designated activity is taking place.

Additionally, most of those activities take place out in the open, where people can see what's going on around them.

Most people don't even know our sport exists, hardly any public courses have signs indicated to watch out for flying discs.... you're lucky if there's one posted next to the rules near the first hole, let alone on at multiple high traffic every points of access onto the course. Further, by their very design, some of the better courses take advantage of fairways that bend and turn to create blind fairways. Someone out for a leisurely walk in the park (possibly your grandmother) might not even realize they're on a course of some sort, let alone walking in a fairway.

Good course design should make it virtually impossible to hit someone walking on a walking path... that person is exactly where they are supposed to be.

I'm for more signs at key points of access to the course and new courses going in further away from high traffic sections of the park.

So much logic in this post, and in the earlier one talking about how the onus is on us as disc golfers to make the right decisions.

Most people don't know what that basket sitting in the middle of the grass is. We do, and it's up to us to respectfully make sure they learn without suffering injury.

As I have said before, and this is especially true in public parks, "Only disc golfers see fairways. Everyone else just sees a park."

attachment.php

You can read up on it here.

Notice, in particular, the PUBLISHED "alternate layouts" which were designed by (or at least credited to) MPO PDGA members.

This course was a disaster waiting to happen, even in the original layout, and the "alternate layouts" are a poster child for the point that disc golf is not an activity that's suited for shared public space.

Jesus what a trainwreck. Its really sad that it took such a horrific injury for anyone to realize how terrible of an idea that was.

Golfers must be aware...we're the only one's who have the power to throw or not. Park users have no idea about ducking, etc. My local course has pedestrians constantly. We always give right of way and send spotters to make sure. This should be standard.

At sporting events when you buy a ticket you effectively sign a waiver and know what you're getting into...enter at your own risk. Not the same as a disc golf course. Most people just see a park to walk thru/in. They should be aware but the onus is on us golfers.

My home course plays adjacent to a playground and has bike paths running through 1/3rd of the fairways. The throwers around here yield to the pedestrians, not the other way around. The non-discers are acutely aware of what is going on, though, and many will wave/usher you on while they take cover. Cognizance is key, people need to be aware of their surroundings to prevent mishaps. If this cannot be done, move the course to a more secluded area to prevent Darwinism from running its natural path.

Terrible thing that happened, and in all honestly, a course that should have never been installed. The thing is, I bet we all know courses or at least some holes, where the potential for similar incidents is there.

But any time I hear one of these 7+ digit settlements, I wonder how much of that $3 million is actually going to the woman's medical bills, present care, lost wages or future needs.

Last edited:
How about we don't put disc golf courses into busy urban parks?

Winner winner.

And I hear the argument about the many courses that already exist in busy parks...phase them out. It's not going to happen overnight, of course, but a good start would be to say no to any new courses in multi-use parks. There are plenty of existing park courses that could be converted to an exclusive use type situation...charge an entrance fee and make it for disc golf only. No nature walkers, no mountain bikers, no picnickers...just disc golf. Not unlike pretty much every ball golf course in existence, be it private or public. That would go a long way toward both addressing safety issues and raising the visibility of the sport in general.

Winner winner.

And I hear the argument about the many courses that already exist in busy parks...phase them out. It's not going to happen overnight, of course, but a good start would be to say no to any new courses in multi-use parks. There are plenty of existing park courses that could be converted to an exclusive use type situation...charge an entrance fee and make it for disc golf only. No nature walkers, no mountain bikers, no picnickers...just disc golf. Not unlike pretty much every ball golf course in existence, be it private or public. That would go a long way toward both addressing safety issues and raising the visibility of the sport in general.

Agreed. The only way I have seen disc golf work on multi-use parks is when its a park that has tennis courts, baseball fields, etc. But having a park that is integrated and sharing fairways with a disc golf course is always going to be a bad idea.

It is up to us, especially if we want to be ambassadors of the sport, to be the cognizant ones out there. Keep an eye out at all times