• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Change in putters

Drakeab

Par Member
Hey guys,

I have such a tough time throwing putters off the teens really for any shot other than putting... I think the change of grip is what gets me. With my mids I feel like it is more of a slope on the rim and the putter it is more like a wall... The putters I have are aviar, ssswizard, and pig. Are there any putters out there that offer more of a sloped rim? Or do I need to just find a way to feel the putters I have?

Any tips?

Thanks!

I'd try the XD or the Pure. Ion and Anode are good discs, but they have a rim that is the 'wall' you mentioned plus a rounded part. Might bother you. Or try one of each, and trade the rest. Spike is similar to XD and might work for you too.

Would recommend any vibram putter for driving "ridge", gateway wizard, if can find esp banger gt, innova rhyno, and kc aviar. all good driving putters slight fan grip only power grip will cause problems.

Hey guys,

I have such a tough time throwing putters off the teens really for any shot other than putting... I think the change of grip is what gets me. With my mids I feel like it is more of a slope on the rim and the putter it is more like a wall... The putters I have are aviar, ssswizard, and pig. Are there any putters out there that offer more of a sloped rim? Or do I need to just find a way to feel the putters I have?

Any tips?

Thanks!

That's your problem right there! You need to find a smoother surface, so you don't trip. :D

As for the putters themselves, I would say go to a shop and feel up all their putters and see what you like in terms of the walls. I use a Champ Rhyno to drive, but the wall is pretty |. I would even say check out different plastics of the same disc, the walls will be the same, but you may find you like the change of plastic.

I have such a tough time throwing putters off the teens

That's illegal in many states ... ALL of them depending on how early in the teens you go! :gross:

ANYWAY ... the different plastics in the wizard might be the trick. the SSS's and on can be pretty "tacky" and grippy. you might try a medium (VERY STIFF) or an S or SS that's chalky instead of grippy. Gateway also makes a G9 version of the wizard that's been haild as one of the greatest driving putters of all time. I'm sure others would disagree but it IS definately the best driving "Wizard" of all time for sure. The Ridge isn't a bad one to try out either as it will feel similarly to your wizard in hand with a different feel as it's rubber.

Or do I need to just find a way to feel the putters I have?
I'd try to do that. I had trouble with that as well. You just have to realize that putters will feel different when you grip them, but if you still keep all of the important aspects of your grip in tact then it won't matter. For me it was getting it out of my head that my fingers had to touch the underside of the flight plate. I was trying to do that and it threw everything else off. Once I just focused on what's important and then used whatever grip fit all the criteria I started getting much better results.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/resources/articles/gripittoripit.shtml

I have done much better driving with the pure/ion. The pure has a shallower rim and may make it easier to get out of the hand. The ion/anode may be worth a feel, the rim is different on the bottom its curved at the flight plate, may be more comfortable to grip and rip. YMMV

I had a tough time driving with putters when I first started DG. I kept trying to find that magical driving putter until I realized there wasn't one. I would just go in the yard and throw putters from one end to the other. I do grip putters differently depending on the rim. Some I have to fan out more and some I can pinch the inside of the rim comfortably. Just find the sweet spot for the putters you have. Also remember that it takes very clean form to drive a putter and practice a good realease with a nice accelerated snap. They also need a little more height. I use a champ XD to drive with. It has a nice shallow plus rim. If you feel comfortable with that style most people have already suggested the best. Zone, Rhyno, XD, Pure, Spike,

Instead of a straight up power grip, try driving with a stack fork grip (http://www.innovadiscs.com/home/daves-tips/daves-grip-tips.html). I had huge issues with putter driving for distance until I started using a varient of that grip. Mine has the pinky, ring, and middle fingers literally on top of each other so that the middle and ring finger feel like they're gripping a thicker rim (which is actually the rim plus my pinky).

Hey guys,

Any tips?

Thanks!

Have you given yourself a chance to try different grips? Meaning, gone to a field and thrown the disc 100 times? How is the flight of the putters when you do throw them or is it really the feel of the disc in your hand?

Everyone on this thread is wrong...
Get a vibram. those putters kick ass.
The VP is super overstable with pretty much no glide for windy days, and the Sole is good for non windy ones (it has plenty of glide).

I think you just need to keep improving on your form and power...

I can't believe no one has mentioned this for a Driving Putter.

The Discraft Banger GT.

This disc works great for drives because of the groove on top of the disc.Your thumb fits right into the groove and the way the underside of the disc feels,you think you are throwing a Mid.It just has comfort written all over it.

If you have a shop around you that has them check them out.They make them in a stiffer plastic or if you like a firm,but grippy one, they also make the Soft Banger GT.

It's a great driving putter and I think you will like it.

Latest posts