• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Change of plans, heading to Asheville, NC

roadtripstuff

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
We were planning on heading up to Michigan this weekend, but due to some lodging issues, being such short noticed we changed the plans. We are going to head down to Smokey Mountain National Park and then into Asheville, NC to play some courses. We are getting together a list now, any suggestions of courses in this area would be helpful.

Here are the courses near your destination that are sure to please:
Great Smokey Mtn area - Fontana Dam Resort - have not played but have heard great things 1st hand from people I trust who have.
Asheville NC area - Richmond Hill, Mars Hill
Johnson City & Bristol TN area - Warriors Path & Fossil Hill (private - call ahead)
The High Country DGC in West Jefferson, NC is a must play, but is out of the way.

Here are the so-so's:
JC & Bristol - Winged Deer (original 9 holes are awesome!)
Knoxville - Victor Ash, Morningside

Here are ones that you should avoid unless you are trying to boost your courses played count:
Knoxville - Admiral Farragut
JC & Bristol - Borden
Asheville - Crookston (9 holes)

I have not played these 18 holers - Haywood Community College & Waynesville in NC or Morristown Kiwanis in TN

Have fun - I'm jealous!

Climb Mt LeConte via Alum Bluff Cave Trail if at all possible. It is awesome!

Dave_Leconte.jpg

Fontana Dam is well worth the visit. Assuming you're driving through Smoky Mountain National Park, you'll want to route Fontana when you reach the NC (Cherokee) side....it's pretty remote, but way out of the way if you have to double back from, say, Asheville.

The drive from Tellico to Fontana is world-class-scenic.
I would not waste anytime in Knoxville.
If you want a nice Appalachian disc golf meal, hit Richmond Hill for breakfast, Sugaree for lunch and High Country for dinner.
For an added scenery bonus, connect them with Blue Ridge Parkway.
The only problem is High Country is having their annual tourney this weekend.

Last edited: