• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Categorizing release angle ranges

Here's an example of a collapsed upper arm to shoulder from someone swinging a bat. No idea who this is, but isn't that weird? Maybe it's just how it's done, but man, it makes my shoulder sore just looking at it!

View attachment 331332

Looks like Ken Griffey Jr. He's widely regarded as having one of the prettiest lefty swings. Effortless power, even before he bulked up. I'm too lazy to find and link a vid, but it would be worth it to see more than just the one frame of one swing.

You got to keep in mind with baseball, that due to the hitter not knowing exactly where or when the ball will cross the plate, hitters need to adjust their swings from the ideal to make solid contact. Imagine needing to vary the timing and angles of your dg swing for each throw and you can only guess ahead of time.

I'm actually not consciously trying to rotate my hips.
In your video's your actively squishing the bug vs driving with the brace which is what is causing you to over rotate way early.
This is what causes your rounding.

Anyone know if Coach T has a forum?
He might do really well over in that group.
Like Superstar status.

@RowingBoats At 14:13 is an example of worse rounding in my mind

Collapsed PLUS elbow down and a narrow reach back compared to initially a wider reach back but then collapse but with the elbow up and then reaching something closer to a typical power pocket. This example seems like it's further from being fixed and would be harder to fix. He'd prob kick my ass in a scoring round tho :ROFLMAO:

Rebecca Cox has the worst rounding of any pro (that I've seen), though she's working on it. Drew Gibson has done that a few times that I've seen in his throw, and one of the pics in the Fundamentals of Backhand Form pdf. (originally sourced from these forums) It's not common, but it does happen, if briefly. I don't think it's causing harm or impingement in these cases, given these pros have been doing it for so long. I do think in the case of Cox she's probably incurred some harm due to it, since it's so severe.

I think its important to note, since Cox was brought up.
Still best hair in disc golf though.
I digress.

We need to identify it by the root cause, not the result. This is a collapsed shoulder throw.

A majority of your women throw like cox with a collapsed shoulder. There are a few guys who do it. You "can" throw successfully this way and get fair distance. Cox does throw pretty far for an FPO player.

Problem with collapsed shoulder throwing is that its SUPER hard on your shoulder. insanely damaging to it.

The women claim the "have" to throw like this cause their Boobs are in the way.
Val Jenkins disagrees.

I don't really consider these throwing styles "rounding" styles of throwing for the sole purpose that the core of all of it is a collapsed shoulder. A lot of players who drag the disc around them rounding from the backswing position are still trying to get into a pocket and get back in time, but might have or have not collapsed the shoulder.

The collapsed shoulder throw is essentially, backswing, shoulder collapses, arm stays straight whole throw, you over rotate through the shot slinging the arm out putting all the strain on your shoulder. You never pocket the disc.

The backswing rounders get the disc behind them instead of on line or outside of the line, then have to "pull" the disc into the pocket around their body because they never left enough space to get the disc in.

Then again, I'm not even sure why I'm responding at this point.. I'm just over here talking and nobody listening. hahaha.

Here's an example of a collapsed upper arm to shoulder from someone swinging a bat. No idea who this is, but isn't that weird? Maybe it's just how it's done, but man, it makes my shoulder sore just looking at it!

View attachment 331332
We do have to remember that we are spreading the load on 2 hands vs 1, so while some mechanics stay the same to drive energy, other mechanics have to give.

I use the ball golf swing a lot because this is the swing that I have the most experience with teaching and doing vs .. lets say, swinging a bat. I did play a lot of baseball and was a good hitter, but I never had to "think" about how to hit the ball far, I just did.

I did, however, have to work on swinging a golf club properly. And when I try and think about baseball swings now, its a bit weird with how golf swings work, because were trying to commit to some of the same body postures in both fields, but because we have a second hand on the object, it's a back and forth between both arms and sharing the burden load on the body and a few other things.

I think in disc golf as well, because were not really looking at 2 hand leverage, it's kind of a longer process from start to finish to swing the disc, vs lets say "swing the club"

were trying to generate energy in disc golf for a longer period of time because of the process, while in baseball or golf, were trying to generate energy for a period of time to transfer it into the extended lever, then that lever continues the process, while we guide it through.
You dont get that in disc golf.

I'm rambling. blah.

View attachment 331332

Looks like Ken Griffey Jr. He's widely regarded as having one of the prettiest lefty swings. Effortless power, even before he bulked up. I'm too lazy to find and link a vid, but it would be worth it to see more than just the one frame of one swing.

You got to keep in mind with baseball, that due to the hitter not knowing exactly where or when the ball will cross the plate, hitters need to adjust their swings from the ideal to make solid contact. Imagine needing to vary the timing and angles of your dg swing for each throw and you can only guess ahead of time.
Hopefully this seems internally clear:

I spent some time on my hiatus studying baseball a lot because it's one of the only places where you see swings and throws together, significant money in developing players, and a recent spike in effectiveness in applied science on both the throwing and swinging end. I also started doing Weck Method stuff with the long handled clubs and was trying to understand how the fastest swings related to throws.

I think in addition to the unpredictability of the pitch and real time adjustments a batter makes (which still blow my mind after a batting cage session with even 80mph and 90mph pitches), there is the two rather than one handed swing, intended trajectory/apex of the ball, and weight being concentrated at the end of a very long lever (the bat).

That's part of why I wouldn't just look at the exact angles like Gibsons arm to determine collapse, because to me collapse is now a dynamic concept and the exact angles contain a bit of variability we can predict, and a bit of chaos in an organic move. I think that is an idea I started to learn from Sidewinder and continue to explore. As long as there is still sufficient resistance to collapse and enough space for a move in the tilted axis, you can throw pretty far or hit one out of the park. So I am not entirely sure that Gibson or Griffey are outside an acceptable range or collapse if those ideas are sound. But some of the variability explains some of the differences between 400, 500, 600 ft throws.

That is why in Neil's case I was trying to hint at the bigger fish to fry in posture, and emphasize that "once collapsed, hard to recover." The angles are worth noticing and talking about, but I was mostly concerned about the nature of the actual motion, and why the Clement video always comes to mind for me. Since this is one of the things my arm encoded early on and I keep discovering it in othe contexts, I see it almost immediately when a player isn't doing it.

So as a coaching point, I'm still fully sold on weighted lever work. Learning to swing them faster and faster in a tilted axis through the contact/release point without flying off balance can help.

That's interesting, yeah maybe Drew can handle collapsing to 77 degrees without it having a big negative effect but most players who get to that point would probably collapse further, and maybe Drew's absolute biggest bombs are the ones where he engaged the resistance to collapse sooner and prevents that from happening.

But this to me makes me think that if you get a very minor collapse that you recover from you probably lose some power but it's not suddenly broken the whole system until a certain threshold where it all goes to shit.

I mostly track with this. I would just emphasize that if Gibson isn't resisting to some degree throughout the whole move, he would have a dramatic drop in power. So many players have trouble doing this at all and especially as they add momentum that it's usually worth training - a lot. I've seen some players try for months and never get it, especially when they get distracted by something else.

Just finished the video, good one.

What do I need to look into / watch for this? I don't have a clear idea what the issue / fix is from just this.
Revisit Sidewinder's tips starting here:

Also recommend his Power of Posture, Door Frame, Load the Bow, and Turbo Encabulator series for you sometime soon. But my advice in general is to do what he started you with until you don't have a problem doing it without thinking anymore.

One other thing that has started to interest me in baseball mechanics + theory.

There is some renewed controversy over concepts like "Staying back" vs. the "drift and drop" that I wanted to revisit after some lively discussions elsewhere.

Some people attribute the increased ability of batters to keep up (-ish) with 95-100mph throwers has to do with adjustments to their posture and sequence that (1) load back with more emphasis on the drive leg and coiling and (2) actually drive more abruptly into the plant. In other words, they are emphasizing a slightly different philosophy than some of the golf and baseball theory we often have shared around here. Part of the thinking is that they are attempting to create more perceptual ability and time to adjust to flamethrowers. They are still doing the "drift and drop" as you see described in many places on DGCR, and they are generating a lot of the power from the weight shift and tilted swing axis. However, they are placing a greater emphasis on separation in the sequence starting with the backswing, and more effort through the legs. I now think this describes some of the differences in e.g., McBeth vs. Wiggins' form.

It is not clear to me that this instruction is ideal and may be problematic for beginners, but it's out there at the top level. I would also argue that it is a secondary goal after getting a player to move better and get after the main goals for mastering momentum in the first place, and it is never a bad idea to prioritize efficiency.

Watch Bryce Harper at various stages (especially when young) vs. Ken Griffey Jr. and you can get a visual sense for what I'm saying.

On any controversy about mechanics, I would be interested to see how Griffey would fare today - I imagine he'd still be pretty good, and I remain happy to learn from his efficiency. The good news for throwing is that you don't usually have to hit the disc with your arm after someone throws it at you :)

In your video's your actively squishing the bug vs driving with the brace which is what is causing you to over rotate way early.
This is what causes your rounding.

Anyone know if Coach T has a forum?
He might do really well over in that group.
Like Superstar status.
So try drive weight forward into brace more as a cue? I used to lean back too much when coiling which SW pointed out a while ago and I improved that by looking at how much of body crosses a vertical line up from back foot, but I probably stopped short. I've thought about trying a wider brace for a more diagonal brace leg angle so I can drive more into it.

I think its important to note, since Cox was brought up.
Still best hair in disc golf though.
I digress.

We need to identify it by the root cause, not the result. This is a collapsed shoulder throw.

A majority of your women throw like cox with a collapsed shoulder. There are a few guys who do it. You "can" throw successfully this way and get fair distance. Cox does throw pretty far for an FPO player.

Problem with collapsed shoulder throwing is that its SUPER hard on your shoulder. insanely damaging to it.

The women claim the "have" to throw like this cause their Boobs are in the way.
Val Jenkins disagrees.

I don't really consider these throwing styles "rounding" styles of throwing for the sole purpose that the core of all of it is a collapsed shoulder. A lot of players who drag the disc around them rounding from the backswing position are still trying to get into a pocket and get back in time, but might have or have not collapsed the shoulder.

The collapsed shoulder throw is essentially, backswing, shoulder collapses, arm stays straight whole throw, you over rotate through the shot slinging the arm out putting all the strain on your shoulder. You never pocket the disc.

The backswing rounders get the disc behind them instead of on line or outside of the line, then have to "pull" the disc into the pocket around their body because they never left enough space to get the disc in.

Then again, I'm not even sure why I'm responding at this point.. I'm just over here talking and nobody listening. hahaha.
I'm reading, lol. It's interesting, I'm still trying to figure out how much is under the rounding umbrella term.

So for you, collapsed shoulder is not automatically rounding unless the disc is trapped behind body?

I think this from needs a stickied dictionary post (is there one? I'd read it) where the most active form gurus agree on a definition. Seems like there's a lot of assembling around terms that SW popularized but also seems like a lot of people may have some amount of differences in opinion.

Maybe rounding should be broken into a couple types.

I'm reading, lol. It's interesting, I'm still trying to figure out how much is under the rounding umbrella term.

So for you, collapsed shoulder is not automatically rounding unless the disc is trapped behind body?

I think this from needs a stickied dictionary post (is there one? I'd read it) where the most active form gurus agree on a definition. Seems like there's a lot of assembling around terms that SW popularized but also seems like a lot of people may have some amount of differences in opinion.

Ya, this definitely has diverged way too much from the original thread title haha.

There are interesting discussions to have about this I think. And as proficiency goes up, there probably is room to bend rules. Most of what I am saying is based on what got me through a lot of misconceptions, and I don't think it is the right idea to be overly nuanced about this when learning. It is better to over emphasize the more correct ideas to make sure you FEEL why these things even matter at all. At least that is how I ended up discarding a lot of the incorrect, but intuitive notions I had about what I was trying to do.

Probably another thread would be best to continue this. I definitely didn't help keep it super on track lol, but I can see why it branched out this way at the same time.

So try drive weight forward into brace more as a cue? I used to lean back too much when coiling which SW pointed out a while ago and I improved that by looking at how much of body crosses a vertical line up from back foot, but I probably stopped short. I've thought about trying a wider brace for a more diagonal brace leg angle so I can drive more into it.
Same concepts as here, but adjusted for the backhand. In general I would focus more on the efficient leverage and drift + drop before you worry about "driving". Any additional "driving" tends to work much better after you master the first thing. Let your body mass and posture and gravity do a lot of work first. Also seabas22 Hershyzer drills on YouTube are Sidewinder's adaptation of this idea.

Ditto about thread drift (but that's part of what we seem love around here ;-) )

Last edited:
As an old. Here's how I know I am rounding. My shoulder and arm will feel it immediately, because I used the strength of muscle to try to throw. How I know I am not. I will be slow, and it will feel effortless, and it will have gone at least 40' further than what I rounded previously. It'll probably also be more accurate by a big measure. Because I will have taken the time to generate the kinds of rotation necessary to create coil to hit the release point.

Same concepts as here, but adjusted for the backhand. In general I would focus more on the efficient leverage and drift + drop before you worry about "driving". Any additional "driving" tends to work much better after you master the first thing. Let your body mass and posture and gravity do a lot of work first. Also seabas22 Hershyzer drills on YouTube are Sidewinder's adaptation of this idea.

Ditto about thread drift (but that's part of what we seem love around here ;-) )

Great video, this tracks with Leon's explanation to me of pushing horizontally with the brace foot against the ground with the forward momentum instead of down into the ground. I was experimenting with this a bit but stopped short b/c I didn't want to over-do it and crash over my brace or be too violent and had other important things to work on, but now I think it would be good to try this cue along with driving my elbow sooner to not allow arm lag to collapse.

Also, I've noticed in the past when I tried to focus on more forward weight transfer that I tend to throw a lower launch angle, which means I can gain more benefits from a lower reach back without throwing high unless I do an even lower reach back. Maybe this is why pros say to reach back low and never seem to clarify how that would work when trying to throw a low launch angle.

And yeah, ideally being more organized with threads is better, but I'd hate to ruin the momentum of a good discussion by trying to force it to move.

Great video, this tracks with Leon's explanation to me of pushing horizontally with the brace foot against the ground with the forward momentum instead of down into the ground. I was experimenting with this a bit but stopped short b/c I didn't want to over-do it and crash over my brace or be too violent and had other important things to work on, but now I think it would be good to try this cue along with driving my elbow sooner to not allow arm lag to collapse.

Also, I've noticed in the past when I tried to focus on more forward weight transfer that I tend to throw a lower launch angle, which means I can gain more benefits from a lower reach back without throwing high unless I do an even lower reach back. Maybe this is why pros say to reach back low and never seem to clarify how that would work when trying to throw a low launch angle.

And yeah, ideally being more organized with threads is better, but I'd hate to ruin the momentum of a good discussion by trying to force it to move.
Reaching back or backswinging low(ish) has a few learning benefits IMO because:

1. It's more likely the developing player will use more sidebend and better core & lat recruitment (door frame drills/load the bow).
2. When they shift forward, it's usually easier to find the "Ride the Bull" move in posture like I shared earlier.
3. They often realize faster that they can just relax the backswing.
4. They can do crossover training with certain heavier objects and more intuitively learn the best moves.
5. They're more likely to recruit their center of mass in the throw without decoupling their arm from their body/rounding.

Some players also physically have less space to use higher backswings in good posture and permanently use low backswings, or a backswing that transitions through a low "slot" (at least for drives).

This is also part of what "feels" bizarre to a lot of people at first. A lower backswing can help players find the gravity low-effort effect, which feels "wrong" because it's so much easier. Also keep in mind that many shots are also on a higher trajectory or apex using the disc characteristics to their maximum potential. Another thing Sidewinder was keen to share early on:

1706204060475.png

Last edited:

The power side of the swing is started from the weight shift and the brace. The swing is not started from trying to spin our back leg in and squish the bug throwing our hips into the shot.

When you set your body up properly in the backswing and have it loaded, when you brace, your body will naturally uncoil and generate tremendous amounts of power with almost no effort.

When we try and introduce things like squish the bug. And maybe you're not familiar with this as ... I had no clue what it meant forever... But it's where you try and drive rotation with your rear leg by spinning it in. This will cause your hips to rotate really fast, but destroys your brace and causes over rotation and bad timing.

So, if you over rotate your hips early, your shoulders will over rotate, then you will round and throw late. Which is a form of rounding.

You have to remember the swing builds from the brace, actions that try and "spin" you faster are going to destroy the swing power and kill the swing and cause timing issues. This is why things like the double move work, but are bad. same with squish the bug, you can throw with both of these methods fairly successfully, but you're looking at higher injury issues, and you're using high effort low efficiency methods to throw that are far harder to keep in time.

When it comes to some of this stuff, we all have our own.. views on it, but generally stay in the same ball parkish in here. I get a bit more technical on some other things as I want to put really more proper better definitions to them vs continuing with poor descriptors.

I think with rounding there was a small effort to try and justify some swing types by trying not to say the "pro" was rounding. ... well, everyone wants to justify something I guess. I'm just looking to try and call it more accurately.

If we collapse the shoulder and the disc is behind us and behind us on timing and has to come around us, this is the most classic definition of rounding. Because were "bringing the disc around us" vs keeping space and getting the disc in the more "out in out" pattern.

If were looking at over rotation in the shoulders and the hit comes late, that's rounding as well. Because while we might show the disc and our posture to the target in the back swing, the "out" position. When we come in to the pocket, we have already rounded passed the target line and never technically come back out on to the target line again rounding passed it. This is what you're doing. It's over rotation causing a late release which is the more technical way to say it. but I still consider it rounding, because while the actual disc golf throw isn't a linear line like ... people taught for years, our baseline down the target line still "is" linear. So you round off it and throw late. because at some point you're still pulling the disc around you vs driving the disc down the target line.

Good lord, do I always sound this complicated when I explain things?
my coffee cup is empty too. and I'm almost out of coffee.

Ya, this definitely has diverged way too much from the original thread title haha.

A fortunate unfortunate.

I think the main idea which got it off topic was to point out to first collect good data to put the plan in to use that the base of the swing needed to be further into spec to make the data more usable.

So, if you have a really out of time swing, that data might show up looking fine on tech disc and what not, but not become real world practical in any sense with an out of time swing.
Thus if the swing was to clean up over time, the data would quickly become incorrect.

Which took us into "small changes in form have drastic effects"
Which is true. But if you're on a baseline with data, you'll have better results.

Some people attribute the increased ability of batters to keep up (-ish) with 95-100mph throwers has to do with adjustments to their posture and sequence that (1) load back with more emphasis on the drive leg and coiling and (2) actually drive more abruptly into the plant. In other

Totally off topic, but MLB batters have more data input than just watching the ball, probably from the pitcher's body language. Barry Bonds talked a lot of trash about how easy it would be to hit Jenny Finch's pitches (female softball pitcher, throws mid 60s) but he couldn't get a bat on any of them.

We now return you to an interesting thread with a lot of good stuff in it.

Totally off topic, but MLB batters have more data input than just watching the ball, probably from the pitcher's body language. Barry Bonds talked a lot of trash about how easy it would be to hit Jenny Finch's pitches (female softball pitcher, throws mid 60s) but he couldn't get a bat on any of them.

We now return you to an interesting thread with a lot of good stuff in it.
True, also a lot of video, scouting, and coaching input into pitchers' tendencies, and probably a lot of automaticity about the timing between release and contact for a given pitch speed.

The more I think about it, I'm grateful to just be throwing the shit rather than also dealing with all of that.

Fistbump for Jenny Finch reference.

Latest posts