• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Mambas inconsistent, or just me??!

ChrisinFL

Eagle Member
So, I have 5 light weight DX Mambas. One of them is 147g, and I throw it well 3/4 of the time. I throw it on a hyzer angle, it flips up to flat, and generally goes about 225-245 feet fairly straight, with a gentle fade at the end. The other four, weights 132, 145, 146, and 146, are very inconsistent. I try to throw them on the same hyzer angle, but they will often flip up to flat, then keep flipping over into rollers, and just as often fail to flip up, and fade hard left. When they do flip up to flat and go straight, they don't get nearly the pretty flight and distance the 147g disc gets. Not a one time thing - same pattern for several field sessions now. I am going to bag the 147g as one of my primary distance discs, while the other four - getting so I hate to even throw them in practice right now! Mambas or me, and how or why??? Thanks for any input!

DX anything is inconsistent, with that said a Mamba is a really good beginner intermediate disc but as you get better you will find some of those disc aren't good as your disc speed increases and form gets better. Just my .02$

DX can his a sweetspot pretty quickly and one tree can turn that thing into a different disc. DX disc are good until they aren't.

I love Mambas...and I f'n hate them too. Won't leave home without a couple at least, but the ones I do are vastly different - one is a flip machine and one I use for low-ceiling FH. I've also got one that dumps hard and can fight wind.
I'm carrying them anyway because the rim width and feel in my hand is more comfortable than trying to find this or that other disc to work instead of a Mamba that is perfect for a shot -- due to its inconsistency.
Plus they are super easy to replace and the factory store will run an occasional special for them at $10 for premium plastics. (y)

Probably both.

High speed, flippy discs are just inconsistent by nature. It's mainly about the nose angle. Get it down and you get big turn. Throw even slightly nose up and you get little to no turn. Mambas were made to be super flippy in premium plastic, so when you do get the nose down, those lightweight, DX mambas are gonna be uncontrollable flip city. I'm guessing the one oddball you have has a different plh from the rest of your stack, but not sure.

I love DX, but use more durable plastic past speed 7 or so. Those wide rim drivers just don't hold up in the cheap plastic. I sliced all the way through the rim of a brand new dx wraith years ago. Oak tree collision on the very first throw. Pro plastic holds up much better.

Whenever I get INNOVA Star plastic it SOMETIMES feels really stiff and tends to be more stable.

The off the shelf stuff is SOMETIMES a lot softer and tends to be less stable.
FTFY Innova has a reputation for being pretty inconsistent run to run. 😛........:unsure:

So, I have 5 light weight DX Mambas. One of them is 147g, and I throw it well 3/4 of the time. I throw it on a hyzer angle, it flips up to flat, and generally goes about 225-245 feet fairly straight, with a gentle fade at the end. The other four, weights 132, 145, 146, and 146, are very inconsistent. I try to throw them on the same hyzer angle, but they will often flip up to flat, then keep flipping over into rollers, and just as often fail to flip up, and fade hard left. When they do flip up to flat and go straight, they don't get nearly the pretty flight and distance the 147g disc gets. Not a one time thing - same pattern for several field sessions now. I am going to bag the 147g as one of my primary distance discs, while the other four - getting so I hate to even throw them in practice right now! Mambas or me, and how or why??? Thanks for any input!
I don't think I would really ever recommend lightweight DX Mambas to a new player. While they will yield some distance results, they are not likely to send you down the correct technique path. I am not sure where you would go to for an understable driver from there. Learning to throw stable plastic on stable lines is going to allow for maximum growth. Lightweight discs are valuable [I throw a few myself], but depending on finding/replacing lightweight stuff is a real challenge. Just an old guy's opinion.

Height, speed and release angle is everything for the Mamba. Honestly ditch the DX altogether. Get star and g-star in the same weight ranges, and enjoy many years of what the Mamba is meant for.
Distance.

Some of the halo ones are pretty stable as well, good for low-canopy fairways. I think they're $12 for F2s right now

Thanks all for the input! I just played - loving this one DX Mamba! I had 3 of my longest, best tee shots ever. About 230-250', hyzer flip to flat, straight, smooth. Two of them were on a hole that goes out about 200', then dog legs right another 60' or so, plus, extra distance helps, because the dog leg is full of trees at the turn, but clear if you get further straight out. Both times I got my Mamba straight, past the dog leg, and even kept turning a bit for me towards the pin. Left me a 60' clean putt, which is about the best any of us ever do on that hole, but the second round, left me a 40' putt - best birdie look any of my group ever gets on that hole. I did not birdie it today - par/par - but now I feel sure it is just a matter of time before I get one! Also, if I look for about the same weight in better plastic, what is most likely to get me one that works like this one disc, and not like the other four???! Just dumb luck, try until I get one? Another one of these, that stays this way, changes my game for now. We throw two discs each, play from the best one, so I can throw two, plus I want a back up in case I lose this one, or it changes on me. Right now, this thing is way more consistent than my other distance discs - light weight Terns - while my other Mambas are not nearly as good as my Terns. Seems crazy!

F2 Friday - gonna be looking at some more Mambas - hoping to duplicate this thing!

250 with a Mamba? How far are you able to throw a midrange?
You will more than likely NOT like the advice I'm about to give. Because, it involves taking the Mamba, and all high speed drivers out of your bag until next spring.

Side note: Innova has in the past produced a "stabilized" version of Mambas in Champion plastic that were more stable than your typical ones in Champ plastic. I don't know exactly what was done to these, but once they sold out they removed the page. But these would be something to consider if you see them again. Also there is the Infinite Discs Maya which is a Tern flight plate with a Mamba rim that is slightly more stable, but otherwise is very much like a Mamba and should feel just like one in the hand.

Side note: Innova has in the past produced a "stabilized" version of Mambas in Champion plastic that were more stable than your typical ones in Champ plastic. I don't know exactly what was done to these, but once they sold out they removed the page. But these would be something to consider if you see them again. Also there is the Infinite Discs Maya which is a Tern flight plate with a Mamba rim that is slightly more stable, but otherwise is very much like a Mamba and should feel just like one in the hand.
The Mamba bottom also did time as the TD2 in their Discmania manufactured by Innova days.

250 with a Mamba? How far are you able to throw a midrange?
You will more than likely NOT like the advice I'm about to give. Because, it involves taking the Mamba, and all high speed drivers out of your bag until next spring.
You are right! I can't throw mid ranges or putters worth a crap with a power grip. I fan grip putters, and I can use my Watt for a pretty good approach shot out to probably 125', maybe 150' - not sure exactly how far yet. I need to get a measure on it at the practice field so I know what distance it works from. Playing two discs, throw from best one, if it is too long for my other putters, but Watt might reach it, I try Watt. If I come up short, I go to a fairway driver, stand still, and can usually put one close enough to make the putt. My short game and putting is pretty solid - my distance is crap. I keep working on my form, but no way I am going to the course and throwing mids and putters like crap - I would have zero fun playing. I love throwing the one Mamba. I am 54 years old, playing 4 months - I will never be turning pro or anything. I want to improve, of course, and I study the game and practice a lot, and play 2-3 times a week, but the game has to be fun or I won't play. Hopefully I clean up my form enough to get snap, and eventually be able to throw mids and putters with a power grip, but for now, I bag no mids, and my longest putter approach shot is the fan grip on my Watt. I continue to improve, eek out more distance, more consistency, two steps forward, and one back… But, bagging only mids is not gonna happen until/unless I can throw them a whole lot better than I can right now - that would frustrate me into quitting before I could finish one round! I study, take video every month or so, and try to find and correct what is wrong - getting there. First time, I was throwing about waist high, and rounding constantly. Second time, starting my throw too soon - before my plant foot landed. Third time - last week - I need to get better at leading with my hips/shoulders, lengthen my throw (better reach back), and make sure I get the spin follow through. Takes time - I have made a ton of progress already. I mean, after 1-2 months, I was maxing at 175-200', and less consistent. Now I max 225-250', most discs I regularly get 200' plus, and I mostly know what I need to work on right now to keep improving.

Took this up as a way to spend time with my 16 year old son, and get him off his tablet. We are having fun, we are improving, and it is working. My son throws stand still, and about 275'. He throws smoother and straighter than me, but I make up most of it with better approach shots and putting. Lately, he normally beats me by a stroke every nine holes.

Maya looks really interesting, but so far I can't find it in a light enough weight for me. It is one I can keep an eye out for.

Height, speed and release angle is everything for the Mamba. Honestly ditch the DX altogether. Get star and g-star in the same weight ranges, and enjoy many years of what the Mamba is meant for.
Distance.
At least on Innova site, DX is the only plastic that they have discs in the 145-150g range. It looks like every other plastic starts in weights too heavy for me. Ugh. I have to try just the Mambas at the practice field for a bit - see what exactly I can get out of the other ones I have. I normally throw them with a bunch of other discs, and don't pay quite enough attention to them except to know to throw them on hyzer angle, and notice the one that I was suddenly throwing really well, and wondering why I wasn't able to throw the others nearly as well. Maybe specific ones need more or less hyzer? Other than that, for now, maybe I order a few more F2 DX, only $6 each, and see if I can find another magic flyer. Sadly, I can't even pick 147g - they just sell them as a range, 145-149g. Ugh.

Probably both.

High speed, flippy discs are just inconsistent by nature. It's mainly about the nose angle. Get it down and you get big turn. Throw even slightly nose up and you get little to no turn. Mambas were made to be super flippy in premium plastic, so when you do get the nose down, those lightweight, DX mambas are gonna be uncontrollable flip city. I'm guessing the one oddball you have has a different plh from the rest of your stack, but not sure.

I love DX, but use more durable plastic past speed 7 or so. Those wide rim drivers just don't hold up in the cheap plastic. I sliced all the way through the rim of a brand new dx wraith years ago. Oak tree collision on the very first throw. Pro plastic holds up much better.
PLH - parting line height. I had to look that one up - do a little research. Lol. Just eyeballing them, I can't tell any difference. They all look the same to me. But, next practice field work, I will only take the 5 Mambas, pay closer attention - see if I can figure out how to make some of the others work better for me. Pretty sure one of the two white ones, not sure which, flips up, flat, then flips over into the ground. Guessing with that one, I need to give it more hyzer angle to compensate for it turning harder. See what they do, one by one, see if I have a consistent issue with any of them, and if I can correct it. I am sure I am part of the issue. As I improve, I routinely take 20-30-40 discs to the field and throw them all, and see if I do better with any or all of them (that is how I suddenly 'discovered' this one Mamba jumping out ahead of the pack)! It just went from not even making my bag, to being my new favorite disc - BAM!!! I did get decent new distance at first with one of the other Mambas (when I was maxing at 200') - that plus the $6 F2 DX price is why I bought 4 more - but I was not real consistent with it, and when I got my Terns and Fission Wave they easily beat out all of the Mambas, until now.

At least on Innova site, DX is the only plastic that they have discs in the 145-150g range. It looks like every other plastic starts in weights too heavy for me. Ugh. I have to try just the Mambas at the practice field for a bit - see what exactly I can get out of the other ones I have. I normally throw them with a bunch of other discs, and don't pay quite enough attention to them except to know to throw them on hyzer angle, and notice the one that I was suddenly throwing really well, and wondering why I wasn't able to throw the others nearly as well. Maybe specific ones need more or less hyzer? Other than that, for now, maybe I order a few more F2 DX, only $6 each, and see if I can find another magic flyer. Sadly, I can't even pick 147g - they just sell them as a range, 145-149g. Ugh.
I wouldn't load up on super light super understable discs if you already have some. Unless you have a range of motion injury odds are just playing and practicing will inevitably lead you to being able to eclipse the utility of those discs.

One day you'll be in the field or on the course and you'll try throwing slower or something and boom the 150 dx mamba will become a roller, and then you'll try to throw it again and it will burn over, then you'll go back and forth being able to make them work until you get frustrated and you'll need to dig through your stash for heavier or more stable discs. It's also why people are going to reccomend putters and mids to do field work with because they fly well for people who throw 200 or 600.

Keep checking back on the F2 site for the 145-150g range, likely they'll restock.
I've kept a Star Mamba in the bag for the past 3 1/2 years, and remember trying a DX sometime after that. Wasn't happy with the distance on the DX and not consistent, so goodbye to it. Star Mamba different story, currently in the bag a fresh 161g for the first time today getting some nice turn skip, and fade skip moderately wooded course compact fairways, low level flight. We have about 20 mph wind coming in Friday, to catch those tailwinds out with the 161g, and in with a fresh 148g for the upcoming high wind season. The 148g third wind season will fly on a turn flip.

But it has taken form building going on almost three years. Starting with standstill putters, one-step two years ago, and x-step last year. By the time the wind season arrived last year (20-45 mph last year on at least 20 course visits over 7 months), I had my whip moving, at this time working on a 3-step this year the whip is not there yet, still need more time on the practice field, if the first few holes don't work out 3-step, I'll use the x-step so Friday isn't wasted.

Last year early summer I started flipping my bag over to MVP/Axiom from putter to 11-speed the Star Mamba is the only survivor to remain from what used to be mostly Innova, and consistently my furthest flying disc, but can also be unpredictable, need lots of lateral space. For Friday out with a beat in Fission Wave 153g, in with a fresh Fission Wave 148g for more stability on tailwinds for narrower fairways. Both last year's fission Wave, and Star Mamba 149g all tailwinds. Again, I've spent a lot of time form building to get mostly good results, still some crap throws, and fun! Headwinds and crosswinds, different story 12-14 speeds just about all Innova's heavier 163-172g. All of my putters thru other 11-speeds 167g-179g.