• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Charlotte Bachelor Party

I think I would rent the cottage/course at Wintersun and take a trip up to Sugaree and Ashe Co. You would be closer to Asheville than Charlotte which is probably better for music and beer, but could still take a trip to Charlotte easily. Charlotte courses are good, but kind of overrated IMO.
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=9942

That looks pretty damn nice but we are going to have a few too many for a cottage.

That looks pretty damn nice but we are going to have a few too many for a cottage.
Cottage plus the Inn sleeps 18 people.

*Need more space? For more bedrooms and a larger house please see our other property at Wintersun called the Wintersun Estate on VRBO.com

Nice indeed but maybe next time.

We ended up with a place in the Mint Hill area.

Planning to hit Rolling Pines on the way down to break up the drive. Thinking Hornets Nest and Nevin one day and Renny/Canaan another but maybe scrap one of those for a Scrapyard day given the proximity and friendliness with a mixed skill bunch.

Pour 64 looks super close to us, how's that place?

Seaboard/Carolina Beer Temple/Jekyll & Hyde are close and seem like a decent place to go and hop around, any good?

Edge City also on that side of town.

Any must have eats over that way?

I would suggest Mayflower Hills or Ashe County over Rolling Pines on way down.

Ashe County is or was the top rated public course in NC, it's got some epic holes and is beautiful. It will likely be the highlight of your trip, unless you go to Sugaree or some other private course.

Rolling Pines is a bit over-rated IMO for above average park golf with some decent elevation. I had issues with slipping on the teepads and the industrial scenery on the back is not that great, and you don't feel any kind of seclusion on the course, it's kind of cramped.

Mayflower Hills is probably the best public course in VA. It was in really good shape when I played two years ago, before the concrete tees were put in. Hands down better than Rolling Pines, but not quite as epic as Ashe Co.

Word? Initially I was looking at Mayflower but Rolling Pines looked more mature/refined, you like Mayflower better? I'll look into Ashe County.

Golf-wise I think the difference between MH and RP are fairly marginal but MH is in a much prettier location.

Piggy backing on this thread, my buddy and I are going to be visiting Charlotte in a week or so. Gotten lots of good info from this thread and others and have a shortlist of courses to go off of. I'm wondering about Renny though. Ever since seeing the Clash DVD from years ago, I've wanted to visit Renny, however from looking at some reviews here and on udisc, it sounds like it's kind of fallen into disrepair. We're both up for a tough course, but if it's all overgrown and a disc eater, that doesn't sound like a whole lot of fun. Is Renny still worth playing, or would we have more fun just skipping it and playing one of the other bajillion courses in the area?

Also, side note, any courses to avoid this time of year due to muddy conditions or anything?

Renny is more forgiving now than it has ever been. I play there fairly regularly - it is good to go.

It will eat discs, but no more or less than anywhere else. There's really only one spot you can't go very deep into due to the swampiness. That's the downhill dogleg left on #9 (talking Renny Grey here). If you're not careful with disc selection, you could flip up and head straight out into that mess, and it's basically a lost cause in there. But that also depends on recent rain. It's been seriously wet for weeks, and we're drying out now, but...it can be sketchy down there.
All the stuff that used to be really tall and nasty (all along the sides and bottom of the famous ravine is cut short nowadays. It's possible to lose a disc in there, but again, it's not as bad as it used to be.

As for muddy places, I can't think of any that are especially bad. Maybe stay away from Dry Creek...?

Can't stress it enough: don's skip Renny.

Renny is more forgiving now than it has ever been. I play there fairly regularly - it is good to go.

It will eat discs, but no more or less than anywhere else. There's really only one spot you can't go very deep into due to the swampiness. That's the downhill dogleg left on #9 (talking Renny Grey here). If you're not careful with disc selection, you could flip up and head straight out into that mess, and it's basically a lost cause in there. But that also depends on recent rain. It's been seriously wet for weeks, and we're drying out now, but...it can be sketchy down there.
All the stuff that used to be really tall and nasty (all along the sides and bottom of the famous ravine is cut short nowadays. It's possible to lose a disc in there, but again, it's not as bad as it used to be.

As for muddy places, I can't think of any that are especially bad. Maybe stay away from Dry Creek...?

Can't stress it enough: don's skip Renny.

That's great news! I really didn't want to skip it. Is there anything lost from the experience staying on the gray rather than the gold?

That's great news! I really didn't want to skip it. Is there anything lost from the experience staying on the gray rather than the gold?

No, sir. In my opinion, Gold can be just a bit too much after a while. Don't get me wrong - I love it, and play it as often as I can. Which is to say, whenever I can talk my group into it, which ain't very often. It's just par 4 after par 4, and with all the elevation, it can wear you down if you're not playing near-perfect golf.

ETA:
On Grey, you're walking most of the same ground as Gold.
There are a couple of pretty great holes toward the back of the park that you won't see at all if you stick to Grey, but man...Let me put it this way: if your goal is to face a super-tough and tiring course, play Gold. If you want to face a regular-tough course, and have a great time doing it, play Grey. You'll still feel the burn in your legs, trust me.

Grey is hard enough. You'll never have more fun getting beat up. At the same time, it's not so hard as to make you feel like your game is in the crapper when you crawl up out of there. :)
I recommend a lot of mid-range discs. Placement is your friend. :thmbup:

On Grey, you're walking most of the same ground as Gold.
There are a couple of pretty great holes toward the back of the park that you won't see at all if you stick to Grey, but man...Let me put it this way: if your goal is to face a super-tough and tiring course, play Gold. If you want to face a regular-tough course, and have a great time doing it, play Grey. You'll still feel the burn in your legs, trust me.

Awesome, yeah, we've played enough road golf and accept the limitations of our game and bodies to know that gold layouts are not for us if we're trying to get a lot of rounds in. That being said, we're not averse to mixing it up for good holes either though. Which holes on the gold course are you talking about, and is it easy to bounce over there and back to the gray?

Awesome, yeah, we've played enough road golf and accept the limitations of our game and bodies to know that gold layouts are not for us if we're trying to get a lot of rounds in. That being said, we're not averse to mixing it up for good holes either though. Which holes on the gold course are you talking about, and is it easy to bounce over there and back to the gray?

Easy enough if you have a local guide, I'd say. And I'll go ahead and volunteer to be that guy if you don't already have too many on your card. Shoot me a note if that's something you want to consider. (I always bring good beer...and I am no stranger to the purple haze, should that be a form of entertainment common to your group.) :|

The holes I'm referencing are actually over on the Renske (smaller, more of a warm-up course, but also fun) side of the park. On the front side, where Grey and Gold begin, it's quite easy to play several of the Gold holes as you move toward the woods. And it's a nice stroll.
Example: Gold #1 goes to Grey's #2 basket. Gold #2 goes to Grey's #3 basket. Gold # 3 is the same par-4 hole as Grey #4.
Gold 4 is pretty great, and tees from the same spot as Grey, going to a different basket. Gold 5 and 6...also pretty great...

Hell, man. You really have me wanting to go play, like rightthisminute. Why must we have things like 'jobs' and 'bills?' Why can't we all just disc golf from sunup to -down?

I know this isn't very helpful; I'm at work at the moment and trying to be quick...More later, as needed, I guess?

This post is a godsend for those who are planning to make a bachelor party. Thanks for the ideas, guys.

Here are a few tips for anyone who is planning a bachelor party in Charlotte:
1. For golfing, you could check out Winthrop Gold Course, as well as Revolution Park and Charles T. Myers.
2. As for a place to stay, you could look into hotels or vacation rentals in Uptown Charlotte or South End.
3. Speaking of nightlife, Charlotte has a vibrant craft beer scene. Check out NoDa Brewing Company, The Olde Mecklenburg Brewery, and Sycamore Brewing.
For even more ideas and insider tips, head over to https://bachelorpartyinsider.com/. They have tons of info on bachelor party destinations.

Latest posts