• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Champion Beast... how to throw

Superflyer

I just picked up a champion beast thinking I would step up from my Stratus Pro D. Went to the field and started throwing. Hook hard left, hook hard left. I throw RHBH most times but do throw RHFH fairly well. I tried putting a huge anhyzer on it and it will start right and then die hard left at the end of its flight. Is there a certain way this disc is supposed to be thrown? Do I not have enough power/snap/speed to get the best flight from this disc? Any help is appreciated.

That's quite a speed jump from a Stratus to a Beast. While the Beast is understable, it's also fast so it requires nose down to get it to fly right. The Stratus does not. I'd get something like a Polaris LS or DX Cheetah and work with them before you mess with the Beast. They're slower discs that are easy to control and require some nose down, but not a lot. They'll give better feedback than the Beast when you start doing things more right.

A few things to look for are:

Proper wrist orientiation and grip
Weight forward at the hit
Pulling the disc close to your right pec
Starting your pull lower than the actual release angle, but following through on the same plane as the release angle.

Thanks. I had a feeling it was a bit of a jump just from the research I had done but I thought I could get away with throwing it. I'll keep working with it but will plan on getting a few of the others you mentioned. So with the correct speed that disc should be thrown on a flat release, slightly nose down?

It still depends on your arm speed and snap. I'd have to hyzer flip a beast for it to go straight otherwise it's too understable for me. I also can throw around 400' consitently so it all depends on how you throw.

The champ plastic will also cause more fade. I had a champ and a pro Beast and they were two totally different discs until the champ plastic broke in.

The plastic just needs to be worn in as well. Meet the beast in a dark ally and beat it up.

If the disc is new, then it will also tend to behave more overstable than rated. I bought a Champ Wraith not to long ago, and it is taking some time for me to get it to turn over at all. Granted, I am an intermediate level player who throws around 300ft, I'm sure more experienced players who get more speed/spin would see different results.

Getting a disc to turnover definitely requires a lot of spin/speed. No longer than you've been playing, it may take a little time to get the understable discs to turn, but you will get there I promise. A DX plastic disc will beat in a lot faster than a champ disc too, champ discs seem to take a while to wear in, but once they get there, they stay there for a long time.

You should probably start with slower discs (see garublador's post) and move your way up as the slower discs become flippy on you. However, I do really like the Beast. It's great for max distance anny's, hyzer-flips, and beautiful curving S-shots in a tailwind. The Stratus is a completely different beast altogether. I use it more as a mid-range for controlled anhyzers that don't need a lot of distance and the Stratus doesn't need near the amount of spin/torque to stay on its anny line; in fact, it hardly needs any and it will still hold its anny.

I thing garublador is right. Maybe try a Leopard in addition to the Cheetah and Polaris LS. Once you get to where you're torquing the Beast all of these will make great rollers.

I guess I am just getting ahead of myself on what discs I can and should be throwing. I am very comfortable with all my "beginner" discs and wanted to add a bit of variety to my bag. Even though I have only been playing for a few months I get out almost every day, except when it's raining, and I can't even begin to say how many videos, clips I watch. If I'm not on the course I am in the field next to my house. I feel like my form has gotten a lot better. I have gone from driving 200' to nearing 300', still with the occasional bad release point. It did seem that the harder I threw the beast the better it worked out. Do many people throw it forearm, or is it mainly a backhand disc?

When I picked up a Beast I too experienced the same results as you. I've always thrown RHBH. I believe it's fading hard left because there is not enough spin. I say this because I know that my backhand throws don't have much spin. However, on occassion, I've been able to throw that Beast forehand with some really amazing results. I do know that when I use forehand throws I can really snap it to get a lot of spin. For me it has traveled far and flat with what seems to me as very little effort (force of throw) and only toward the very end did it start to fade.

My Beast is DX plastic and it's nowhere near understable. Perhaps DX is more overstable than the premium plastics.

garublador mentions throwing it nose down. I think that's some very good advice. Since I'm new to throwing forehand, I'm not at all consistent with my release. I believe my errant forehand throws are attributed to throwing it with the nose up.

Probably the best way to work on backhand snap is to just throw in an open field. At first, don't worry about where or how far the disc goes.

Don't worry about footwork either. Just work on throwing with your hips driving your shoulders, your shoulders pulling your arm, and your arm and hand pulling past your pec at the highest possible speed. The motion should be something between pulling a lawnmower start cord on a horizontal and snapping a towel in gym class, but with your wrist fairly loose and down in a "shaking hands" position. Tighten your grip just before you hit the highest velocity point ("the rip"), and you should feel the disc forcibly eject from your hand. You're not releasing it, it's leaving you.

If the disc stalls out and dies to the left (for a righty), you got nose up. Keep the disc flatter. Once it comes out and basically stays parallel to the ground, then you can work on aim and an x-step to add distance.

I thow a 167 champion beast sidearm (it's my go to disc) since I can't thow it well backhand, it fades left a bit to much. However, it was suggested that I go lighter & try that backhand, so I got a 163 champion beast. That was worse because the 167 is more beat in then the 163. So, now I'm thowing that one sidearm unitl it breaks in enough to try backhand again. Just work on thowing that champion beast sidearm, it takes less effort to do so if you feel comfortable thowing that way.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one that experienced issues with this disc. I'll have to try it sidearm and see how it does. On normal flight characteristics for RHBH it should turn right some and then fade left at the end of the flight, correct? Again, because of the spin generated of course. I am surprised to see how much plastic plays a factor in disc functionality.

the beast is great to learn forehand distance drives on. it sounds like that may still be a bit out of your league but hold onto it. It'll come in handy as you get better.

I too hated my beasts at first. I now protect them with my life. I carry 4 in my bag, 3 Champions, one that flies understable, and two that fly stable at different weights and a fourth in star plastic. My champs were extremely overstable to start, but just keep with it and as your snap gets better and your discs get beat in, you will be throwing them 300' on a straight line in no time.

To whomever said that DX is more overstable than premium plastics, you are incorrect. DX right out of the box flies closest to its flight characteristics, then as it gets beat up becomes overstable. If a DX beast is flying overstable for you, then you probably are throwing a disc that is too fast for your current skills. Keep working on your snap and that DX Beast should fly understable for you in no time.

throw them my way.

Your Question is how to throw a Beast. Into the trash! I've had 2 and hated both.

No love for the Beast? Really? You should of thrown them towards me, I would have taken them. I actually get some of my longest dirves with these thrown as a flex shot.